Budget 71-90K Need advise for components to build a new high end gaming and productivity system and need tips/guides for windows and bios optimisation.

After much consideration on all the suggestions that have been made on this thread, I am more closer to come to a conclusive decision.

I have some queries for which I will appreciate your feedback, and I also request you guys to please list down a proper future proof mid-high end current gen AMD CPU config and a current gen INTEL CPU config. The components i want to settle for should not be a compromise be it even Case fans or Thermal paste.

Queries:
  1. If my usage is going to be mainly 3 things and that is Gaming on a high refresh rate monitor, using Nvidia shadowplay for some gameplay recording and video editing on filmora, then will the AMD 7800X3D suffice?
  2. What series of AMD motherboards are of the same league as Intel’s Z790 series?
  3. What should be the BIOS settings and Windows 11 OS settings that I must change whether I go with AMD CPU / INTEL CPU or Is there any specific thread on TE or elsewhere that guides the user step by step to the things to do once an AMD/INTEL system has been built?
  4. What is the best CPU air cooler out there which is not too noisy for the AMD AM5 platform?
  5. Do you guys suggest I go for an air cooler for the 7800X3D? Or AIO. I wont be overclocking.
  6. And what do you all have to say about this review of the 7800X3D. PCMAG have not praised it like how some other reviewers have done. After reading the review I am now confused :neutral:

“THE BOTTOM LINE​

With ho-hum CPU performance for the money, AMD's gaming-minded Ryzen 7 7800X3D is a tough sell as a mainstream CPU, given that its strengths will benefit only a small sliver of gamers.

PROS​

• Large amount of cache
    • Energy efficient
    • PCI Express 5.0 support

CONS​

• Sluggish (relative) performance for the money in CPU-intensive tasks
    • Runs hot
    • Pricey for the performance level
https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-7-7800x3d

Important notes:

I am someone who wants to spend less time trouble shooting hardware or software problems when I am at my desk. I don’t even remember the name of the AMD cpu I once owned some 15 years back. That doesn’t make me an Intel fan boy, it’s just that personally for me Intel and Nvidia combination has always been a hassle free experience and a love affair I am quite happy with and that’s the reason I am hesitant to switch to AMD.
I prefer the high end variants of Intel and Nvidia CPUs/GPUs and my upgrade pattern is usually after every 4-5 years.

For me the 1% lows also matter as much as higher frames. And I don’t want any stuttering.

So keeping the above in mind, please fill in the blanks with your suggestions for high end components and their brands that you guys would just buy and want to forget upgrading for the next 5 years.

INTEL CONFIG AMD CONFIG
CPU: ?CPU: ?
DDR 5 RAM : ?DDR 5 RAM: ?
M2 Gen 4 SSD: ?M2 Gen 4 SSD: ?
Motherboard: ?Motherboard: ?
Case Fans: ?Case Fans: ?
CPU air cooler: ?
CPU AIO: ?
Thermal paste: ?Thermal Paste: ?

Last edited:
1. 13700K will have lower video rendering times
2. X670 & X670E - latter has PCIe 5.0 GPU slot & more NVMe slots in general. You can overclock & undervolt CPU even in B650.

3. Win11 - turn off VBS. BIOS - enable XMP to a profile stored on your RAM (tune it later if you want). 7800X3D will run well on Win10 as well because all cores are equal.

4. AK620 is a good value air cooler. Easily enough for 7800X3D, not sure why that review says 7800X3D gets too hot. In general, Ryzen 7000 is tuned to hit 95C extracting as much performance as possible, maybe that's why. If I remember correctly, for 7950X - 250W vs 130W or so was resulting in just a 10% lower performance but far better thermals.

NH D15 is considered the top air cooler though, check case dimensions.

