Need suggestions to pursue MBA or MS or MIS part time

m-jeri

A Nobody.
Skilled
Hi All...

So i had some grand plans to quit my job and study full time for MS or MIS. Guess, its not going to happen, the further years go the chances for that also is getting less.

So need some help. I need some guidance as to which or where can i pursue a MBA or MS or MIS part time that is worthwhile. Only MS i know is from BITS Pilani which my company also has some tie up which they will pay 50% fee also. Other than that no clue.

BTech Comp Sci fellow. Just looking this is a career forwarding tool. Thats why MIS is in the list.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.

I can tell you about the MBA part. Depending on which city you are from you can do executive courses (generally runs on the weekends) from premium institutes. If you are looking at a return of investment I would urge you to do it from only very good institutes. Post some more details and I can help you.

Although I'm not too sure about MS/MTech if you want to work in India but MBA is surely a career forwarding tool.
However, if you pursue MS from US then it becomes a different story as employability becomes more.

You can go for a full time one year MBA like those offered by IIMs and ISB in particular.

I'm also not too sure about a part time MBA from India although such courses are in vogue in European nations.

Software Engineer. With around 7 years of total exp.. in that around 1.5 to 2 in team leading role.. Offshore and Onsite experiences.

B Tech Comp Sci with a 68% fellow.

Want to get into management side of things then mba.
want to stick to computers & IT work, MS or MIS.
If abroad a possibility, go for it.
For MBA - Top IIMs, ISB only. Part time MBA in India is long and not going to be helpful for your profile.
Do it before the wrong end of the 20's. Once you touch 30, you can forget about studying plans.

Yea... I want management, but i dont want to leave the technical side of it. I really don't see the merit in it.

Sadly it wont be both. It will be an either/or situation.
The only way it will be both is when you setup your own business which Im assuming is out of question right now.
When you get into mba, it will be managerial/consulting role in companies.
MS/MIS will be more hands on development, research, application work.

I have a seen people moving on from MS/MIS then couple of years of work & then MBA eventually.
At the same time, lots of people stick to MS and then hardcore application work in top companies, do PHD & then get into teaching/consulting.
You will have to make a call for what you really want to do ... short & long term.

I would suggest stick to MS. Even though with your kinda experience you should land a job easily with an MBA from a good institute, but I can tell you don't really wanna go for it.
I am myself planning to go for MS in a year and a half. I am 26 right now and run a small business of my own. Did my BTech in IT but never sat for any interviews as I didn't wanna join a service based company( no offence meant). My parents have been very supportive towards me and my brother ( he is currently training to become a video game programmer). Within a year I would have saved enough to cover my tuition and 2 years expenses in the US. I don't wanna work when I will be studying and neither do I wanna take a student loan, at least not from Indian banks.
For me, I would never do MBA. I always believe in learning on the job and I prefer staying on the technical side of the table.
But to each his own so weigh out the pros and cons, check out forums like PagalGuy but most importantly, listen to your heart.

I been frequenting PG for around 3 years now. I can spend 1 year and most of the money for fee. But it means I blow up my savings.
Savings of a Indian Ingineer. So, not so comfortable in doing that. I am lazy by habit and Renegade by heart. So never want to give up on this.
This is like the last one thing.. I have left to do on my road map for education. Don't feel like throwing it away.

I want to sit in the middle of the table. As i feel always comfortable there. Cannot explain how or why.

I read this somewhere : Don't let education come in the way of learning.

I think you should really weigh the pros and cons, because it seems that you are not really sure where you want to be. Take time, think about it and decide. There is some good information in this thread but you will have to answer the question yourself. :)

IMO (to be taken with two full spoons of salt):
1. MBA - You will be facing quite a difficult time getting through the selections. Nowadays instis prefer fresher out of college crowd instead of 7yrs experienced people - its confounding as it should be reverse but then thats how Indian schools work.
You can obviously do the executive 1yr MBA but then you must have good contacts within your company to leverage it. Most executive MBA courses don't really deliver on big campus offers.
Then there is ISB which you can opt for. Fees are quite high though.
2. MS - India, no use. One of my former colleagues completed MIS from BITS (same tie up and 50% fees), no career advancement, nada. (maybe we are talking about the same employer ;), eh?)

