100khz

Disciple
My rig:

i7 2600k
Corsair vengence high profile 4X4GB 1600mhz
gigabyte z68xp-ud3
corsair 400r series cabinet
Gigabyte gtx 560 ti 1gb gfx
using stock intel cooler currently with stock cpu multiplier of 35X100 i.e. 3.5 ghz

I intend to reach OC of 4.2 Ghz minimum and make a stable system even in Delhi Summers with ambient temp reaching 48 degrees sometimes..

My purpose of work is:

Graphics, Music Production and occasional video editing. No gaming or rare gaming..

I am fine with both water or air cooling.. I would have gone for noctua d14 but due to vengence ram clearance issue i am struck..

Plz advice.. i need an efficient and silent cooling solution.. silence of cooler is utmost priority after cooling efficiency..

I have heard that h80 or h100 from corsair are noisy at peak speed.. whereas noctua will be silent..

what options do i have.. please suggest.. thanks

Noctua is the way to Go Bro ^_^

Really silent and performance is also good.

Try to go for Nh-u12p or n14d they are the sweet spot at 4k to 5k :D

By the way which cabinet u have ???? Do take that in consideration ;) and also install 2 more extra fan for more air in Cabinet.

Really helps for cooling :)

By the way which cabinet u have ???? Do take that in consideration ;) and also install 2 more extra fan for more air in Cabinet.

Really helps for cooling :)

My cabinet as stated above is a corsair 400r series cabinet which is quite big and has room for anything.. so no issues when it comes to air cooling..

---------- Post added at 12:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:10 PM ----------

what if i take the heatsink of 2 of my vengence rams off and then use them.. with this i will have enough head room for noctua d-14 cpu cooler to fit in? would you advise this..

i have 4X4gb vengence high profile RAMs on a gigabyte board..

@100khz you should go for Noctua NH12UP-SE 2-3.9 it's a very good cooler which you can overclock your proccy up to 4.5ghz,It'll fit with Corsair Vengeance ram.

Last edited by a moderator:
I missed the cabinet point ;)

don't go for removing the ram heat sticks , and as jakob said it u can go for nh12up which I too have and i am happy with it.

u can also go for any big cooler like n14d; no problem with it.

so see what u can get.

If you are getting n14d then also get an extra noctua fan with it which cost 900-100 bucks :D

and also see for ventilation in cabinet and if the room temp is more then what u think it should be then play with the placement of extra fans and get the best out of it.

I myself is on an custom build cabinet so don't ask me about it as it's more creepy then any one out here :p

100khz you should go for Noctua NH12UP-SE 2-3.9 it's a very good cooler which you can overclock your proccy up to 4.5ghz,It'll fit with Corsair Vengeance ram.
i mailed noctua, their customer care suggested me NH-C14 (which according to them is compatible with vengence). But this cooler is not as good as d14 for OC..

Are you sure the one you suggesting i.e. NH12UP-SE 2-3-9 will have enough room for vengence.. vengence high profile is quite high.. please suggest.. thanks

Note: I have seen some review of NH12UP-SE and found that vengence high profile RAM will not fit with all sticks in all 4 slots.. 1st slot needs to be empty..

There is rotate option avaible for noctua and that we have to order for it and noctua ship it for free of cost :)

And about the height , we can always set the fan higher as per our need ;)

Still wait for others to reply as there are more type of coolers out there and so the members on TE :)

They may help u out more our else u can relay on noctua for real :D

Hey guys, please suggest.. i have got few suggestions though, but looking for a conclusive answer for my cpu cooling issue..

thanks

my suggestion would be this
1)the c14..its as good as the d14
2)h100 or h80 (in that order)

getting to 4.2 will be easy on anyone of those coolers.

my suggestion would be this
1)the c14..its as good as the d14
2)h100 or h80 (in that order)

getting to 4.2 will be easy on anyone of those coolers.

thanks for your reply.. i am also inclined towards c14 but i will have to use it with 1 fan.. does anyone have any idea what will be the performance of c14 with 1 fan? top fan..

well that depends on the fan used. even with the stock fan and taking into account the delhi heat which im well aware off, i would say even 4.5 would be do-able with temps in the late 60's to early 70's with a 40c ambient.