5. AK620 for 7800X3D - 360mm AIO for 13700K (Arctic used to be my recommendation but Arctic products are out of Indian markets, it seems - Lian Li can be another option, check Gamers Nexus reviews)

6. Check the detailed review by Gamers Nexus - they talked about some frame time spikes they observed on 7800X3D. Generally, no one said anything about temps as a con for 7800X3D as far as I have seen.

Again, if your productivity tasks are more, 13700K is an easy choice but at the expense of no future upgradability & higher investment on mobo & cooler. 7800X3D can be paired with a ~15k B650 mobo & 5k AK620. 13700K needs a high end Z790 for OC & high quality VRMs to handle 250W+ loads.

Since you have a NH D15S, just add a 2nd fan to it & with UV, it will be fine with 13700K. Which PSU do you have?

For AMD, don't go beyond 6000MHz RAM, it has some stability issues. 6000MHz CL30 is excellent though.

AMD - https://pcpricetracker.in/b/s/80248a1a-f010-49d2-9e2f-58fc362023fe
Put R9 7900 because 7800X3D doesn't seem to be available yet. For a higher end mobo, X670E TUF at 32k should be good.

Intel - https://pcpricetracker.in/b/s/41cecac0-1dac-49c9-bae4-b1e05c712d44
There are DDR4 mobos as well.

I put 1x32GB because I read online that dual channel is not necessarily required because of DDR5. Also, 4x DDR5 sticks don't run at high XMP freq, so will run at 4800MHz instead of 6000MHz (this might get solved with future BIOS updates). So, if you want more RAM, you can opt for 2x32GB while having the ability to use XMP.

What games do you intend to play at 1080p. Depending on the title you plan on playing, results will vary. For example, I can think of a few titles where a Ryzen 5 5600 will give well above 240fps at 1080p with a 3080, which makes any higher end CPU unnecessary.

I think you can go with the platform of choice upto your comfort. If Intel hasn't given you a problem over the years, then you could go with it. But later down the line, getting 13th gen motherboards will be extremely difficult, since LGA1700 is coming to an end this year (not a major issue but do keep in mind).
AMD on the other hand, does not give a good value proposition when compared to Intel, but you have a much better upgrade path.

Also, with a 3080 Ti, the difference between a 7800X3d and the 13700K will be slightly lesser when compared to benchmarks, since those use a 4090.

Motherboard wise, lower end AMD motherboards lose out on features, like a lower end audio codec, lesser M.2 slots, etc. A cheap Z790 is fine for Intel, since VRMs for these are basically overbuilt and can handle even an OC'ed 13900K all day long. And the 13700K consumes no more then 240w, not "250w+". Don't get eaten up by every benchmark you see on the net IMO, take them with a pinch of salt.

A 360mm AIO is not required. There's no way the 13700K will hit its max limit in filmora and games. Check this- Nh d15. I'll mention that a contact frame was used, so expect 3-4 C higher. An undervolt is enough.
13700k- https://pcpricetracker.in/b/s/f498858e-7867-45c8-8cdd-ae9d45ff45a6
Ryzen 9 7900- https://pcpricetracker.in/b/s/0fba44fb-0a62-42cb-be43-5eb3edb9755f (stock cooler is sufficient)

Also, for a secondary SSD, WD SN570 2TB for 13k is good. No point wasting 20k for a 980 pro

Last edited:
A big thanks to all of you for sharing such valuable info and removing many doubts that clouded my decision making. I am finally going with AMD this time (7800X3D). Lets see what team red has to offer me in terms of long term ownership.
By the way the Gskill website has listed this memory as a AMD EXPO kit. So can this be also used with Intel CPU or is this specific to AMD? https://www.gskill.com/product/165/390/1661410135/F5-6000J3038F16GX2-TZ5NR
And is this a good choice for the 7800X3D? What other alternatives can I go for in DDR5 6000mhz 16gbx2 low latency that are having high quality dual channel modules. I don't intend to use any overclocking features specially after reading comments from you guys.

