Storage Solutions Need Fastest internal 2 or 3 TB drive

100khz

Disciple
Most important need is speed both read and write. I have to perform constant read write operations with a high capacity (2TB or 3TB) drive with the softwares i work with.

Since SSDs are smaller in size, so next good option seems like is a 7200 rpm drive unless there are faster onces? Speed remains my first priority followed by reliability.

I am anyways going to run constant time machine backup of the entire drive on another 2TB drive i already have with me. Since i am on mac, i will use the drive with HSF formatting.

NOTE: This is not for dump or storage purpose. I need to use this for performance. Not for gaming. For media development stuff.

Budget: preferable under 10k

Please suggest.. THANKS

http://www.storagereview.com/seagate_barracuda_3tb_review_1tb_platters_st3000dm001
WD Caviar black looks better balanced. But if you're just working with a few large media files, the speeds on the ST3000DM001 will be better.
Use is for music composition in Logic Pro DAW. Sound libraries are loaded in RAM many times in a work session. Besides, high def audio is recorded straight into drive. So, read and write is most important.

The overall efficiency of Digital Audio Workstations also depend upon read/write efficiencies of the drives used to fetch huge audio samples into RAM to be played via samplers.

I am also inclined towards ST3000DM001 (3TB) or may be ST2000DM001 (2TB), since i have a spare 2TB drive to make a backup drive.

Which one would you recommend. ANy diff in performance 3TB VS 2 TB?

ANy diff in performance 3TB VS 2 TB?
3TB should be slightly faster, since it has more outer disk surface area. Plus Seagate is randomly using either 1TB or 667GB platters in the 2TB ST2000DM001 - no label differentiation, so you can't identify what platter size you're getting - if you get the 667GB platter ones, then performance will be slower.
qMu1D0U.gif

The WD Black 2TB is unfortunately nearly twice the price of a Seagate ST2000DM001. So what about a RAID 0 array with 2 x Seagate drives? Or set up one as your sound library drive and the other as your recording drive.

The WD Black 2TB is unfortunately nearly twice the price of a Seagate ST2000DM001. So what about a RAID 0 array with 2 x Seagate drives? Or set up one as your sound library drive and the other as your recording drive.

This RAID business is new to me and the article you gave me suggests good speeds. Could you guide me a bit about this system. But, my other 2TB which i have is a 5200 RPM drive, thats why i was not interested in using that one for performance. Besides, i need a drive for backup as well.

OCZ 120 SSD is my primary OS drive. And seagate 5200 RPM 2TB is the drive where i save and retrieve my audio stuff till today. Purpose of buying another 2 or 3 TB is to replace this one and use it for backup rather than performance.

What would you suggest?

No idea about RAID on Mac. This may be helpful : http://macperformanceguide.com/Storage-HowToSetupRAID.html

Yeah leave your existing 2TB drive for backups. Pick up 2 additional drives for either a RAID 0 array or a sound library drive + recording drive. If its exceeding your budget you can probably drop down to 2 x 1TB drives, since in a RAID 0 array the 2 drives will show up as 2TB of space.

I think i can do the RAID setup. Can you tell me what practical benefit in terms of speed i can gain using raid 1 TB X 2 over single 3 TB 7200 HDD?

Also, my sound libraries exceed 1 TB and recording drive does not need more than 200 GB for current sessions. I do not need to dedicate 1 TB for recordings per se, but thats not imp how we use space.

I understand a little bit that RAID is parelel processing of data, should be faster than a single drive with 2 platters. But, need to know if its worth spending the effort since the diff in performance is going to be much better than using a single drive like a 3 TB seagate 7200 rpm.

Check wd30eurs drive, aka, WD av-gp drives

Drives SilkStream™ WD AV-GP SATA hard drives store more hi-def audio and video than ever before – up to 3 TB. They are optimized with technology to capture data from up to 12 simultaneous HD video streams. And with 24x7 operation, low temperature, and best-in-class reliability, WD AV-GP hard drives are ideal for DVR/PVR and video surveillance applications. 3-year limited warranty

please google (as i have no experience using them) 10K and 15K RPM HDDs. they are high performers and cheaper than SSDs. the one with 10K RPM should be within your budget.

Back