Need guidance for final year project(download manager)

yadusaiyan

Disciple
I need to make a download manager in C#
1)It should have it should download stuff from web and FTP
a)Multiple download at a time(no segmentation of single file needed)
b)Scheduling
2)It should catch download link from a browser
3)After downloading it should call the installed antivirus to scan the file

Can anyone post the sites where i can get
1)tutorials
2)source code of opensource

Try a opensource tool called busybox.

It has a FTP client implementation ftpget.

You may need to use a combination of ftpget and dns resolver to make your project.

@mahistuffs that code doesn't compile i have tried that code the demo works but the source code doesnt compile did u tried compiling it ?

Also when i compiled other source codes from different sites i.e selected build option then there were two different behaviour

a)some placed the .exe in bin\release folder The exe in this worked

b)some placed the .exe in bin\debug folder The exe in this gave error after using functions(it launched but after using specific function it throwed exeception)

any idea how to go about the above things

@always-shri Its not in c-sharp

i want a c-sharp code or good step by step tutorials or a book that shows how to implement the above things using c -sharp

To compile the source code two changes have to be made.

1. After opening the solution Remove the project 'MyDownloader.Tests' or alternatively u can download NUnit and add the reference to the project.

2. In project 'MyDownloader.Core' double click the 'Settings.settings' and change the 'Access Modifier' from internal to public.

the code will compile fine and the app will run. ( i have not tested the downloading)

btw this is a fairly advance project and you will have to put in considerable effort to understand its internal logic and coding. All the best.

^Thanks will try the above things and update .This download manaager is very complicated but will try to understand the logic and coding will update if its working or not.

had downloaded nunit and installed but didnt know about referencing the nunit .Rather i will remove

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

@mahistuffs It worked actually this was one of the project i had in mind but as i couldn't get it to compile i just ignored i should have made this post a month earlier so u could have pointed out the way to compile it .Now its seems to work properly Thanks a lot

Please can u give me some tips of which books to refer for C -sharp I am having "Pro c# 2008 using .net 3.5"APRESS just started using it a month ago for project.

Also suggest some sites recommended by u mainly for C# and also suggest other sites for other languages also

And at last do u think that a beginner could understand the project after i study the above book or ur recommended book properly.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Also could u suggest any backup project with less features and less complicated i couldn't find any easy project except some very easy downloader (which only download a file after we copy paste and completes the download and stops).Any project which doesn't get rejected

Opinions on books vary people to people, generally I find Apress books good enough; but pls don't go by just one book - none of the books will cover any topic in-depth. Use Google to search when you need more information on it.

I would suggest you to read Jeffrey Richter's CLR via C# for in-depth information, but it is not suitable as a 1st book to be read.

I don't follow any specific website, I use only Google :). For windows forms app / WPF you can try The Official Microsoft WPF and Windows Forms Site for user controls, samples, starter kits etc...and of course there is MSDN.

It will be difficult (for most) to understand the project even if you read the book - but not impossible. I don't know your skills you may find it easier too.

one advice, pls don't use the code blindly understand how it works then design and write your own code - it will be a rewarding experience.

some other projects I suggested in another thread
1. Intranet crawler - a service which crawls thru network and searches the shared folders and provides an UI to access the search results
2. Google Image downloader / multi site image downloader - give the search criteria / url and download all images from the site. say from any wall papers site

Back