"F5-6000J3038F16GX2-TZ5NR​

Trident Z5 Neo RGB
DDR5-6000 CL30-38-38-96 1.35V
32GB (2x16GB)
AMD EXPO

Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 memory is designed for ultra-high overclocked performance on DDR5-enabled AMD platforms. Featuring AMD EXPO overclocking technology for easy memory overclocking on supported AMD platforms, the Trident Z5 Neo RGB series is the ideal choice for building high-performance systems."

After much consideration on all the suggestions that have been made on this thread, I am more closer to come to a conclusive decision.

I have some queries for which I will appreciate your feedback, and I also request you guys to please list down a proper future proof mid-high end current gen AMD CPU config and a current gen INTEL CPU config. The components i want to settle for should not be a compromise be it even Case fans or Thermal paste.

Queries:
  1. If my usage is going to be mainly 3 things and that is Gaming on a high refresh rate monitor, using Nvidia shadowplay for some gameplay recording and video editing on filmora, then will the AMD 7800X3D suffice?
  2. What series of AMD motherboards are of the same league as Intel’s Z790 series?
  3. What should be the BIOS settings and Windows 11 OS settings that I must change whether I go with AMD CPU / INTEL CPU or Is there any specific thread on TE or elsewhere that guides the user step by step to the things to do once an AMD/INTEL system has been built?
  4. What is the best CPU air cooler out there which is not too noisy for the AMD AM5 platform?
  5. Do you guys suggest I go for an air cooler for the 7800X3D? Or AIO. I wont be overclocking.
  6. And what do you all have to say about this review of the 7800X3D. PCMAG have not praised it like how some other reviewers have done. After reading the review I am now confused :neutral:

“THE BOTTOM LINE​

With ho-hum CPU performance for the money, AMD's gaming-minded Ryzen 7 7800X3D is a tough sell as a mainstream CPU, given that its strengths will benefit only a small sliver of gamers.

PROS​

• Large amount of cache
    • Energy efficient
    • PCI Express 5.0 support
    • CONS
    • Sluggish (relative) performance for the money in CPU-intensive tasks
    • Runs hot
    • Pricey for the performance level
https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-7-7800x3d

Important notes:

I am someone who wants to spend less time trouble shooting hardware or software problems when I am at my desk. I don’t even remember the name of the AMD cpu I once owned some 15 years back. That doesn’t make me an Intel fan boy, it’s just that personally for me Intel and Nvidia combination has always been a hassle free experience and a love affair I am quite happy with and that’s the reason I am hesitant to switch to AMD.
I prefer the high end variants of Intel and Nvidia CPUs/GPUs and my upgrade pattern is usually after every 4-5 years.

For me the 1% lows also matter as much as higher frames. And I don’t want any stuttering.

So keeping the above in mind, please fill in the blanks with your suggestions for high end components and their brands that you guys would just buy and want to forget upgrading for the next 5 years.

INTEL CONFIG AMD CONFIG
CPU: ?CPU: ?
DDR 5 RAM : ?DDR 5 RAM: ?
M2 Gen 4 SSD: ?M2 Gen 4 SSD: ?
Motherboard: ?Motherboard: ?
Case Fans: ?Case Fans: ?
Thermal paste: ?Thermal Paste: ?
My Final recommendations to you

1. Please install a Licensed version of Win 11 Pro (could be OEM also – ensure that you get the Boxed Version with DVD – real installation would be to download the latest version from Microsoft website and then use your licence no ) -
ABOVE IS A NEGLECTED OPTION By many users in India as we wish to save money at the end.
Note that after spending lakhs on getting premium components – it’s Working Compatibility is LINKED TO A STABLE OS – Which is the Heart & Brain of your expensive system & to get the BEST performance with no worries (of course it may by irritating as Windows 11 – provides regular updates every few days – BUT it will ensure that your system is Stable)