I suggest look for a lateral movement within your company. Those are the best prospects to furthering careers.

Last edited:
IMO (to be taken with two full spoons of salt):
1. MBA - You will be facing quite a difficult time getting through the selections. Nowadays instis prefer fresher out of college crowd instead of 7yrs experienced people - its confounding as it should be reverse but then thats how Indian schools work.
You can obviously do the executive 1yr MBA but then you must have good contacts within your company to leverage it. Most executive MBA courses don't really deliver on big campus offers.
Then there is ISB which you can opt for. Fees are quite high though.
2. MS - India, no use. One of my former colleagues completed MIS from BITS (same tie up and 50% fees), no career advancement, nada. (maybe we are talking about the same employer ;), eh?)

I suggest look for a vertical movement within your company. Those are the best prospects to furthering careers.

Actually there is a difference between the one year mba (that has come in vogue in India only a few years back) and the executive mba (which may or may not be of one year but is usually a part time affair).

ISB PGP and IIM-A PGPX are actually very good programs in India and are directed at the people with work ex.
The usual profile of a candidate at ISB is an engineer with 5 years (average) work ex.
Average work ex is even more for IIM-A.
Recently the IIM-B one year program has also come in the FT rankings.

Other than that, yes MS from India is not a good option.

To be frank with the amount of work-ex you have settling for any MBA institute excluding the old IIMt's and ISB , to some extent GLIM-Chennai 1 year PGPM course you should not settle for anything less in India. Most of the MBA colleges refuse to take people with 5+ work-ex and say you get through are lso , I doubt you will get satisfactory roles/pay, so i would say do a executive course abroad or if from India one of the above colleges

To be frank with the amount of work-ex you have settling for any MBA institute excluding the old IIMt's and ISB , to some extent GLIM-Chennai 1 year PGPM course you should not settle for anything less in India. Most of the MBA colleges refuse to take people with 5+ work-ex and say you get through are lso , I doubt you will get satisfactory roles/pay, so i would say do a executive course abroad or if from India one of the above colleges

That is another weird phenomenon I have seen here. Most of the companies that come to MBA institutes (that are not in the top 15 bracket) don't even want people with 2 years of work-ex! My friend had passed out from Goa Inst of Mgmt in 2012. He said that except a few companies, most of them had openings only for freshers.

That is another weird phenomenon I have seen here. Most of the companies that come to MBA institutes (that are not in the top 15 bracket) don't even want people with 2 years of work-ex! My friend had passed out from Goa Inst of Mgmt in 2012. He said that except a few companies, most of them had openings only for freshers.
It happens even in top 15 too :)
And it is because experienced people are penny wise and they ask for pesky things like "work life balances", privacy and don't readily indulge in boss worship. They are way past due their "ride them hard" dates.

One more thing I would like to add, quality of PG courses is really bad in India, even in IITs. I am in one of premiere institutes of India which is top in CS, my exp here is really not good. So if you want quality education, not namesake degree, then don't do in India.

If you really don't care about degree then attend courses on Coursera. Far better.

Yes, it's true that the technical PG courses in India ain't worth it.

Although the top universities are in mostly in US, the UK universities usually offer one year MSc programs.

^dont forget Europe and MS is almost FREE. No fee at all.

Even the top 250th college of US will be better than our #1 IIT, IMHO.

How is MS almost free?
Do you mean "as compared to MBA"?

I was checking out some courses in UK for myself and the tuition fees for one year is around 15k pounds, add to that the living expenses and it comes out to be around 25 lacs for one year.

In most of Europian counties MS Fee is very less and top of it you get stipend, which makes it almost FREE. Even many German univerisities have very very less fee.

source: own experience.

Back