Need help with buying a coffee espresso maker

i have been using tecnora tcm107 non stop since 2016, no issue till now, its an entry level machine. there is a slight learning curve for mastering your brew and getting your taste buds right to appreciate coffee.. for beginners get a beginner machine like tecnora or wonderchef (many options now) upto 10k should be enough, a decent grinder would cost you 900-1000bucks, few accessories like tamper and a puck screen, got my tamper for 700 rs.. (there are two sizes 51 and 58mm for tamper and puck screen, depending on machine. get whole beans from toffee coffee roasters, kcroasters, baza coffee, they have incredible selection..and a milk frother (ikea frother feels best for 200rs)
next is machine with inbuilt grinder- two main options here are agora expresso machine for 29k and almost similar machine from budan for 40k approx(budan is bad) i returned their machine which was similar to tecnora and costed 19k . automatic grinder becomes a must after few years of grinding beans (fresh ground beans makes hell of a difference.

and there is an option for fully automatic machines called beans to cup. i am now considering morphy richards cafe artisan fully automatic bean to cup machine, its newly launched at 60k on amazon.

there are lot of expensive gimmicks regarding coffee and dont fall for that.

i would suggest trying moka pot, pour over and cold brews. let me know if you need more info. i have been into coffee scene for many years now.

a decent grinder would cost you 900-1000bucks
That's a bit low and won't grind uniformly. A 'decent' coffee grinder is a half lakh investment.
next is machine with inbuilt grinder- two main options here are agora expresso machine for 29k and almost similar machine from budan for 40k approx(budan is bad) i returned their machine which was similar to tecnora and costed 19k . automatic grinder becomes a must after few years of grinding beans (fresh ground beans makes hell of a difference.
Do you have that agora machine? I posted a review by hoffman of a similar machine and he absolutely hated it.
and there is an option for fully automatic machines called beans to cup. i am now considering morphy richards cafe artisan fully automatic bean to cup machine, its newly launched at 60k on amazon.
This was one of the first types I looked at and the de longhi Magnifica S seems well reviewed but does not have too many grind options.

Last edited:
That's a bit low and won't grind uniformly. A 'decent' coffee grinder is a half lakh investment.

Do you have that agora machine? I posted a review by hoffman of a similar machine and he absolutely hated it.

This was one of the first types I looked at and the de longhi Magnifica S seems well reviewed but does not have too many grind options.
lol no it doesnt have to be a big investment. jus coz you saw them selling for higher doesnt mean good. a good grinder has ceramic burrs not blades. thats all that matters. and grind size is pretty uniform. like i said there are lots of gimmicks.
i avoided agora because all these machines be it entry level or mid level use same method to extract an espresso. so a 10k machine and 30-35k machine is basically same. they just different in design elements with same basic tech to extract. delonghi machines are expensive and i have never considered them.

Last edited:
Can you suggest one within this budget ?
agaro elite manual grinder for 1199/- or cafe jei for 1073/- these are burr grinders, i use 2nd setting for my espresso and 6-7 setting for coarse grinds for making cold brews and pour overs. also get a decent kitchen scale (for measuring beans). a single shot expresso has around 9-10 gms of beans and double shot needs 15-17grams.

agaro elite manual grinder for 1199/- or cafe jei for 1073/- these are burr grinders, i use 2nd setting for my espresso and 6-7 setting for coarse grinds for making cold brews and pour overs. also get a decent kitchen scale (for measuring beans). a single shot expresso has around 9-10 gms of beans and double shot needs 15-17grams.
Helps if you link to products you recommend.

I didn't realise you were talking about manual grinders. Trouble with them is you get tired of doing it manually and then look for something electric.

Ceramic burrs are less sharp than steel requiring more effort.

The other issue is no good reviews for these generics compared to branded offerings like timemore or similar.

Last edited:
@blr_p , @tearphones can you pls post more about your setup n equipment (and pics)which you use everyday ? been reading your posts and i am very curious. this is first time i have had so much conversation about coffee...

I've got nothing for the moment other than sampling different growers from blue tokai. Now and again I order ready made coffees from them at Rs. 200 a pop.
a good grinder has ceramic burrs not blades. thats all that matters.
Think you meant over stainless burrs
i avoided agora because all these machines be it entry level or mid level use same method to extract an espresso. so a 10k machine and 30-35k machine is basically same. they just different in design elements with same basic tech to extract.
And that's a good point. After a certain amount there is no more advantage to be had with a generic

delonghi machines are expensive and i have never considered them.
Whether they're worth the premium is the question. Unless you're a regular coffee drinker probably not.