2. Thermal Paste – Noctua is Best but Artic- MX4 is also good (I paid Rs 572 on 14th June 2022 – But shocked that it costs Rs 1403 today!)
3. Case Fans – Chose NZXT or Best is Noctua (expensive)
4. M2 Gen 4 SSD – WD Black SN850X (tested and working very well past 6 weeks)
5. DDR5 Ram – Stick to G.Skill (check height dimensions)
  • Lastly give a deeper thought on AMD (which is relatively new to handle DDR5 – Motherboard Manufacturers have not yet sufficiently tested its intricacies with BIOS and XMP profiles for DDR5 and you may encounter issues (maybe a year later issues will be better resolved) – as you chose to use your Nvidia GPU vs a Radeon
All the best on your new build

A big thanks to all of you for sharing such valuable info and removing many doubts that clouded my decision making. I am finally going with AMD this time (7800X3D). Lets see what team red has to offer me in terms of long term ownership.
By the way the Gskill website has listed this memory as a AMD EXPO kit. So can this be also used with Intel CPU or is this specific to AMD? https://www.gskill.com/product/165/390/1661410135/F5-6000J3038F16GX2-TZ5NR
And is this a good choice for the 7800X3D? What other alternatives can I go for in DDR5 6000mhz 16gbx2 low latency that are having high quality dual channel modules. I don't intend to use any overclocking features specially after reading comments from you guys.

"F5-6000J3038F16GX2-TZ5NR​

Trident Z5 Neo RGB
DDR5-6000 CL30-38-38-96 1.35V
32GB (2x16GB)
AMD EXPO

Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 memory is designed for ultra-high overclocked performance on DDR5-enabled AMD platforms. Featuring AMD EXPO overclocking technology for easy memory overclocking on supported AMD platforms, the Trident Z5 Neo RGB series is the ideal choice for building high-performance systems."
For the memory, check QVL, or Memory Support List that's available on the website of the motherboard. For ex, this is GB Z790 UD's QVL- https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z790-UD-rev-10/support#support-memsup
Put your memory stick's part number to check if it matches (

F5-6000J3038F16GX2-TZ5NR- this is your part number)​

For other options, I would suggest this- Gskill f5. Personally, I would recommend going Gskill, since they offer Samsung B dies (better in terms of stability IMO), compared to whatever XPG or other brands have to offer.

Last edited:
Looks like pretty soon they're gonna run out of stocks. The 7800X3D is selling like hot cakes. 3X more sales than entire 13th Gen Lineup, WHAATT?

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D is Selling 3x More
Screenshot-2023-02-02-at-20-50-27-Ryzen%E2%84%A2-7000-Series-Processors-with-AMD-3D-V-Cache%E2%84%A2-Technology-Pricing-and-Availability.png

For starters congrats on deciding to upgrade.
The following is what you can expect for the components you wish to sell.
Processor: i7 8700k, around 8K-10K
Motherboard: Asus TUF Z370, around 5K-6.5K
Rams: Gskill Trident Z DDR4 16GBKit 3200Mhz CL14?, around 4K because of CL14 otherwise around 3K

Now for the cooler: If this cooler is a recent release under 2 years then you're in luck because the brand probably manufactures the LGA 1700 bracket for it. If not, its better you sell off this one and grab something that does include LGA 1700 bracket(for Intel) and AM5 bracket (for AMD).
You could consider getting a 360mm based liquid Cooler. Keeps the PC subtle and doesn't look stuffed with a huge heatsink in the middle. You'll have to consider the ram heights if you do decide to stick to the Air Cooler.

For the new upgrades:
You should highly consider getting AMD's freshly released Risen 7800X3D because it has a crazy performance in game with help of that V-Cache memory. Instantly beats the shit out of 7950X & 7950X3d or at worst is on par with them. This is gonna be standard with games that use V cache memory. You might have better luck with Intel 13700k over multithreaded performances on productivity part. Expect a bit performance hit on 13700K when compared with 7800x3d.

