Budget 90k+ Need to purchase new system

Hi I would like to purchase new desktop system. My budget is 1,50,000 (One lakh Fifty Thousand). I can increase 50k more if needed then only. But I need such a system which can last for next 10-15 years. Normal system for basic needs stock market, movie watching blueray or hd or 4k movies, listening to songs and all that stuff nothing much. Will be using this system basically for 16-18 hours daily nonstop 365 days a year. I have not filled in any form as I need a completely new system I have provided my budget already provided.

1.5L is overkill for the use case you have. Pick any current gen i5 or ryzen 5, a compatible motherboard and ram, slap it in a case you like, you're good to go. It's hard to predict what hardware and software will be like a decade from now but for your basic browsing/office tasks and movies etc, even a mid range current gen cpu will last a long long time.

Another option is a mini pc or thin client but personally I'd say avoid that because they'd reach end of life within a few years and being proprietary systems you'd not be able to buy off the shelf replacements for anything that fails.

I have not filled in any form as I need a completely new system I have provided my budget already provided.
Form is required to understand what's your usage and preference. Doesn't have anything to do with new or old.

But I need such a system which can last for next 10-15 years.
No electronics made these days last that long. It's highly unlikely. 6-7 years it can. Also, we have zero idea what the computing world will be like in 10 years.

Good thing is, you have an overkill budget. So here's my suggestion. Spend 75k on a build and put the remaining in an FD for 5 years. In 5 years, you'll have more than 1Lakh, enough to replace this system if it fails.

Here's a build suggestion
pcpricetrackerbuild.png

I'd suggest buying a bigger PSU, something ATX 3.0 compatible. Those can easily last for 7-8 years.

What is your budget?
1.5 Lakhs

What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)

CPU - Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
Motherboard - Asus P8Z77-M PRO
GPU - n/a
RAM - Gskill 4 gb ram
Monitor - Dell 2312
PSU - cooler master 650 watts
Hard disk: sea gate 2tb total 2 of them and 1 500 gb seagate and 1 ssd

Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)

hard disc, monitor whichever items can be used rather then buying for new config would love to keep them rather then wasting money for no reason

Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.

I want to purchase a good cabinet, motheboard and cpu and video card and rest I can use old one (Ram and power supply if needed for the new config then only otherwise not)

Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component

Yes I can upgrade anything needed in the system in next 10 years if needed.

Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike: I would prefer mostly asus motherboard as they are long lasting ones

Do not want to buy XYZ company product as I heard the after sales service in India is pathetic: no idea

Are you looking to overclock?
No
Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
Windows 10

If you can also suggest me a good laptop also along with desktop config above it would great. I want to purchase all of them together. I had purchased my existing config with techenclave memnbers help 10-11 years back and till date working fine.

Hi I would like to purchase new desktop system. My budget is 1,50,000 (One lakh Fifty Thousand). I can increase 50k more if needed then only. But I need such a system which can last for next 10-15 years. Normal system for basic needs stock market, movie watching blueray or hd or 4k movies, listening to songs and all that stuff nothing much. Will be using this system basically for 16-18 hours daily nonstop 365 days a year. I have not filled in any form as I need a completely new system I have provided my budget already provided.

I think, you requires system that works OK for Stock Market, 4K Movie, Songs and works of for up to 15 yrs.

Here below is my case (system experience), as I'm too of your thinking that build NEW system that last for 15 yrs. ;)
  1. I was using Intel i5- 2nd Generation from 2011 to 2020 (12 GB DDR3 RAM, Seasonic II PSU, Intel Original Mobo DH67BL & Cooler Master Cabinet, 1TB Seagate HDD).
  2. Power Supply - Seasonic 400 II, failed in 2018 and replaced with Corsair 500
  3. Gskill DDR 3 RAM Failed in 2020 and got replacement of same
  4. Intel original Mobo Failed in 2020 and unable to find any good brand board so bought Generic but it starts showing some issue
  5. so in 2020 Bought Intel i3- 6th Gen Processor + Gigabyte Board + DDR4 RAM (all 2nd hand) and using other parts from above old system and the same system still running
so from above Example, if you want STABLE SYSTEM than go with Intel, but keep in mind that intel Motherboards are very high cost & if same get failed after 5-6 yrs., will be VERY VERY HARD to buy NEW and if you wish to go with 2nd hand board that match your Intel Processor than it may be also hard to get.

