Need Help in Buying UPS

Empirial

Recruit
Hi,

I'm looking forward to buy a UPS for my LED TV (85W) & DVR (48W). It should be able to give back up for atleast an hour during power cuts. I'm interested in Zebronics ZEB-U1200 which is available for around 3.5k online. The problem is that in the specsheet of U1200, Backup time (One PC load @ 100 W) is mentioned only 30 min. Isn't that too low for a 1 KVA UPS?

Product link : https://www.zebronics.com/products/ups/zeb-u1200

Regards.

backup time will depend upon the battery capacity, not the power output capacity. if they say 30 mins backup time, then expect only 15 mins for small batteries after a few months. if you want to run stuff for 1 hour avg daily on UPS., then buy a inverter 600VA(3.1k) and 100 or 150 AH battery (~9k to 15k).

Thankyou for replying. Well I'm not at all interested in inverters. Actually I searched a bit and some 1 KVA UPS users claimed that they are getting more then 50 hrs of backup with TV & DTH. Now, this Zebronics seems to have 7Ah batteries same as other models but I really don't understand why its mentioned only 30M for 100W in specification list.

first APC ups usually will have battery of 9AH capacity for smaller load ups, for 1kva model, they will have 2x9AH battery. i. e. total 18AH capacity. Now the quality of APC 9AH(costs around 2k) battery is much much better then exide 7AH(cost ~800/-) we get in the market. these Exide will have hardly 3-4 AH of useful capacity after 3-4 months and that means hardly 5-10 mins backup at 150 Watt load. with APC 1kva, you would get almost 13-14 AH of usable capacity, that would translate it to 40-50 mins(indicative only for comparison) of backup at 150 watt load. Now if you goto costly option for more battery backup, then its always best to get the inverter for home. If you want to get cheaper DYI option, then just take an old UPS and attach a bit higher capacity Deep cycle battery of around 35AH or 50AH(not the once used in automobile).

with the below combo of 12.5k, you will get backup time of almost 8-10 hours for 150w load. plus fans/lights etc. etc.
tough prefer a Sukam inverter + any tubler battery from good company,Luminous has good service in Hyderabad.

http://www.batterybhai.com/inverter...e-Wave-UPS-and-IL-16000-Battery/248/4/3/135/1

Last edited:
How to attach a very high caliber battery to existing ups?
I know the battery has to be stored externally but how.about wiring and connections?

Your Load is ~150 watts. Hope that you get a Power factor around 0.8 then your UPS should be of minimum capacity of ~200VA.
Now lets come to the backup part, You will be Consuming 150W, Lets convert that into your AH rating for 12V Battery That comes to 12.5Ah
Add the UPS conversion losses of 20%, Your Ideal Batter needs to be 15AH
But the batteries are not ideal + We did the calculation in Watts not VA so we need to make your Battery 20AH-25AH @ 12V.
You need a UPS which is above 200VA and should have battery of capacity 25AH.
Now go hunting for a Battery :)

Basically what you all are trying to say is that a UPS won't do for me right? So, can you suggest me an Inverter with inbuilt battery that is compact and isn't messy to setup.

^^ UPS and inverter work on the same principle. people don't use inverters for electronics/computers because most of the low capacity ones generate square sine waves. you can definitely buy a UPS with huge battery backup but then the batteries need to be stored separately.

compact size UPS/inverter won't give you enough backup.

Back