For the motherboard you should consider MSI tomahawk. Asus motherboards are amazing and I personally use a z690e strip but they come at a hefty price tag.

As for the rams as stated by @terence_fdes, there is in fact issues with XMP profile enabled on 12th and 13th Gen Intel processors. Not only intel but people have witnessed similar problems on Ryen 7000 series too but not on higher count as its counterpart.
XMP causes problems like PC running but no display output and NO post at worst case scenario. A different issue could be with games or productivity softwares that are Ram intensive where the said application on the PC might freeze and shuts down instantly with a possible reboot of the PC. I personally had this issue. I had upgraded to intel 12900K based PC last year December with 6000Mhz rams. XMP enabled was causing my games to abruptly stop working and random PC restarts. A workaround/ fix to this was disabling the XMP profile and manually selecting XMP tweaked in RAM OC settings in BIOS(in ASUS, not certain if this is available in other brands). So far things have been stable for me as I haven't witnessed any crashes so far after this fix.

For the Power Supply:
If you somehow decide on AMD you are in luck and would be fine with 850W PSU and AMD had decent power consumption under rated 120W max TDP. Whereas Intel is heavy on power with max power draw of around 250W on max load(similar to my 12900KF). Combining that with 3080ti(I have the same but zotac amp holo) you are at about 700W jus with cpu and gpu. For the better you should opt for 1000W PSU and if you must, grab a ATX 3.0 based PSU so that you have a room for a possible GPU upgrade and then won't lack on the new 12VHPWR rated cables without the need for an alternate option.

I hope this helps you decide the final parts for the upgrade. ENJOY
What model ATX 3.0 1000W PSU which comes with the 12VHPWR rated cables would you recommend on the higher end.

And by the way I am listing down for all of you my final list of want to buy components. Please let me know if I have missed anything or if something is out of place.

Final config:
AMD 7800X3D CPU

TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS MOTHERBOARD

PSU ?

Noctua HD15 air cooler

G.SKILL F5-60003038F16GX2-TZ5NR (SK Hynix). RAM

Are SK Hynix chips better compared to Samsung B-dies? SK Hynix is used in this ram. See the pic.

Attachments

• IMG_8705.jpeg
    IMG_8705.jpeg
    45.8 KB · Views: 57
What model ATX 3.0 1000W PSU which comes with the 12VHPWR rated cables would you recommend on the higher end.

And by the way I am listing down for all of you my final list of want to buy components. Please let me know if I have missed anything or if something is out of place.

Final config:
AMD 7800X3D CPU

TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS MOTHERBOARD

PSU ?

Noctua HD15 air cooler

G.SKILL F5-60003038F16GX2-TZ5NR (SK Hynix). RAM

Are SK Hynix chips better compared to Samsung B-dies? SK Hynix is used in this ram. See the pic.
SK Hynix are better than standard Samsung Chips for DDR5, but when compared to B dies, I think I'll take the B dies, unless there's Hynix M (can Oc upto 7k, check Buildzoid videos) dies under the same budget. But the Hynix you have here looks solid, good timings overall, so I would take that over Samsung. BTW, I think the XPG Lancer shares the same Hynix die, but I have no idea why tRCD is higher than Gskill.

For the PSU, i think you mentioned that you already have a HX 850. Why upgrade? It's still a great PSU if it's under warranty. It certainly has enough wattage for your new build as well. Otherwise, I think coolermaster MWE 1250 gold is the only PSU here with a 12VHPWR connector.

I guess your missing the SSD as well.

Edit: most of the higher clocked out of the box DIMMS seem to come with Hynix (Im guessing that Gskill is M die as well) and barely no Samsung, but I would still keep samsung as an option for 6000, based on rep and experience.

Last edited:
SK Hynix are better than standard Samsung Chips for DDR5, but when compared to B dies, I think I'll take the B dies, unless there's Hynix M (can Oc upto 7k, check Buildzoid videos) dies under the same budget. But the Hynix you have here looks solid, good timings overall, so I would take that over Samsung. BTW, I think the XPG Lancer shares the same Hynix die, but I have no idea why tRCD is higher than Gskill.