2nd Option is AMD, for your work go with AMD 5600G (with onboard iGPU) or Higher with Onboard iGPU for BluRay/4K Movies. I will suggest onboard GPU, so no headache of Graphic Card or it's failure and also you are not in Gaming so why waste money in Graphic Card and than higher consumption of Electricity and pay higher Bill.

No worry about Motherboard Failure with AMD as you may get AMD Boards easily till 8-10 yrs., that support old AMD processors, but you may require good Cooler to keep AMD Cool for 16 hrs. run.

I don't know if Graphic Card add any advantage to watch 4k Movie.

I have no user experience of AMD, what I have suggested here is just what I read here on TE from fellow member post & their uses experience.

Actual AMD system users experience may be differ than my above views.

if same get failed after 5-6 yrs
I'd like to add that unless you are well versed in repairing faulty motherboards, stay away from older Intel processors. My 2010 Clarkdale pair died back in 2018. I bought a 'lapcare' motherboard afterwards for 3500 INR. This replacement mobo lasted a mere 1.3 years and died just after the warranty had expired. As you see, I wasted that 3.5K by trusting these 3rd party mobos.

Better to get newer gen stuff that will be supported for years to come. Also, get mobos that are manufactured by well-known brands with at least two years of warranty. I think three years is the industry standard these days.

I think, you requires system that works OK for Stock Market, 4K Movie, Songs and works of for up to 15 yrs.

Here below is my case (system experience), as I'm too of your thinking that build NEW system that last for 15 yrs. ;)
  1. I was using Intel i5- 2nd Generation from 2011 to 2020 (12 GB DDR3 RAM, Seasonic II PSU, Intel Original Mobo DH67BL & Cooler Master Cabinet, 1TB Seagate HDD).
  2. Power Supply - Seasonic 400 II, failed in 2018 and replaced with Corsair 500
  3. Gskill DDR 3 RAM Failed in 2020 and got replacement of same
  4. Intel original Mobo Failed in 2020 and unable to find any good brand board so bought Generic but it starts showing some issue
  5. so in 2020 Bought Intel i3- 6th Gen Processor + Gigabyte Board + DDR4 RAM (all 2nd hand) and using other parts from above old system and the same system still running
so from above Example, if you want STABLE SYSTEM than go with Intel, but keep in mind that intel Motherboards are very high cost & if same get failed after 5-6 yrs., will be VERY VERY HARD to buy NEW and if you wish to go with 2nd hand board that match your Intel Processor than it may be also hard to get.

2nd Option is AMD, for your work go with AMD 5600G (with onboard iGPU) or Higher with Onboard iGPU for BluRay/4K Movies. I will suggest onboard GPU, so no headache of Graphic Card or it's failure and also you are not in Gaming so why waste money in Graphic Card and than higher consumption of Electricity and pay higher Bill.

No worry about Motherboard Failure with AMD as you may get AMD Boards easily till 8-10 yrs., that support old AMD processors, but you may require good Cooler to keep AMD Cool for 16 hrs. run.

I don't know if Graphic Card add any advantage to watch 4k Movie.

I have no user experience of AMD, what I have suggested here is just what I read here on TE from fellow member post & their uses experience.

Actual AMD system users experience may be differ than my above views.
+1 for the advice. Intel would be the preferred option for long term use as they provide stable drivers (which will be a blessing when support for your cpu and motherboard might end) unlike AMD where drivers are buggy even during launch.

Any modern i5 paired with a decent motherboard will work perfectly and modern processors and igpus can handle even 8k playback so 4k playback would be a breeze. I would suggest investing in a good motherboard and not cheap out as you will lose out on many modern features in a budget offering such as usb 3.2 gen 2 (10gbps), AX wifi, 2.5gbit ethernet, and pcie 4 m.2 slot. All these will help future proof the build

I'd like to add that unless you are well versed in repairing faulty motherboards, stay away from older Intel processors. My 2010 Clarkdale pair died back in 2018. I bought a 'lapcare' motherboard afterwards for 3500 INR. This replacement mobo lasted a mere 1.3 years and died just after the warranty had expired. As you see, I wasted that 3.5K by trusting these 3rd party mobos.

Better to get newer gen stuff that will be supported for years to come. Also, get mobos that are manufactured by well-known brands with at least two years of warranty. I think three years is the industry standard these days.
Intel also has a greedy practice of constantly changing CPU pin layouts so good luck with buying a branded motherboard after 4-5 years. AMD is much better in that regard. I believe AM5 will still be around in 2030.

