My old and quirky LG washing machine

hollanet

Disciple
I have a LG DirectDrive 7KG front loading WM and it is about 10 years old.
It is now showing a strange behavior. It goes something like this...

In the morning we do our daily wash and I usually select the
30-minute quick wash. By and large things run ok, though
some times I have to press the lid little stronger for it to start
and some times the 'child lock' error message "CL" comes and goes
but the wash cycle is completed and it shuts down normally.

Now if I try to start another wash programme then the weird
behavior starts. After loading the clothes and detergent if I
press 'start' it just won't start at all. The spin speed, temperature
are set correctly according to the program selected but no time
display. It will just remain in this mode. So I switch off the
machine, pull out the power plug and let the machine sit for 4-5
hours, some times till the next day. Then it is ok for the next wash.

Any thoughts what could be wrong ? If I call the service guy their
immediate advice is to change the front panel (I did change the panel
two years back).

It sounds like some buttons aren't registering input properly so its getting confused.

Once it does understand what to do it completes the job so there is no mechanical fault going by what you said.

For what reason did you change the panel two years ago?

Moisture can cause such behaviour. Put your machine in broad sunlight for a day or two. If there's no sunlight, you can try blowing hot air in and around the machine for an hour or two. Or, keep it in the dry air of an AC,

Is the machine kept outside, is it in a bathroom or high humid area.
Is the buttom a touch type or push type.

Is the diagnostic mode working.
Press spin, temp simultaneously, while holding this press power. It should get into the diagnostic mode. Now press start/play it will check the drum rotation, after pressing the play/start button one more time and so forth again and again, it will cycle to faster spin speeds, then to solonoid intlet valve, heater, drain etc respectively.

You don't have to cycle through all functions, just see if the first diagnostic functions works by pressing the play/start buttom. If it works that means the button works.

But when your machine doesn't run like you said, immediately try doing the diagnostic mode if it works, then its not the buttom fault. If it doesn't work then its the button fault.

Last edited:
When I changed the panel it was because of display issues. At that time the service person said that moisture and water seepage from the top of the WM is a major issue in the LG because there is no protective cover.

As you mentioned I also feel moisture/dampness is the trigger but I do not suspect the front panel, some sensor outside of it.
Thanks for the info about the diag mode, I will try and see if something comes up.

I do not suspect the buttons because when the service person changed the front panel he had checked them and said they are fine.

At that time the service person said that moisture and water seepage from the top of the WM is a major issue in the LG because there is no protective cover.
When you empty the machine do you place the wet clothes on the top of the machine?

I'm wondering how moisture and water seepage 'from the top' can happen

Back