For the PSU, i think you mentioned that you already have a HX 850. Why upgrade? It's still a great PSU if it's under warranty. It certainly has enough wattage for your new build as well. Otherwise, I think coolermaster MWE 1250 gold is the only PSU here with a 12VHPWR connector.

I guess your missing the SSD as well.

Edit: most of the higher clocked out of the box DIMMS seem to come with Hynix (Im guessing that Gskill is M die as well) and barely no Samsung, but I would still keep samsung as an option for 6000, based on rep and experience.
Thanks. Ya I guess I will hold on to my current PSU. I can later on upgrade to a better PSU when I upgrade my GPU.
Oh yes the SSD will be the M2 Gen 4 SSD – WD Black SN850X 2TB

For SSD, consider the KC3000. Its got a DRAM cache and good sequential speeds (on par with 850X) for under 15k.
Ok. What does sequential speeds mean and how does it impact the user on day to day usage? What is the main thing we should be looking at when it comes to selecting a good fast and reliable M2 SSD ?
And what do you think about this video where she has compared all the popular M2 SSDs including the Kingston KC3000

You still think the Kingston KC3000 is a better SSD than the WD SN850X?

Last edited:
TL ; DR= Both are good SSDs. For 14.3k, KC 3000 IMO is a better pick.
What does sequential speeds mean
Sequential speeds are those advertised "read" and "write" speeds by the manufacturer. This metric is mostly used for transferring or loading files. These speeds are limited to 3.5GBps on PCIe Gen3 SSDs, and approx 8GBps on Gen4 SSDs.
how does it impact the user on day to day usage
Well it's ironic really, since despite those huge difference in numbers, there's no difference between Gen3 SSDs and Gen4 SSDs for normal everyday tasks. Even game loading time differences are usually around .5 to 1 second, not really noticeable. Productivity tasks, like video editing with massive size videos will definitely see a difference with a Gen4 SSD.
What is the main thing we should be looking at when it comes to selecting a good fast and reliable M2 SSD ?
TBW (Terrabytes Written), warranty and reviews. TBW is an estimate as to how much data can be written on the SSD before it gets a hit in performance (speeds get slower). However, TBW for both the SN850X and KC 3000 are well over 1500 TB, so you don't have to worry about hitting that limit. You can check how much TB has been written using CrystalDisk. It varies from user. After 1.5 years of usage with the usual web browsing, MS Office and light gaming, my SSD's TBW stands at 8.1TB. Not a lot.
DRAM cache is another thing to look out for. To put simply, it's like a map that allows easy access to data by the memory controller. Again, doesn't really matter in gaming, but better for large files. SSDs with DRAM cache help in faster speeds and longer lifespan.

And what do you think about this video where she has compared all the popular M2 SSDs including the Kingston KC3000
Marginal difference between the SSDs, so you won't go wrong with either of them. I'd suggest going with whichever is cheaper.

Btw, if you're wondering why those results don't show the SSD hitting 7000MBps as advertised, it's primarily because those tasks aren't yet optimized to utilize the full Gen4 bandwith. Primary reason I can think of is that a majority of the people don't use high speed drives like these, and have drives that don't cross 3000MBps.

This is another reason why game loading times are same on a simple Gen3 SSD capped at 2GBps and Gen4 SSDs. However, with newer and resource demanding titles and Microsoft Direct Storage, Gen4 is starting to look like a much better option.

The cheapest (and reliable) Gen3 SSD is the WD SN570 for 12k. But for an extra 2k, the KC3000 offers much better reliance and better speeds (helps in future proofing as well).

BTW, I have some important queries about drivers and bios update. There is no hurry to answer these questions, but will appreciate a detailed response from you guys.