Last edited:
I've got nothing for the moment other than sampling different growers from blue tokai. Now and again I order ready made coffees from them at Rs. 200 a pop.

Think you meant over stainless burrs

And that's a good point. After a certain amount there is no more advantage to be had with a generic

Whether they're worth the premium is the question. Unless you're a regular coffee drinker probably not.
have you tried beans from toffee coffee, kc roasters and baza coffee, these are self sustaining farms and are very innovative with their coffee. i avoid watching foreign videos and reviews abt coffee machines and beans because indian coffee scene is still quite nascent and these indian reviewers have no clue what they talking about. so holding ourselves to these foreign standards is next to impossible. back in 2016 i was in same place as the op of this thread. figuring out what is an espresso, difference between cappuccino, latte and macchiato was a nightmare. tecnora was launched on amazon and i just bought it for 6k (later sold at 10-11k) after that i would go to roasters like thirdwave, flying squirrel , try their espresso and then try to replicate the same at home with my machine and same bean variety. lot of patience is needed. but the effect your guests will have on them when they see you grind beans, make a puck, extract an espresso and froth the milk and give them a perfect cup of cappucino is on another level. :p
All this is so confusing lol
Can someone suggest me where to start? What should equipment should i buy and what coffee? I want to keep it cheap for now. I'm willing to sacrifice the taste for experience
As for the coffee i would like, i want it to be a bit on the sweeter side when used in cappuccinos

Want to keep both equipment + coffee under 1k for starting out
get doppio coffee liquid from amazon - 750 /- for 30 cups.
a milk frother : ikea - 200/-
heat up milk and stop just before boiling. take 40-60 ml milk, aerate milk with frother for like 15-20 seconds or till big bubbles disappear. take doppio espresso liquid in a cup and pour frother milk for an artisanal cappucino. i use amul 200ml milk packets.

Last edited:
@tearphones can you pls post more about your setup n equipment (and pics)which you use everyday ?

I have the following things:
  • 3-cup Bialetti Moka Pot (bought Sep 2021 from amazon for Rs 4150)
  • At the same time, I bought an instacuppa hand grinder for Rs 1299, which I don't really recommend, but works in a pinch.
  • I have a roti maker that I can use to put the moka pot on the stove, because the inbuilt grill on the stove is too large.
  • Much later, I bought a Baratza Sette 270 grinder (bought from Blue Tokai, once I got tired of the manual grinding)
  • Recently, I bought a Hario V60 dripper from a local specialty coffee equipment shop, along with a set of filter papers. I did not buy the serving mug, because I already have a lot of cups.
  • I also bought a Budon gooseneck kettle to use with the V60. I like it because it allows me to heat water on the induction.
  • I have a sturdy plastic cup that the local biryani place gave me raita in. I washed it thoroughly and use it as a dosing cup.
  • I bought a 0.01g accuracy weighing scale to weigh my coffee beans.
  • I already had a regular kitchen scale to weigh the water for my pourover.
My routine:
  • Every morning I make a batch of coffee in the moka pot. I use medium or medium-dark beans from Blue Tokai. I split the result in half, my wife dilutes her coffee with hot water to make a "moka-pot americano", and I add full-fat milk to make a "moka pot flat-white". I grind 17.5g of coffee beans in the grinder at setting "9" (coarser than espresso, but finer than filter coffee). I put hot water in the moka pot, dose the funnel of the moka pot using a little 3D-printed funnel that prevents the coffee from flying away everywhere, and distribute it using a homemade WDT tool (to make the tool, buy a large eraser and stick 4 sewing needles in it, pointy side in). Then I heat it gently till it fills until the base of the spout.
  • Every afternoon, I make a batch of coffee in the V60. I use light roasted beans from Blue Tokai. I again split this in half with my wife. I grind 14g of coffee beans at setting "14", and use 250g boiling hot water according to the recipe that James Hoffman suggested.

