2. Creative 2.1 speakers.
3. Core i7-920 D0 stepping processor
4. 6 GB DDR3 RAM
5. 1 160GB HDD, 1 80 GB HDD
6. 1 DVD RW
7. 4850 Graphics card
8. NZXT TEMPEST Cabinet
9. Corsair TX650W PSU

I want an UPS which will provide a backup for a maximum of 10 minutes. Kindly suggest me the VA value required and company suggestions. I know APC is good, but its too costly. Please do suggest me alternates too.

TIA!

Aparajith .S

I would suggest you to look for some pure sine wave UPS. For the config you have, its better to go in for a 1KVA minimum, that works out to some 630 watts of power.

APC has SUA1000UXi which works out to 12k approx without batteries.. Any sinewave UPS for that matter would be 10K minimum...

I would suggest not to compromise your components by looking out for cheap UPS

Thanks for the suggestion. And am not looking for some cheapo UPS. Am looking for cheaper than APC, something in the likes of NUMERIC etc. Other than APC who else produces pure sine wave?

Have you checked the prices of SuKam Inverter/Home UPS ? I think they are priced, without batteries, within Rs 4500-6500 (depends on your location/city/state). (Example: In Bangalore it is around Rs 6500 whereas in Mumbai it is around Rs 4500. )

If you need to calculate the consumption to select a appropriate VA UPS, here is a link: The Home UPS/Inverter Buying Guide — iLog

There are many try checking out for these

PowerSafe

Champion

Sukam

Microtek

Not sure about reliability of others. But have heard good about Champion. Its a Pune based manufacturer of UPS. Check out their website as below.

ChampionUps

Ok guys, We are providing a inverter connection for the whole house and I plan to connect the PC to it. One socket in my room will be dedicated to the inverter. So I need a few details:

1. How good are these UPS's in controlling voltage fluctuations? Am getting a WHIRLPOOL UPS.

2. If they cannot control fluctuations, what can be used to prevent damage to my PC? Any stabilizers need to be used or will a spike-buster power strip do?

3. If a power strip is to be used, can u guys specify a good brand for the same?

TIA!

Hi,

For a standalone UPS, I will suggest Numeric. I used it and it proved very reliable, VFM and good customer service.

For Powering whole house, Iam currently using a SuKam inverter.. it has a switch for Inverter - UPS mode. Switchover time is fine.

vortex_mak said:
Hi,

For a standalone UPS, I will suggest Numeric. I used it and it proved very reliable, VFM and good customer service.

For Powering whole house, Iam currently using a SuKam inverter.. it has a switch for Inverter - UPS mode. Switchover time is fine.
Mate, read my last post!!!

well all stabilizers and UPS can only protect and do AVR upto a certain voltage.
apc ups goes to backup mode if the voltage input is above 260 to 270v.it will continue to power ur pc upto a voltage of upto 320v after which even the UPS itself will go kaput.

a stabilzer like the V-guard digtal series will continue to power the pc upto a input voltage of 290v,after which it will shut off the output,it will remain in that state again upt0 320v input,after which the stabilzer will go kaput,but not sure whether it will take the pc or the connected device along with it.

Never go for home UPS since those are not pure sine wave.... Always trust pure sine wave UPS for computers like Numeric, Microteck, but i am not sure about the cost difference between APC and other brands when it comes to pure sinewave

and...before buying APC..run a search about their service in India.

APC online service replies promptly but without any answer. They close the questions you log without providing answers.

Then, the field service doesnt do anything like its logged on the website. If the replacement is ordered by the office, they delay it by any number of days, while the support people would tell you its completed already.

Back