Need a easy and robust game development engine

Prophet

Disciple
May 28, 2011
Can you please suggest me any game engine which is easy to understand and deploy, and can give eye catching professional looking outputs. I know about two of these engines, Unity 3D and FPS Creator x10. But I need more functions in my game like animating game characters to tell story while game is going on. I mean not showing story as loading a video file or something(For example story telling style in Half-Life 2). Also many advanced features like playing a video as background in main menu of game. But this should all be done with less programming and more drag and drop feature. I am having a graphics project to be completed by this December. So, I want a tool that can quickly develop a game...

Thank You for your attention to my thread... :)

pr0ing

Adept
Sep 4, 2006
How big is your team? If you are doing this alone and are still looking for an engine, then you need to scale down the scope of your project.

The features that you need are difficult to be implemented as "Drag and Drop" but playing a video in the menu background will be available in most engines.

I'd suggest you to look into the ModDB link above and choose an engine which looks easy to you and then design/scale your project to use only the features supported by that engine.

If you are not interested in programming then a game project should be your last choice for a graphics project.

razormax

Recruit
Sep 10, 2010
I would suggest you go with UDK because,

1. Instead of programming you can use their visual scripting tool called Kismet which is a flow chart kinda tool.

2. It is free for non-commercial use so you get out-of-the-box tool with all features.

3. Lots of video tutorials are floating around on the net as well as on their official site.

4. It comes with a lot of graphical assets built-in

5. It has ScaleformUI support which is the industry standard for menu creation in games.

6. It has a tool called Matinee which is used to create flythroughs, cutscenes etc.

Also once you learn UDK, it will help you in future if you want to enter gaming industry because most companies prefer candidates with UDK or some kind of game engine knowledge and UDk tops this list.

Prophet

Disciple
May 28, 2011
Thank you all..your suggestions really helped a lot. Can anyone suggest me any good tutorial on UDK?