Need modem + router for pc and smart tv

a little more info might be needed, like distance between your bedroom and the hall, your intended placement-spot for the router, and interfering walls in between. anyway, have a look at TP-link TD-W8968 too. getting a good feedback.

a little more info might be needed, like distance between your bedroom and the hall, your intended placement-spot for the router, and interfering walls in between. anyway, have a look at TP-link TD-W8968 too. getting a good feedback.
distance between bedroom and hall might be 30feet.
I will place the router in my center of wall of bedroom from where there can be angle directed to hall tv which is attached to wall. There is no direct wall inbetween but a cross angle wall but small gap is there, means I can see small portion of tv from my bedroom.
I have this tv LG 42LS5700 LED 42 inches Full HD Television
I guess this also requires dongle, so suggest dongle too. Will this dongle work?
What will you be doing on the smart tv, just youtube & internet browsing or more ?
I have never used internet on smart tv before, so I don't have much info on it, guess youtube and internet browsing and tv software update will be enough.[DOUBLEPOST=1379679421][/DOUBLEPOST]Also one query, why should I go for 300mbps router?
150mbps won't be enough?
Because I have just 2mbps connection and after 8gb it reduces to 512kbps.

the W8968 should be able to cover the said area. if you have a small passageway in between, you may also think of putting the router midway there. place it at a height of 5-6 ft., with the antennae at either right-angles to the router, or slightly towards the area you want to cover, with the LED lights either facing the floor below, or the wall on which the router is fixed/placed.

don't know whether dongle would be required with the TV or not, as i don't use the 'smart' features of my TV. but if you need a dongle, i would suggest you to get an Asus N10 or a similar offering from Netgear/TP-link. with their cheaper counterparts, signal-dropping and poor-reception is a major issue, as far as i know.

N300 routers, like the W8968, come with double antennae (plus, the option of replacing the stock-antennae to more powerful ones). this helps with extending the reach of the wifi signals. so if you have the budget, you should opt for such a router if you plan on covering a considerable area under wifi-network (anyway, if not now, am sure you would feel the need for a wider coverage in future, after getting a router now).

I have this tv LG 42LS5700 LED 42 inches Full HD Television
I guess this also requires dongle, so suggest dongle too. Will this dongle work?
Your TV already has wifi <--(see the wifi cert) and its specs

Dual band and is N300 :)

Also one query, why should I go for 300mbps router?
150mbps won't be enough?
Because I have just 2mbps connection and after 8gb it reduces to 512kbps.
N300 routers tend to have more range. Also your TV is a N300.

N300 means you should be able to stream upto HD but not full HD.[DOUBLEPOST=1379684886][/DOUBLEPOST]
Important: We have light fluctuation, so condition is that it should reconnect link quickly after interference because I work from internet at home
Put the router on a UPS.

Last edited:
Your TV already has wifi <--(see the wifi cert) and its specs

Dual band and is N300 :)

N300 routers tend to have more range. Also your TV is a N300.

N300 means you should be able to stream upto HD but not full HD.[DOUBLEPOST=1379684886][/DOUBLEPOST]
Put the router on a UPS.
I have inverter at home and ups is used for computer. Even if I attach router to ups, link is reset after power fluctuation, its very sensitive.

BTW do I need 300mbps one? Because my internet speed is hardly 512kbps unlimited bsnl.:facepalm:[DOUBLEPOST=1379686445][/DOUBLEPOST]Edit: My tv says its wifi ready, so it might require dongle.

Last edited:
I have inverter at home and ups is used for computer. Even if I attach router to ups, link is reset after power fluctuation, its very sensitive.
Which UPS do you have ?

My modem & router don't lose the connection at all when connected to the APC UPS. You did say you were getting ADSL right. ADSL is seperate to power, your will phone work even if the power fluctuates.

BTW do I need 300mbps one? Because my internet speed is hardly 512kbps unlimited bsnl.:facepalm:[DOUBLEPOST=1379686445][/DOUBLEPOST]Edit: My tv says its wifi ready, so it might require dongle.
Yes, because you will want to stream movies & photos to your tv at some point.