I would say Don't take risk on water cooler if u'r not aware of it :)

U can always relay on Noctua for cooling , just also buy an cooling past externally like acrylic silver 5 as stock past is good But I find it difficult when it comes to remove and re-apply it or it must be me not able to use it :scared14:

@100khz I suggest either the Noctua NH-U12P SE2 ~4500/- OR Thermalright Silver Arrow ~4000/- OR Noctua NH-D14 ~5200/-.

Both are available with Prime ABGB and you can talk with @chiragsthakur to get a better price.

I personally bought a Noctua cooler with the help of Chirag and I am staying in Delhi so if you want PM me and I will give you a screenshot of what my temperatures are. I already have put it on another post so if I can locate it I will post ASAP.

Here is the screenshot I had promised, these temperatures are with application of TuniQ TX-2 in the month of March.
CONFIGURATION:
AMD Phenom IIx4 965 [3.4 GHz] under-volted to ~1.3v
6GB G.Skill RIPJAWS memory modules [2 x2GB 1333MHz + 1 x2GB 1600MHz]
ATi HD 5770 [at stock]
all this enclosed inside a Cooler Master STORM SCOUT
Temperatures.jpg

In both the Noctua coolers the fan(s) can be raised OR lowered to compensate for tall and expansive RAM heat-spreaders.

You can also look at the SVG Tech HOC 20 ~5000/- [competitor to the Corsair H80] but, I have never used a closed loop water cooler so I do not know how well it will perform.

U can always relay on Noctua for cooling , just also buy an cooling past externally like acrylic silver 5 as stock past is good.

The stock paste is definitely better than the Arctic Silver 5 and has no aforementioned cure-in period to reach effective performance levels. What are you using to take it off?

Hope this helps, Cheerio!!

Last edited by a moderator:
100khz I suggest either the Noctua NH-U12P SE2 ~4500/- OR Thermalright Silver Arrow ~4000/- OR Noctua NH-D14 ~5200/-.

Both are available with Prime ABGB and you can talk with chiragsthakur to get a better price.

I personally bought a Noctua cooler with the help of Chirag and I am staying in Delhi so if you want PM me and I will give you a screenshot of what my temperatures are. I already have put it on another post so if I can locate it I will post ASAP.
In both the Noctua coolers the fan(s) can be raised OR lowered to compensate for tall and expansive RAM heat-spreaders.

Thanks for your detailed reply.. I have also been suggested for Thermalright Silver Arrow as it can give me RAM clearance for my high profile RAM.. NH-D14 covers all 4 RAM slots on my gigabyte z68xp-ud3 mobo.. fan adjustment will not help as the heatsink will also be over first or may be first 2 RAM slots..

Thermalright is a great cooler, i think the noise levels of thermalright should be comparable to nh-d14.. whats your opinion?

NH-U12P SE2 - I think the fan will cover 2 ram slots here as well, here i can perhaps adjust fan placement..

So, I need to decide about this.. I mailed noctua, they said that the only noctua cooler which fits vengence high profile RAM is C14, which again is a great cooler but i can only use top fan for throwing air downwards.. so it shall be 50% effective..

If thermalright silver arrow fits without any tweaks and twists to my rig or the cooler, i need to make sure, i will go for this cooler..

If someone can tell me about the noise levels of this cooler vs noctua d14, it shall be great..

thanks everyone..

