Need to learn how to make Android Apps

adilj

Adept
Hey,
Wanted to learn how to make apps for phones (iOS, BB and android)...

If any of u guys know how to do that or from where i can learn how to make apps than please let me know.

Share links or any knid of reading material.

TIA

iOS - objectiveC.
Android - Java.
BB - Java variant.

Pick what language you are comfortable with. I'd suggest skipping BB as there is a huge demand for both Android and iPhone developers in India. As suggested by krishnandu, start with one platform and once you get the hang of it, then try the other one.

iOS will require a Mac/Hackintosh, there are alternatives but I have not found a suitable and painfree one. Android will require the SDK and an IDE like Eclipse which will work on a Windows PC.

There are a few cross-platform tools which support both Android + iOS but your will be restricted to that specific tool for all your needs. That is not recommended.

Another good platform is Windows Phone 7. It lacks good apps & coding is easier with Visual Studio. So you can also try developing for WP7.

@pauldmps: ur advice is duly noted.

@pr0ing: is there a sw in which i can write a code for say iOS and it will convert it for BB as well as Android or either ways... More like a cross complier that works properly.

@avi: ordered begning andoird 2 from amazon.

lida said:
@pr0ing: is there a sw in which i can write a code for say iOS and it will convert it for BB as well as Android or either ways... More like a cross complier that works properly.

lol..No, Never, It won't.

All are diff. platforms, and the base is diff. as mentioned by p0ring.

lida said:
Ok cool will check out iOS
Well, I'd say don't hop around. Just set up your mind and get going. If you really want to develop for Android, give some more time to Java, as you already know Java Core, so it'll just be a matter of practice I guess to get prominent. And then try Android.

If you are much prominent in C, iOS is for you.

lida said:
There is only one option that I am aware of - AIR. You would have to learn Flex for that though. The advantage however is great, you write once and deploy in the platform of your choice - desktop, android or ios

lida said:

cross platform tools requier you to code in their specific language which can be C/Java/anything. Like agantuk has mentioned, Adobe AIR requires you to code in Flex, and then it will make an 'executable' for various platforms. The problem with this type of a solution is that you are learning Flex programming and not Android/iOS programming. There is nothing bad in that but it is not what you wanted in the first place.

Another disadvantage of such tools is that you are completely dependent on them to release an update for any new features that are added in the latest revision of Android/iOS.

What is your objective in learning a new platform? career growth/hobby/???

pr0ing said:
cross platform tools requier you to code in their specific language which can be C/Java/anything. Like agantuk has mentioned, Adobe AIR requires you to code in Flex, and then it will make an 'executable' for various platforms. The problem with this type of a solution is that you are learning Flex programming and not Android/iOS programming. There is nothing bad in that but it is not what you wanted in the first place.

Another disadvantage of such tools is that you are completely dependent on them to release an update for any new features that are added in the latest revision of Android/iOS.

What is your objective in learning a new platform? career growth/hobby/???
Hobby actually have loads of time on my hands so thought may just learn something new....

but i think i am going to stick to learning iOS first and then followed by android (cause dont know so much of java will have to practice)

I just know C and C++, even I can try ? or do I have to learn any other languages ? like embedded c etc

avi said:
I just know C and C++, even I can try ? or do I have to learn any other languages ? like embedded c etc
iOS = Objective C

Android = Java

BB = Java

Symbian = C

Yes, of course you can try, there is no harm trying. But if you are just novice in C, then give some more time to be Advanced.

Back