Need Expert Advice to build a High End Multi tasking PC

mik

Disciple
Q: What is your budget?
50K-55K

Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
UPS
Creative 4.1
Keyboard
Mouse

Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
UPS
Creative 4.1
Keyboard
Mouse

Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.

CPU - Intel Core i5 2500K
Motherboard - Gigabyte Ga-P67A-UD3R-B3
Monitor - Dell Ultrasharp U2311H
Cabinet- NZXT Gamma(Alternative as it is not available)
PSU - Corsair VX450
Hardisk - 2 HDD (1 TB Seagate )
RAM - 8 GB Kit (2*4) DDR-3 1600Mhz Corsair Vengeance

(Advice: Do I need any other CPU Cooler or the cooler included with i5 will suffice.Moreover, do i require any GPU(As i dont play much game)..

Above configuration is just as per my knowledge...need advice
Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
No, will keep this configuration for at least 2 years

Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
New Delhi
Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
No

Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware

High end multi tasking and software development(Running many application at the same time.eg: VMware workstation., Oracle server .etc)
Gaming
Watching HD Movies
Desktop Processing
Download rig, 24x7 operation

Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike
NO

Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
Racing - NFS, MotoGP(that too occasionally)

Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
Not Sure

Q: Are you looking to overclock?
Not sure

Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
Windows 7 32 or 64 bit

If you want to overclock , you definitely need a better CPU cooler like CM Hyper 212 Plus or Noctua NH-U12P.

Corsair vengeance has bigger heat sinks so better check the height while choosing the HSF for CPU.

If you are not going to overclock better to go with non K CPU and Z series chipset.

Motherboard - Gigabyte Ga-P67A-UD3R-B3 Go for an asus z68v pro

Cabinet- NZXT Gamma(Alternative as it is not available)

PSU - Corsair VX450

Hardisk - 2 HDD (1 TB Seagate ) rather than 2x1tb hdd's go for one seagate 2tb drive

RAM - 8 GB Kit (2*4) DDR-3 1600Mhz Corsair Vengeance

the gpu is not compulsory with the z68 board but u will need it if u go for a p67 based board

i suggest the z68 will be better now

also if u can then get a corsair/seasonic 550-650w psu, it will help with further upgrades

:)Thanks all of u fr the suggestions..

1) if I go for Z series chipset which chipset will be best(Gigabyte or Asus..as i prefer both but Gigabyte attracts me more..)

2) if i go for same chipset i.e Gigabyte Ga-P67A-UD3R-B3 then according to u which GPU will be best in terms of cost & performance)

3)Which will be best to choose interms of performance b/w step 1 & step 2

4)If CPU cooler is required then, I think Noctua NH-U12P is better option...isn't

5)I have some confusion about RAM as one of my frnd suggested G.skill RAM, as according to him they are cheaper in comparison to Corsair and perform equally.So, shud i switch to Gskill?..if yes then which GSkill kit will be best?

I knw ...lot of queries but I am totally confused.:S..as.. (I am keeping this configuration fr atleast 2 yrs). So, need best configuration within my budget...

1) If you don't mind spending some extra bucks for Z68 , then it is better.
2) at least ati 6850 but better options are GTX560 or ATI 6950.
3) there will no performance difference in Z or P series board apart from the fact that Z series supports SSD caching, switching between integrated GPU and discrete GPU and GPU overclocking.
4) Noctua NH-U12P is better than CM Hyper 212 Plus but there is obviously a price difference of some thousands.
5) Gskill and Corsair both are good , you can go for Gskill ripjaws x if you decide on Gskill.

^^ ASUS P8Z68-V PRO -- ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - Motherboards- ASUS P8Z68-V.

vivacious_tg said:
4) Noctua NH-U12P is better than CM Hyper 212 Plus but there is obviously a price difference of some thousands.
5) Gskill and Corsair both are good , you can go for Gskill ripjaws x if you decide on Gskill.

Price of a Cooler Master Hyper 212+ ~ 1850/- for a Noctua NH-U12P SE2 ~ 3750/- -- if you are a serious over-clocker please go ahead and get the Noctua else even the Hyper 212+ will satiate your needs ~ clocking till 4.5 GHz.

Go for standard RIPJAWS RAM modules there is no difference between the RIPJAWS and RIPJAWS X apart from the slightly taller heat-spreaders they've slapped onto the latter, rest every setting is the same -- RAM speeds (1600 MHz @ 1.5 V), CAS-RAS Latency -- CL-9, save money by going for standard RIPJAWS + if possible try to get RAM modules with lower Latency for noticeable change in performance.

