Need Help For Colouring My Sketch...

EdwardElric

Disciple
I tried to sketch EDWARD ELRIC and this is how it looks and now i wanna colour it but i'm confused about which colour to use on the face:huh: :huh: so can someone help me out plz...:help2::help2:

First off, what software are you using ? Illustrator may be good for this one... or even photoshop.

Usually the best thing, is to have a lot of good reference material, so I would get as many pix of this character as you can. A good way to learn is by breaking down how the character is usually created. Even really good artists still have to learn by practice, if you complete a version of this and you don't like it, start again until you are satisfied... each time you do it, you will learn a little more about how to build this character.

Start by filling in the larger less detailed colored areas first, and don't worry too much about the details yet. After you have laid out your main colors, start layering the smaller areas next, then finally add the details.

BTW I don't know this character either, but there is a great character called Elric, in a series of books by Michael Moorcock, very cool fantasy series.

am not using any software to colour the sketch...i drew it in a book and wanna colour it in the book only...so all am asking is which colour should i use to colour the face of the character...am not able 2 make out which colour has been used on the face and body...here is a pic of EDWARD ELRIC:-

If using poster colours, mix Red+Yellow+White, to get the skin-tone colour.

How much of each? I really don't remember..you'll need to experiment with that.. :)

GOHAN said:
duh..THE FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST....dntya watch cartoons???

sorry chief my cartoons stop at justice league and not the japanese ones...get so confused... all of them look alike and are very annoying ...must be the generation gap :p

Not an easy question.... really an impossible one.... I don't what medium you are using for one... if for example you are using pencils, I would have to be using the same brand to tell you which color to use.

If I just said brown or pinky brown, how would you interpret that... and what if the brown I am using is a different brown....or your idea of pinky brown is different from mine .... ;)

As as said earlier :) the best way for you to do this is to use reference, and to start putting down colors on paper....it really doesn't matter if you are using paper, canvas or the computer the concept is still the same.... :D

You need to start layering down colors 1st.. starting with the most commonly used colors 1st, and working in to the details.

I would suggest making some copies, and then doing some tests.

i tried 2 colour my sketch wid crayons and water colours and it didnt look gud....anyways thanx for replying guys...and btw ArtfulDodger, u were living my dream(u worked @ dreamworks)..cant believe that u left that job...
this iz how my sketch looks:-

so should i try 2 colour it again or should i leave my sketches without colouring them??????????????

:hap2: a good start

you should practice with the same image until you are either satisfied, or you have had enough. The more you work on it, the more you will figure out what works/doesn't work.

(hopefully you also made copies as I suggested :D )

I think that you can continue with the one you are already working on. As I mentioned earlier, getting the right color is difficult, but there is usually not a single color when it comes to something like this. Consider the point at which you are now, as the starting point, and that you have only laid down the base color. Now start layering more colors on top of these and filling in some more detail ;) experiment with adding colors on top of each other and mix them, then see how it looks, you can always do another one :D

A really good start :clap:

I agree with AMD4Life... you would be better off using a drawing book. The paper is different, and may make mixing colors easier... also much easier to see what is going on, on a white background

Back