1. Is it recommended to traditionally uninstall GPU drivers from windows control panel and then use driver uninstaller (DDU) every time a new driver update is out? Or can we just update it from the Nvidia GeForce experience when the update is available. And does this uninstall and installing of new updates also apply to other updates like chipset, Lan, audio, SSD.
  2. Apart from some crucial updates that require a BIOS and Chipset update, is it necessary to update BIOS and Chipset drivers when ever a new update is available?
  3. Under motherboard BIOS settings (ASUS or other) which specific settings should ideally be changed in for AMD & INTEL CPUs before firing up windows. For eg. CPU states, SSD, PCI E slot, or others
  4. After the hardware is all put together and windows is installed, what should be the sequence of the essential things to be installed like BIOS update, hardware specific driver update like GPU, SSD, CHIPSET, LAN, Windows update etc..
  5. Once the windows is loaded and all the drivers are installed, what is the next and last step to do before I start using the system?

Last edited:
BTW, I have some important queries about drivers and bios update. There is no hurry to answer these questions, but will appreciate a detailed response from you guys.

1. Is it recommended to traditionally uninstall GPU drivers from windows control panel and then use driver uninstaller (DDU) every time a new driver update is out? Or can we just update it from the Nvidia GeForce experience when the update is available. And does this uninstall and installing of new updates also apply to other updates like chipset, Lan, audio, SSD.
  2. Apart from some crucial updates that require a BIOS and Chipset update, is it necessary to update BIOS and Chipset drivers when ever a new update is available?
  3. Under motherboard BIOS settings (ASUS or other) which specific settings should ideally be changed in for AMD & INTEL CPUs before firing up windows. For eg. CPU states, SSD, PCI E slot, or others
  4. After the hardware is all put together and windows is installed, what should be the sequence of the essential things to be installed like BIOS update, hardware specific driver update like GPU, SSD, CHIPSET, LAN, Windows update etc..
  5. Once the windows is loaded and all the drivers are installed, what is the next and last step to do before I start using the system?
1. It's enough to update drivers from GeForce experience. I'd say that the DDU route should be taken only if your driver has issues or you replugged your GPU. For others, it's enough to simply download the latest version and update.
2. For BIOS, if everything works fine, then let the BIOS be. If a newer BIOS version improves performance and stability of the system or fixes issues, then jump to the new one. Also, make sure to update the BIOS of your new motherboard before installing the OS. Its because the 7800X3D is a fairly new CPU, so I highly doubt that motherboards have out of the box support for it (use BIOS flashback Feature).
3. Other than EXPO/XMP and fan curves, there shouldn't be much to change in the BIOS. Make sure that ReSizeable bar is enabled (should be in PCIe settings), though it's mostly enabled in all BIOSes. Also, enable XMP after you've set up everything. Let the memory run at 4800 till then, because there might instability caused if it's set to its EXPO profile immediately.
4. Bios update-->OS Install-->windows updates-->chipset driver-->graphics driver-->XMP/EXPO enable
5. Stress test. Download some benchmarking software to test like Cinebench R23 (for CPU), Unigine Heaven (for GPU) , and also download a monitoring software like HWInfo to monitor temperatures, clocks and power draw. If results are similar to what you see on the net, then you're good to go.

Use this as guide as well-

Make sure you uninstall bloatware and unnecessary software after setting up everything. Disable startup apps that you don't need, and tweak Windows settings up to your preference. Another thing I personally do is going to Services and disable everything that I don't need. It helps cutting down CPU processes and memory usage, thus increasing performance. Another guide.

