Need Help in buying a Router? Dual Band or N300

Can anyone suggest me which router to buy?I am using N150 from Netgear for the past two years its good but not great. Do I really need to buy dual band router? Will it work for long range? Please help and name me the brand and the model.If dual band then budget is within 6000INR.

there are atleast 3 dual-band options within your stated budget:

1. tp-link tl-wdr3600 (n600)
2. tp-link tl-wdr4300 (n750)
3. netgear wndr3700

i have been using the 1st one among those for past more than an year. near-excellent performance and range, though i am using ddwrt on it, and for 24x7 op. all the 3 above have ddwrt support. regarding range, if you live in a big house, then a dual-band router could help, placed appropriately. if not, then try with a different single-band router and see if you get a better range. probably its only the placement of your current router that needs some modification.

there are atleast 3 dual-band options within your stated budget:

1. tp-link tl-wdr3600 (n600)
2. tp-link tl-wdr4300 (n750)
3. netgear wndr3700

i have been using the 1st one among those for past more than an year. near-excellent performance and range, though i am using ddwrt on it, and for 24x7 op. all the 3 above have ddwrt support. regarding range, if you live in a big house, then a dual-band router could help, placed appropriately. if not, then try with a different single-band router and see if you get a better range. probably its only the placement of your current router that needs some modification.
Thanks

How many 5GHz or ac compatible devices do you have?
More importantly - do mention the specific areas that are not good on the Netgear i.e. which areas you're looking to improve.

BTW dual band does nothing for range. Shorter wavelengths like 5GHz have a shorter range than 2.4GHz. You're simply adding the additional 5GHz channel to free up the 2.4GHz channel and have more bandwidth available. People getting expensive dual band devices tend to be upgrading from pretty useless single band routers and hence give the wrong impression that a dual band device is better.

More importantly - do mention the specific areas that are not good on the Netgear i.e. which areas you're looking to improve.

BTW dual band does nothing for range. Shorter wavelengths like 5GHz have a shorter range than 2.4GHz. You're simply adding the additional 5GHz channel to free up the 2.4GHz channel and have more bandwidth available. People getting expensive dual band devices tend to be upgrading from pretty useless single band routers and hence give the wrong impression that a dual band device is better.
Thank you very much for the reply...but can you just suggest me a Router atleast with a usb port?Which brand should I go for?TP Link or Netgear..

ebay, spreading dubious info; :D
though i indeed seem to be having a better range and signal-strength from my TP-Link router than from an earlier Beetel router. most probably, the better-antennae factor. [DOUBLEPOST=1419659385][/DOUBLEPOST]
Thank you very much for the reply...but can you just suggest me a Router atleast with a usb port?Which brand should I go for?TP Link or Netgear..

either ask for an Asus N13U revision B1 here on the forum in the WTB section, or purchase its successor, N14U. i have used none of these though, but atleast the former one is highly famous.

BTW, what's you current router? is there a provision to attach better external antennae to them?

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.
ebay, spreading dubious info; :D
though i indeed seem to be having a better range and signal-strength from my TP-Link router than from an earlier Beetel router. most probably, the better-antennae factor. [DOUBLEPOST=1419659385][/DOUBLEPOST]

either ask for an Asus N13U revision B1 here on the forum in the WTB section, or purchase its successor, N14U. i have used none of these though, but atleast the former one is highly famous.

BTW, what's you current router? is there a provision to attach better external antennae to them?
Thanks for the reply. Currently I am using Netgear N150 Router WDR614V10 and it doesn't have any provision to attache external antenna.

alright. i then suggest to get another router, preferably the n13u b1 from the forum. quite many have it here, and some are i know willing to part with them.

i recall now, that i was at a corsair service centre once, and most of the people who were coming there were those seeking replacement of their dlink modems/routers. i was wondering about it at that time.

Back