For your setup N300 would be better. N150 is for people that have everything in the same room and only for basic internet browsing.

The specs say your tv has wifi already. That's what wifi ready means. No need for a dongle.

Home->Settings->Network->Network Connection (wired or wireless) see that in your tv ?

as indicated in the user guide.

Last edited:
Which UPS do you have ?

My modem & router don't lose the connection at all when connected to the APC UPS. You did say you were getting ADSL right. ADSL is seperate to power, your will phone work even if the power fluctuates.

Yes, because you will want to stream movies & photos to your tv at some point.

For your setup N300 would be better. N150 is for people that have everything in the same room and only for basic internet browsing.

The specs say your tv has wifi already. That's what wifi ready means. No need for a dongle.

Home->Settings->Network->Network Connection (wired or wireless) see that in your tv ?

as indicated in the user guide.
I have Cyber Power 800VA UPS. I have attached my cpu only to it becuase last 2 times my adapter was burned by power fluctuations and UPS battery also died, so electrician told me not to plug in adapter of my modem to UPS. So I plug CPU to my UPS and monitor, speaker and modem adapter to my belkin surge protector. UPS wire is also taking power from my belkin surge protector.
When power fluctuation happens, link to my modem is reset and takes time to come back.

These are some of the network and apps photos of my tv. It says connect dongle! I think wifi ready means you need dongle and inbuilt wifi don't need dongle.

7JgNiwZ.jpg

x2W3OtO.jpg

8xV9jzQ.jpg

VVQNryH.jpg

I have Cyber Power 800VA UPS. I have attached my cpu only to it becuase last 2 times my adapter was burned by power fluctuations and UPS battery also died, so electrician told me not to plug in adapter of my modem to UPS. So I plug CPU to my UPS and monitor, speaker and modem adapter to my belkin surge protector. UPS wire is also taking power from my belkin surge protector.
When power fluctuation happens, link to my modem is reset and takes time to come back.
Can you confirm whether you have the 800VA version of this product ?

If your modem adapter got burnt that means the ups does not provide protection for over volting ie surges are getting through.

The modem resets because there is an interruption in the power ie the UPS does not react fast enough.

Is your ups overloaded ? that it cannot maintain the current level when power fluctuates. Does cyber power provide some software with this product that you can monitor with a PC attached to see what the load is when the UPS is on with all your devices attached ?

These are some of the network and apps photos of my tv. It says connect dongle! I think wifi ready means you need dongle and inbuilt wifi don't need dongle.

7JgNiwZ.jpg
Ok, it seems non-american versions of your tv do not come with built-in wifi. So these are your options..

- Get the wifi dongle LG makes for this tv. I cannot find a list of compatible wifi dongles provided by LG, so cannot say which other dongles might work unless you can find such only the LG wifi dongle will work. Talk to LG support and ask whether they have a list of compatible dongles. Searching around, the LG dongle is LG AN-WF100. Its dual band N300 dongle.

- If you cannot source this dongle in India then you will have to use a bridge, this will be an extra item to purchase that hooks up to the ethernet port of the TV. Driver compatibility will not be an issue. The advantage of a bridge is you can position it anywhere, a far as the ethernet cable you have attached to it will go, so you can improve signal reception better than with a dongle which is attached to the tv and has a tiny antenna.

Bridge comes in N150 or N300. given the distance of 30 feet with a side wall, i'm not sure how well N150 will work and think N300 is better. N300 should get a 20-30Mbs connection between tv & router instead of a 10-15 Mbs. You will need a N300 router to get enough range plus a bridge.

- Run an ethernet cable to the tv and you have the best performance.

Last edited:
Can you confirm whether you have the 800VA version of this product ?

If your modem adapter got burnt that means the ups does not provide protection for over volting ie surges are getting through.

The modem resets because there is an interruption in the power ie the UPS does not react fast enough.