Last edited:
1. It's enough to update drivers from GeForce experience. I'd say that the DDU route should be taken only if your driver has issues or you replugged your GPU. For others, it's enough to simply download the latest version and update.
2. For BIOS, if everything works fine, then let the BIOS be. If a newer BIOS version improves performance and stability of the system or fixes issues, then jump to the new one. Also, make sure to update the BIOS of your new motherboard before installing the OS. Its because the 7800X3D is a fairly new CPU, so I highly doubt that motherboards have out of the box support for it (use BIOS flashback Feature).
3. Other than EXPO/XMP and fan curves, there shouldn't be much to change in the BIOS. Make sure that ReSizeable bar is enabled (should be in PCIe settings), though it's mostly enabled in all BIOSes. Also, enable XMP after you've set up everything. Let the memory run at 4800 till then, because there might instability caused if it's set to its EXPO profile immediately.
4. Bios update-->OS Install-->windows updates-->chipset driver-->graphics driver-->XMP/EXPO enable
5. Stress test. Download some benchmarking software to test like Cinebench R23 (for CPU), Unigine Heaven (for GPU) , and also download a monitoring software like HWInfo to monitor temperatures, clocks and power draw. If results are similar to what you see on the net, then you're good to go.

Use this as guide as well-

Make sure you uninstall bloatware and unnecessary software after setting up everything. Disable startup apps that you don't need, and tweak Windows settings up to your preference. Another thing I personally do is going to Services and disable everything that I don't need. It helps cutting down CPU processes and memory usage, thus increasing performance. Another guide.
Resizeable bar is a term I have often heard when YouTubers review hardware. I saw a video of hardware unboxed and there he is saying you will need to flash the vbios if you have a RTX 3080Ti. So that is my card.
But after checking system information under Nvidia control panel it shows Resizable bar as NO. So do I have to flash my card’s V-Bios to enable this feature or is it done from the motherboard? Now there are two different videos one which is 2 years old and the other one is a month old. Both links below. So what do I have to do exactly if I want it enabled on my current system and my new PC once I assemble it.
And last but not least, I want to know which is the best antivirus I should install?

Here’s the video

Last edited:
Resizeable bar is a term I have often heard when YouTubers review hardware. I saw a video of hardware unboxed and there he is saying you will need to flash the vbios if you have a RTX 3080Ti. So that is my card.
But after checking system information under Nvidia control panel it shows Resizable bar as NO. So do I have to flash my card’s V-Bios to enable this feature or is it done from the motherboard? Now there are two different videos one which is 2 years old and the other one is a month old. Both links below. So what do I have to do exactly if I want it enabled on my current system and my new PC once I assemble it.
And last but not least, I want to know which is the best antivirus I should install?

Here’s the video

Try enabling it from the motherboard first. It will mostly be enabled after this. If it still isn't enabled, then flash the latest VBIOS of your GPU.

For the Anti-virus, Windows defender is good enough. As long as you don't go all out in downloading shady stuff and be aware of everything that you click, Windows will keep your system safe.

But after checking system information under Nvidia control panel it shows Resizable bar as NO
You can use GPU-Z to get exact reason if its disabled. There are multiple things needed before it gets enabled. In my case, my bios settings had reset and i had to disable CSM. For Nvidia i think it does not make too much difference.

I did not need to update gpu firmware for this, could be that it was already done before i bought.
But i did have to update firmware for displayport support in gpu.

1621262822395-png.200663

You can use GPU-Z to get exact reason if its disabled. There are multiple things needed before it gets enabled. In my case, my bios settings had reset and i had to disable CSM. For Nvidia i think it does not make too much difference.

I did not need to update gpu firmware for this, could be that it was already done before i bought.
But i did have to update firmware for displayport support in gpu.

1621262822395-png.200663
For me, GPU-Z says NO for three things. I am guessing all three are to be changed within BIOS?
What is CSM and 4G decode?
I have attached a screenshot.

For me, GPU-Z says NO for three things. I am guessing all three are to be changed within BIOS?
What is CSM and 4G decode?
I have attached a screenshot.
Yes CSM is legacy bios support and must be disabled. Make sure you are booting off UEFI/GPT.
Dont know about 4g decode, but it must be in bios too as tool says.
What is the 3rd thing ? I don't see any screenshot.

Back