More about RAM Latency -- Memory: Dividers, Latencies, and Bandwidth Explained - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net / Memory Latency Explained | Hardware Forums | Tech Support | Computer Support Forum / SDRAM latency - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Hope this helps.

@ Alpha,

I am aware of the price difference between between CM 212+ and Noctua and have mentioned it by saying some thousands, looks like you wanted it to be mentioned in terms of relative costs and performance. but I think before buying anything everybody checks the reviews and costs.
Gskill Ripjaws X RAMs are quite cheap now a days - 8 gb kit available for 3350/-.(just checked pabgb, they are selling 4GB ripjaws for 1850 and Ripjaws X for 1700 ), now decide yourself.

^^ The RIPJAWS X is a CL-9 1600 MHz kit agreed, but I'm saying Intel processors are better oriented to faster RAS-CAS latency rather than simply RAM speed increments, since they shifted from their FSB setup to QPI in the Bloomfield architecture, AMD had always depended more on latency because of their HyperTransport interface from which Intel developed QPI which is now standard for all processors after initial Core i7 series.

Check out this article on Anandtech for further details -- AnandTech - Sandy Bridge Memory Scaling: Choosing the Best DDR3.

Hope this explains my stand.

Thankx a lot guys...really helpful inputs....

I think below config will suffice my need....

Motherboard - ASUS P8Z68-V PRO

Cabinet- NZXT Gamma+ Cooler Master R4 120mm x 2(As came to know that NZXT Gamma does't come with any fan)

PSU - Corsair VX450

Hardisk - 2 HDD (1 TB Seagate )

CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212+

RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz CL9 4x2GB

As I m buying PC on next weekend....any other inputs will be highly appreciated......

ALPHA17 said:
^^ The RIPJAWS X is a CL-9 1600 MHz kit agreed, but I'm saying Intel processors are better oriented to faster RAS-CAS latency rather than simply RAM speed increments, since they shifted from their FSB setup to QPI in the Bloomfield architecture, AMD had always depended more on latency because of their HyperTransport interface from which Intel developed QPI which is now standard for all processors after initial Core i7 series.

Check out this article on Anandtech for further details -- AnandTech - Sandy Bridge Memory Scaling: Choosing the Best DDR3.

Hope this explains my stand.

IMHO CL8 and CL7 kits are not easily available in India and I don't think there is any point in suggesting them. Also, the difference is not at all significant for a PC to be used for movies,gaming and normal use.

Hii...all,

Can anybody let me know from where I will get NZXT Gamma cabinet in delhi as it is unavailable both in smc international and computer empire.

Also smc international is advising me to buy Cooler master Real Power Pro 460W PSU instead of Corsair VX450 (It is not available with smc international)

Please advice...

Why dont you contact TheITWares for this... He is our Official TE dealer... You can buy the two mentioned components from him and he will ship it to your place... ;)

@ Hades..

Contacted Te ITWares for NZXT Gamma Cabinet --they are charging 2100+shipping(Rs 1075)= 3175...

Do u think it is worth...:S

Rs. 1000 Shipping? :S

No, i dont think its worth to spend that much on a 2.1k Cabby...

Buy CM 430 then from SMC International...

If you can contact primeabgb and ask them that how much NZXT Gamma would cost (including shipping)

Thanks Hades...

Contacted primeabgb .they are charging Rs 2200+500(Shipping)= Rs 2700 over all.....much better then ITWares....

So , what u think ...shud i go for it......

Moreover,

Can u also advice regarding PSU ...

as I am getting Cooler Master Real Power Pro 460W for Rs 3300 & CorsairVX 450 fr Rs 3900

Can u advice ...go fr which PSU and difference b/w them....:S

Thanx again....

Contacted primeabgb .they are charging Rs 2200+500(Shipping)= Rs 2700 over all.....much better then ITWares....
So , what u think ...shud i go for it......

Even for 2.7k its better than CM 430... So go for it ;)

Moreover,

Can u also advice regarding PSU ...

as I am getting Cooler Master Real Power Pro 460W for Rs 3300 & CorsairVX 450 fr Rs 3900

Can u advice ...go fr which PSU and difference b/w them....

Seasonic S12II 520w is back in stock :D Buy it online from Tirupati's Ebay Shop : SEASONIC 520W POWER SUPPLY 80+ BRONZE (S12II-520) | eBay

Review: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=185

Back