Need suggestions for a wifi range extender!

enc0dex264

Disciple
I've been looking at several videos and articles and they suggest I should go for a mesh network instead of a range extender.. the problem with that is i dont have a ethernet connection at the back of my house and i dont want to run a external ethernet cable.

I had a cheap 1k rs tplink 2.4ghz extender and it doesnt work at all.. the signals show full but browsing website is so slow it feels like its not even 1mbps.

my main router is a JioFiber router, should i go for a 5ghz extender or use a high end router with WPS mode and extend it? or is it pointless without a ethernet connection?

anyone whose solved this problem without a ethernet access point?

thanks in advance

I'm running a tp link a6 + 2* re305 in one mesh. You need dual band for sure.
Some tweaks I've tried
Google DNS: faster browsing
Scheduling daily restarts at 3am - somewhat useful
More powerful extender - re450- better range and speed
Flashing openwrt. Not much change in range, but lot more stable and less dropped connections

But if you going to buy some new equipment, I would say get some mesh stuff cheap on sale or used from here. You'll need to spend 5-8k to get a good repeater setup.

Do you have any spare/old router lying around? If so, you can try that first.

I have used a router as extender and it worked well for me. But you'll have to make sure that router itself is in a place where reception is good.

I'm running a tp link a6 + 2* re305 in one mesh. You need dual band for sure.
Some tweaks I've tried
Google DNS: faster browsing
Scheduling daily restarts at 3am - somewhat useful
More powerful extender - re450- better range and speed
Flashing openwrt. Not much change in range, but lot more stable and less dropped connections

But if you going to buy some new equipment, I would say get some mesh stuff cheap on sale or used from here. You'll need to spend 5-8k to get a good repeater setup.
are you running the re305 without a ethernet connection? so just in range extender mode? would something like that solve me issue?

Do you have any spare/old router lying around? If so, you can try that first.

I have used a router as extender and it worked well for me. But you'll have to make sure that router itself is in a place where reception is good.
I have a 2.4ghz extender which is a pretty basic cheap tp link model.. it doesnt work.. speeds too low.. i have a very old router aswell but that one again is 2.4ghz.. i'm thinking there might be alot of 2.4ghz congestion so maybe thats why the speed is really bad.

Netgear EX6110 has a feature called "fastlane" wherein you transmit at 2.4 band and receive at 5ghz band or vice-versa and this gives you full bandwidth without interference.

What is your current internet speed? Also how much are you looking to spend and what's the area you are looking to cover approximately in sqft or like wifi across entire 3bhk?

What is your current internet speed? Also how much are you looking to spend and what's the area you are looking to cover approximately in sqft or like wifi across entire 3bhk?
300mbps.. its a 3bhk with varandas on both sides.. (10 marla kothi) and i'm looking to spend to less than 5k.. the jio router is right at the front of the house and i'm looking for good coverage at the back of the house.. inbetween is fine, its the last room+back varanda that is a big issue.

are you running the re305 without a ethernet connection?
Yes.
just in range extender mode?
Yes, though technically in one mesh (tp link proprietary mesh) setup with my a6
would something like that solve me issue?
The out of the box performance is a bit lacking. With some tweaks it's decent, but my re450 is much better. Earlier I had an a6 with 3 re305 and still has blind spots. Now I use a6 and just one 450 after relocation the a6 to the centre of my house, and the coverage is great (a6 and modem etc used to sit in one corner earlier)

If I had to start from scratch, I'd go with mesh. I used a set of two iball mesh routers in my in laws flat and their coverage was decent, and the setup was painless.
The important think it's that you'll have to do some tweaks (like using different DNS, setting reboot schedules for your router, identifying the best bands, etc tu get the most out of any setup)

I've been told elsewhere on this forum by more experienced folks that I should just give up on trying to tweak consumer grade stuff, it's just plain crap, switch to enterprise grade stuff

Also, does your house have wiring for phone connections, you can use those wires for lan

Last edited:
Yes.

Yes, though technically in one mesh (tp link proprietary mesh) setup with my a6

The out of the box performance is a bit lacking. With some tweaks it's decent, but my re450 is much better. Earlier I had an a6 with 3 re305 and still has blind spots. Now I use a6 and just one 450 after relocation the a6 to the centre of my house, and the coverage is great (a6 and modem etc used to sit in one corner earlier)

If I had to start from scratch, I'd go with mesh. I used a set of two iball mesh routers in my in laws flat and their coverage was decent, and the setup was painless.
The important think it's that you'll have to do some tweaks (like using different DNS, setting reboot schedules for your router, identifying the best bands, etc tu get the most out of any setup)

I've been told elsewhere on this forum by more experienced folks that I should just give up on trying to tweak consumer grade stuff, it's just plain crap, switch to enterprise grade stuff

Also, does your house have wiring for phone connections, you can use those wires for lan
thanks for the suggestions.. i do have phone wiring, i'll look into it and see if it can be used to extend ethernet.

Back