I want to purchase a good cabinet, motheboard and cpu and video card
Why a video card, if your usage does not require it?
If you want one anyway just for the sake of it etc, I say go ahead, but just know it's not needed for the usage you have expressed.

What is your budget?
1.5 Lakhs

What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)

CPU - Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
Motherboard - Asus P8Z77-M PRO
GPU - n/a
RAM - Gskill 4 gb ram
Monitor - Dell 2312
PSU - cooler master 650 watts
Hard disk: sea gate 2tb total 2 of them and 1 500 gb seagate and 1 ssd

Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)

hard disc, monitor whichever items can be used rather then buying for new config would love to keep them rather then wasting money for no reason

Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.

I want to purchase a good cabinet, motheboard and cpu and video card and rest I can use old one (Ram and power supply if needed for the new config then only otherwise not)

Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component

Yes I can upgrade anything needed in the system in next 10 years if needed.

Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike: I would prefer mostly asus motherboard as they are long lasting ones

Do not want to buy XYZ company product as I heard the after sales service in India is pathetic: no idea

Are you looking to overclock?
No
Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
Windows 10

If you can also suggest me a good laptop also along with desktop config above it would great. I want to purchase all of them together. I had purchased my existing config with techenclave memnbers help 10-11 years back and till date working fine.
You don't need to spend 1.5L, a 50k budget is plenty enough. Use your existing PSU and HDD if it's in good condition. What's the exact model of your PSU BTW?

Rn, Intel doesn't have much VFM chips, so AMD is the better option for now. Choose between AM4 and AM5 socket on AMD as well, AM4 is the more budget friendly option while losing out on future CPU generation support, whereas AM5 is the opposite.

AM5- https://pcpricetracker.in/b/s/723abc66-09a7-42ed-8492-86bd4a9625c5

Any processor at stock speeds can for 15 years.
Any ram at stock speeds can run for 15 years.
With graphics card it depends, if it stays cool and not runs at full load might be able to cross 10 years.
SSDs are okay.
HDDs is still a gamble.

What will not run for 15 years, when power cycled daily.
Motherboard.
Power supply.

Since these have huge number of electrolytic capacitors for filtering, which will dry out or can bulge up because these have limited charge and discharge cycles, and these get severely affected by surrounding high temperature.

For power supply it's better to leave its main power on so that its input caps always stay charged.

You might be able to run a system for 15 years if it doesn't power cycle everyday.

Last edited:
+1 for the advice. Intel would be the preferred option for long term use as they provide stable drivers (which will be a blessing when support for your cpu and motherboard might end) unlike AMD where drivers are buggy even during launch.
I got same advice against AMD (long term driver/software issue) in 2010 and now in 2023 still knowing same is really a pain, AMD system is value for money but .... can't ignore DRIVER issue when some one build system that last long for 10-15 yrs. or more.

Any processor at stock speeds can for 15 years.
Any ram at stock speeds can run for 15 years.
With graphics card it depends, if it stays cool and not runs at full load might be able to cross 10 years.
SSDs are okay.
HDDs is still a gamble.

What will not run for 15 years, when power cycled daily.
Motherboard.
Power supply.

Since these have huge number of electrolytic capacitors for filtering, which will dry out or can bulge up because these have limited charge and discharge cycles, and these get severely affected by surrounding high temperature.

For power supply it's better to leave its main power on so that its input caps always stay charged.

You might be able to run a system for 15 years if it doesn't power cycle everyday.
Doing powercycle for my old system since past 11 years daily after sitting for 14-15 hrs daily non stop. Only during some family emergencies a few days in 5-6 years might have not used otherwise a heavy user as I stay alone and hardly get any time free due to my office and personal work both.

AMD processors are fine, most of the long term issues mentioned are probably with pre - Zen architecture, like Bulldozer and Excavator. After Zen was introduced, there isn't much of a comparison in 'longevity' between Intel and AMD.

You don't need to spend 1.5L, a 50k budget is plenty enough. Use your existing PSU and HDD if it's in good condition. What's the exact model of your PSU BTW?

Rn, Intel doesn't have much VFM chips, so AMD is the better option for now. Choose between AM4 and AM5 socket on AMD as well, AM4 is the more budget friendly option while losing out on future CPU generation support, whereas AM5 is the opposite.

AM5- https://pcpricetracker.in/b/s/723abc66-09a7-42ed-8492-86bd4a9625c5
I want to go only for Asus Motherboard. Money is not an issue for me

Back