Attachments

• 01-coffee-corner.jpg
    01-coffee-corner.jpg
    383.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 02-prepping-for-afternoon.jpg
    02-prepping-for-afternoon.jpg
    378.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 03-afternoon-setup.jpg
    03-afternoon-setup.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 30
coffee corner looks amazing. gooseneck kettles are expesive. i was able to find a cheap one for less that 1000rs. and it rusted after one use. the one you have seems like a good investment. must be above 2k i suppose. where are you located btw ? you spoke about a local speciality shop.

coffee corner looks amazing. gooseneck kettles are expesive. i was able to find a cheap one for less that 1000rs. and it rusted after one use. the one you have seems like a good investment. must be above 2k i suppose. where are you located btw ? you spoke about a local speciality shop.

I am in Bangalore, there are a number of coffee equipment shops here.

i have been using tecnora tcm107 non stop since 2016, no issue till now, its an entry level machine. there is a slight learning curve for mastering your brew and getting your taste buds right to appreciate coffee.. for beginners get a beginner machine like tecnora or wonderchef (many options now) upto 10k should be enough, a decent grinder would cost you 900-1000bucks, few accessories like tamper and a puck screen, got my tamper for 700 rs.. (there are two sizes 51 and 58mm for tamper and puck screen, depending on machine. get whole beans from toffee coffee roasters, kcroasters, baza coffee, they have incredible selection..and a milk frother (ikea frother feels best for 200rs)

i would suggest trying moka pot, pour over and cold brews. let me know if you need more info. i have been into coffee scene for many years now.

lol no it doesnt have to be a big investment. jus coz you saw them selling for higher doesnt mean good. a good grinder has ceramic burrs not blades. thats all that matters. and grind size is pretty uniform. like i said there are lots of gimmicks.
i avoided agora because all these machines be it entry level or mid level use same method to extract an espresso. so a 10k machine and 30-35k machine is basically same. they just different in design elements with same basic tech to extract. delonghi machines are expensive and i have never considered them.
Like you, I also have a Tecnora 109, it has served me well (and still works, with regular servicing).
I bought the Budan, which is a rebadged Corrima/Gemilai CRM3605 and is a well known machine worldwide. For ~20K, it makes amazing espresso, and it's much better than the Tecnora (I can say this because I own both). The Tecnora uses a 51mm pressurized portafilter basket, whereas the Budan has a 58mm non pressurized basket. The difference is stark.

I would suggest not buying machines with built in grinders unless they're from Sage/Breville or similar, but that is another price range.

I bought the Agora electronic grinder for ~5K, it has steel conical burrs and makes excellent espresso grinds which work well with both my Tecnora (slightly coarser grind for pressurized basket) and the Budan (fine espresso grind). It's been working well for 8+months now, and it's way better than blade grinders because of the grind consistency.

And the final thing is Indian coffee - I have been sticking with Fivefarms for over a year now, they've got excellent coffee at a very reasonable price.

I have the Delonghi EC850 since 2020 and have been extremely happy with it. Super easy to make expresso, black coffee and cappuccios. Frother works really well. Minimal maintance. Hasn;t given a since issue in 3 years. There may be better value pump expresso machines but this one is super easy to use. The only thing in addition to this I have is an automated grinder. You can also use a mixer grinder with a small jar.

I have the Delonghi EC850 since 2020 and have been extremely happy with it. Super easy to make expresso, black coffee and cappuccios. Frother works really well. Minimal maintance. Hasn;t given a since issue in 3 years. There may be better value pump expresso machines but this one is super easy to use. The only thing in addition to this I have is an automated grinder. You can also use a mixer grinder with a small jar.

just like whiskey in coke is a big no, beans in mixer grinder is a big no :p i tried it once and was not happy with the grind.
morphy richards cafe artisan i am really tempted to buy this but i have to buy a dishwasher for mother :p so i will wait for a few months and save. it launched some 15 days back and very few videos on it. i am quite tired of maunal grinding. after 5-6 years of making coffee and time constraints, i am finally moving on to fully automatic. i have tried all varities of toffee coffee and kc roasters, baza and and paragraph "old wives tale"..

Last edited:
just like whiskey in coke is a big no, beans in mixer grinder is a big no :p i tried it once and was not happy with the grind.
morphy richards cafe artisan i am really tempted to buy this but i have to buy a dishwasher for mother :p so i will wait for a few months and save. it launched some 15 days back and very few videos on it. i am quite tired of maunal grinding. after 5-6 years of making coffee and time constraints, i am finally moving on to fully automatic. i have tried all varities of toffee coffee and kc roasters, baza and and paragraph "old wives tale"..
I'm genrally weary of anything with "Artisan" in the product name/marketing material :p

Back