Is your ups overloaded ? that it cannot maintain the current level when power fluctuates. Does cyber power provide some software with this product that you can monitor with a PC attached to see what the load is when the UPS is on with all your devices attached ?

Ok, it seems non-american versions of your tv do not come with built-in wifi. So these are your options..

- Get the wifi dongle LG makes for this tv. I cannot find a list of compatible wifi dongles provided by LG, so cannot say which other dongles might work unless you can find such only the LG wifi dongle will work. Talk to LG support and ask whether they have a list of compatible dongles. Searching around, the LG dongle is LG AN-WF100. Its dual band N300 dongle.

- If you cannot source this dongle in India then you will have to use a bridge, this will be an extra item to purchase that hooks up to the ethernet port of the TV. Driver compatibility will not be an issue. The advantage of a bridge is you can position it anywhere, a far as the ethernet cable you have attached to it will go, so you can improve signal reception better than with a dongle which is attached to the tv and has a tiny antenna.

Bridge comes in N150 or N300. given the distance of 30 feet with a side wall, i'm not sure how well N150 will work and think N300 is better. N300 should get a 20-30Mbs connection between tv & router instead of a 10-15 Mbs. You will need a N300 router to get enough range plus a bridge.

- Run an ethernet cable to the tv and you have the best performance.
My UPS is different than showin in pic. Mine is very old 10+yrs old and don't have any software. Its just simple 15 mins backup UPS. It been repaired twice and changed its battery once. I have inverter so UPS is just for computer not to shutdown when power fluctuates. Still sometimes my pc is shutdown.
Can you suggest any good UPS which can support my pc+modem/router.
Also tell which bridge to buy to connect to tv as I haven't heard about it before.

My UPS is different than showin in pic. Mine is very old 10+yrs old and don't have any software. Its just simple 15 mins backup UPS. It been repaired twice and changed its battery once. I have inverter so UPS is just for computer not to shutdown when power fluctuates. Still sometimes my pc is shutdown.
Can you suggest any good UPS which can support my pc+modem/router.
I use APC BR-1000 but people here have said that in some parts of the country with lots of current fluctuation that APC is rubbish. Suggest you create a seperate thread just for the UPS, explaining the problems you had and see what people recommend.

Your present UPS cannot handle the load you have attached to it and/or it does not have a microprocessor that can switch fast enough. That is why the modem is restarting.

Also tell which bridge to buy to connect to tv as I haven't heard about it before.
N150
TP-LINK TL-WR702N 150Mbps Wireless N Nano Router
TP-LINK TL-WA701ND 150Mbps Wireless N Access Point

N300
TP-LINK TL-WA801ND 300Mbs Wireless N Access Point

Either can be configured to 'client mode'. N300 will be better and match the router. Best to use static IPs with bridge & TV and make sure those IP addresses are reserved at the main router so no address collision occurs.

bridge/client mode is confusing as different vendors refer to their products using either term. What you want is what Tp-link refers to as 'client mode'. Other vendors use the term 'wireless' or 'entertainment' adapter.

Last edited:
TP-LINK TD-W8968 300 Mbps Wireless N USB ADSL2 Modem Router

This is that it has got external antenas with 5db each.

D-Link DSL-2750U Wireless N ADSL2 4-Port Wi-Fi Router

D-Link DSL-2750U Wireless N ADSL2 4-Port Wi-Fi Router

Dlink has not mentioned the power of its antena!
Whats the difference between these 2 dlink products? Seems same but price differs!
Tp link one has 3dBi ones apparently.. As they are selling version 1 in india..

The dlink one has 2dBi..

Get the Asus RT-N66U if budget permits. It has everything you need and its hell of a router.
I am using it with a sony W950 Led Tv and many other devices (a desktop with a tplink 300 wifi card, Iphone, ipad, Nexus tab, S3, dell xps1530 laptop, a mac book air) Everything works just fine there are no dead spots anywhere in my 1700sqft apartment. The router is placed in one of the corner bedrooms.

Back