---------- Post added at 03:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:45 PM ----------

I would say Don't take risk on water cooler if u'r not aware of it :)

U can always relay on Noctua for cooling , just also buy an cooling past externally like acrylic silver 5 as stock past is good But I find it difficult when it comes to remove and re-apply it or it must be me not able to use it :scared14:

I liked h80 but due to so many issues about its pump noise i abandoned this idea.. my first choice is h80 for its small profile and good cooling results.. I wonder how much noise levels h80 will produce at 4.5 ghz overclocking of i7 2600k.. I work with sound design, so in studio atmosphere, i do not want noise..

Thermalright is a great cooler, i think the noise levels of thermalright should be comparable to nh-d14.. whats your opinion?

NH-U12P SE2 - I think the fan will cover 2 ram slots here as well, here i can perhaps adjust fan placement.

If thermalright silver arrow fits without any tweaks and twists to my rig or the cooler, i need to make sure, i will go for this cooler..

If someone can tell me about the noise levels of this cooler vs noctua d14, it shall be great.

The Noctua-NH-U12P SE2 can be oriented in a North-South OR East-West to avoid overhanging on any DIMM's.

I do not know about the Thermalright's stock fan noise levels but these guys over at SPCR might be able to help --> Thermalright Silver Arrow Dual 14cm Fan Cooler | silentpcreview.com / Noctua NH-D14 flagship dual-fan CPU cooler | silentpcreview.com / Noctua NH-U12P tower Cooler | silentpcreview.com.

Read through the links, study the acoustic charts provided and make up your mind. I for one will support the Noctua's because --
  • Huge direct warranty of ~6 years;
  • free adapter-kit(s) for the latest processor sockets [as long as you have proof of purchase];
  • easy to install;
  • silent performance [for me];
  • greater control on the noise with the ULNA and LNA adapters bundled in the kit.

Noctua-NH-U12P SE2 is quite like nothing is on ;)

even on two fans i am unable to here them out and that's the reason they charge 1100 bucks per peace :p

---------- Post added at 05:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:29 PM ----------

@ALPHA17 : I am thinking of ordering the 90 degree turn grill so what should i do ???

on there site they are saying they want one pic or am3 mobo and one pic of noctua ????

can't i simply give them one single pic as one noctua is on board ?????

Noctua-NH-U12P SE2 is quite like nothing is on ;)

even on two fans i am unable to here them out and that's the reason they charge 1100 bucks per peace :p

@ALPHA17 : I am thinking of ordering the 90 degree turn grill so what should i do ???

on there site they are saying they want one pic or am3 mobo and one pic of noctua ????

Give a scanned copy of the bill for the processor + motherboard and for the cooler that should do the trick. I did it that way and true to their word within two weeks the adapter kit was sent to me [via priority air-mail so delivered by the postman].

By the way was it not your cooler that had a scratch? What happened to the plans to post a picture for that?

@ALPHA17 : yea but I am kind of a lazy person right now :p

that is due to lectures and other work and always try to do this stuff on Sunday but not that too i spend sleeping for long hrs :D

Will try this sunday :)

The Noctua-NH-U12P SE2 can be oriented in a North-South OR East-West to avoid overhanging on any DIMM's.

I do not know about the Thermalright's stock fan noise levels but these guys over at SPCR might be able to help --> Thermalright Silver Arrow Dual 14cm Fan Cooler | silentpcreview.com / Noctua NH-D14 flagship dual-fan CPU cooler | silentpcreview.com / Noctua NH-U12P tower Cooler | silentpcreview.com.

Read through the links, study the acoustic charts provided and make up your mind. I for one will support the Noctua's because --
  • Huge direct warranty of ~6 years;
  • free adapter-kit(s) for the latest processor sockets [as long as you have proof of purchase];
  • easy to install;
  • silent performance [for me];
  • greater control on the noise with the ULNA and LNA adapters bundled in the kit.

so i think, i will go for Noctua NH-U12P SE2.. i have to say bye bye to NH-D14..

I think i will be able to fit NH-U12P SE2 with my 4 Vengence RAMs..

I am getting this cooler for Rs. 4709 at flipkart..

Is there any better price available?

thanks

Back