Need suggestions for printer !

Scorpy

Adept
Well I want to buy a new printer . Now I dunno if I should go for a laser printer or a normal inkjet one . I use the printer very often for pictures and documents and projects. I've heard that some printers' cartridges can be refilled easy multiple times or at least once . Please suggest a good printer laser/inkjet in around 5k range ... but the ink should be refillable or at least a new one shouldnt cost around 1k . Besides fast printing whats better about laser printers ?

advantages of laser i can think of off the top of my head:-

1. speed

2. better for text (in terms of accounts and all where a little blotch can mean huge headache)

3. paper alignment precision: we use a laser at work to print labels as small as .25x1 inch with 3-4 lines of text

4. longer run time between refills/cart changes.

now coming to the inkjet:-

1. cheaper

2. less power consumption

for personal use i prefer a inkjet since its far easier to refill ink carts than toners.. and in the same i would either suggest buying a epson printer with 73n carts (and you can ebay 73n refill carts) or you can buy a brother printer which also comes with refillable carts (basically carts in which u just pop a cap open and pour in ink from a bottle..;))

personally i dont think itl get any cheaper than tat..

I am thinking of getting a canon though. I have heard that Canon's have good ink efficiency. Had been using HP ones for quite a few years and don't like HP stuff anymore. The problem is that i don't know where to go look for printers in Bangalore. Anyone knows a place where i can find a good collection of Canons?

im already using a canon one man .. the MP145 and it drinks ink :p .. i have got new ink 3 times already ... thats 1k for each black and color = 2k x 3= 6k = double the cost of the damn printer ... thats why im finding an hp one which had good refilling mod :p

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

amityrock said:
advantages of laser i can think of off the top of my head:-

1. speed

2. better for text (in terms of accounts and all where a little blotch can mean huge headache)

3. paper alignment precision: we use a laser at work to print labels as small as .25x1 inch with 3-4 lines of text

4. longer run time between refills/cart changes.

now coming to the inkjet:-

1. cheaper

2. less power consumption

for personal use i prefer a inkjet since its far easier to refill ink carts than toners.. and in the same i would either suggest buying a epson printer with 73n carts (and you can ebay 73n refill carts) or you can buy a brother printer which also comes with refillable carts (basically carts in which u just pop a cap open and pour in ink from a bottle..;))

personally i dont think itl get any cheaper than tat..

yes thats what i want ... pop it open and refill ... i dont care if the quality goes down but as long as im getting my text being printed fine its alright ... ill search for epson .. any other hp suggestions ?

Grass is greener on the other side :)

Can't find the MP145 in their website. The ones i see in their website do not need 3 cartridges for color. I am going to bet my money on their FINE cartridges next.

@ scorpy: also consider the brother aio. got one with wifi and fax for 11.5k including a set of the self refillable cartridges an im a happy soul! prints well ( as good as a professional hp photosmart we use at work which is 2-3x ta price and we use original carts at work.)

the printer was readily available in np, delhi along with the refillable carts aswell.

I'm using an Epson TX101 (all in one) which cost me around 3K plus a set of refillable cartridges (73N) from ebay. Works out very cheap if u are a heavy user.

@arvnd yes I have decided to go for TX121 with the 73N cartridges . I saw this link in another thread and hopefully it aint a lame ripoff ---> eBay India: REFILL CARTRIDGE EPSON 73N / 91N TX111, T11 + 500ml ink (item 190424154416 end time 25-Nov-2010 00:52:49 IST)

@amityrock : I went on the brother site but i didnt see any normal aio inkjet .. the site only has a bunch of laser printers shown there . Can you gimme some cheaper models than 11.5k ? thats a bit toooo much for a home use printer .. i need something within max 3.5-4k not a single buck more .

^^ no buddy, it aint a rip off :)

I bought the same exact product from ebay from the same seller. Works well with zero issues till now. Cartridge build quality (plastic) might not be as good as original, but it works perfectly fine. I'm happy with the purchase.

Take a look at HP 910 , its pretty expensive, but the ink cartridges are quite cheap(less than Rs. 500)

Also build quality is pretty good

1 more thing u can do is call HP sales, if you tell them ur requirements, they'll suggest options, then u can research those models to find the one you want

Back