Laptops My First ThinkPad! - ThinkPad E14 Gen 5 (AMD)

sid41299

Disciple
After many years of dealing with ratty laptops I finally bought myself a new one, and it's this ThinkPad E14. I think I got a pretty good price for it (51K, after all the deals and discounts), and it's generally such a nice laptop to use, with a just few minor niggles.

(Also putting this here so that it'll get noticed easier, what are some good resources to get used parts for ThinkPads? Apparently you can put the screen from a T14 Gen 3/4 in this, which is a much better and power efficient unit, and I want to do that eventually)

Optioned specs:
  • AMD Ryzen 5 7530U
  • 8GB RAM (will add another 8GB eventually)
  • Single 256GB SSD
  • No OS
  • 45% NTSC 1920x1200 non-touch screen
  • Backlit keyboard
  • Aluminium bottom cover
  • 1080p webcam with IR sensors - no fingerprint reader
  • 57Wh battery
TL;DR: Feels like a ThinkPad, looks like a ThinkPad, works like a ThinkPad. Inexpensive, not cheap.

Very solidly built (duh). I used to use a 2015 MacBook Pro 13in and this feels as good in hand as that, if not better. Not one-handable, but the the weight just makes it feel like it's can handle anything thrown at it, not flimsy at all. The keyboard is excellent, and from what I've heard this is a shallower keyboard than previous ThinkPads, but since I can't compare I won't. It's just an excellent keyboard that takes a bit of getting used to coming from a 15.6in device, especially not having a numpad. The swapping of the Fn and Ctrl keys is annoying though, as is not having media controls on the Fn row.
TrackPoint is super handy when it's on my lap/any situation where the trackpad is too close to use comfortably. I'm slowly getting used to it, but I don't foresee myself making it my primary mouse.

Having HDMI and Ethernet is an absolute godsend, as is USB-C charging. My phone charges with the laptop's charger without issues, so the fact that I have to carry around only one charger when I travel is making me giddy. Pretty sure no other 14in laptop offers that here; ditto with the ethernet port. The only thing I would say is missed is an SD card reader, but considering my next point I don't think it's that big of a deal.

The screen is a solid 6. 45% NTSC ain't kidding, but it's not even bad. It's perfectly alright for a business laptop, especially because it's so crisp and sharp. As someone who edits his own photos sometimes, a better screen would have been nice, but at a 6.2K INR premium I didn't think it was worth. Windows Hello is super convenient, but I would like to test out how narrow it's operating window actually is.

The performance itself is nothing special. I didn't get it for any power-hungry tasks, and my work is relatively lightweight so the AMD CPU + bigger battery gets me long enough battery life. I like that it doesn't heat up too much as well, important when you're using it as a "lap"top. I do wish we had got the 7x40 line of Ryzen 7000 APUs (Zen 4, the 7x30 line is Zen 3. No idea what's going on at AMD's naming department) if only for the improved RDNA3 cores in those chips, but this is fine enough.

The open RAM slot and two SSD slots are also very VERY nice to have. I will be putting in an 8 or 16GB RAM and a second SSD in it in a few months, but the fact that I can do that is amazing. Pretty much no other 14in laptop offers any level of upgradeability at this price point.

Overall, I'm definitely looking forward to spending the next few years with this machine as my second primary. Obvious form-factor restrictions aside this is a very competent on-the-go replacement for my desktop.

20240204_211948.jpg

Attachments

• 20240204_211659.jpg
    20240204_211659.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 36
  • 20240204_211721.jpg
    20240204_211721.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 36
  • 20240204_211741.jpg
    20240204_211741.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 34
  • 20240204_211820.jpg
    20240204_211820.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 20240204_211852.jpg
    20240204_211852.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 20240204_212013.jpg
    20240204_212013.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 20240204_212044.jpg
    20240204_212044.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Hey, where did you get it from? I want to buy the same laptop, but can't find it for this price. Can you also tell me what kind of offers you got?

The swapping of the Fn and Ctrl keys is annoying though, as is not having media controls on the Fn row.
AFAIK, you can swap it in BIOS settings.

After many years of dealing with ratty laptops I finally bought myself a new one, and it's this ThinkPad E14. I think I got a pretty good price for it (51K, after all the deals and discounts), and it's generally such a nice laptop to use, with a just few minor niggles.

(Also putting this here so that it'll get noticed easier, what are some good resources to get used parts for ThinkPads? Apparently you can put the screen from a T14 Gen 3/4 in this, which is a much better and power efficient unit, and I want to do that eventually)

Optioned specs:
  • AMD Ryzen 5 7530U
  • 8GB RAM (will add another 8GB eventually)
  • Single 256GB SSD
  • No OS
  • 45% NTSC 1920x1200 non-touch screen
  • Backlit keyboard
  • Aluminium bottom cover
  • 1080p webcam with IR sensors - no fingerprint reader
  • 57Wh battery
TL;DR: Feels like a ThinkPad, looks like a ThinkPad, works like a ThinkPad. Inexpensive, not cheap.

Very solidly built (duh). I used to use a 2015 MacBook Pro 13in and this feels as good in hand as that, if not better. Not one-handable, but the the weight just makes it feel like it's can handle anything thrown at it, not flimsy at all. The keyboard is excellent, and from what I've heard this is a shallower keyboard than previous ThinkPads, but since I can't compare I won't. It's just an excellent keyboard that takes a bit of getting used to coming from a 15.6in device, especially not having a numpad. The swapping of the Fn and Ctrl keys is annoying though, as is not having media controls on the Fn row.
TrackPoint is super handy when it's on my lap/any situation where the trackpad is too close to use comfortably. I'm slowly getting used to it, but I don't foresee myself making it my primary mouse.

Having HDMI and Ethernet is an absolute godsend, as is USB-C charging. My phone charges with the laptop's charger without issues, so the fact that I have to carry around only one charger when I travel is making me giddy. Pretty sure no other 14in laptop offers that here; ditto with the ethernet port. The only thing I would say is missed is an SD card reader, but considering my next point I don't think it's that big of a deal.

The screen is a solid 6. 45% NTSC ain't kidding, but it's not even bad. It's perfectly alright for a business laptop, especially because it's so crisp and sharp. As someone who edits his own photos sometimes, a better screen would have been nice, but at a 6.2K INR premium I didn't think it was worth. Windows Hello is super convenient, but I would like to test out how narrow it's operating window actually is.

The performance itself is nothing special. I didn't get it for any power-hungry tasks, and my work is relatively lightweight so the AMD CPU + bigger battery gets me long enough battery life. I like that it doesn't heat up too much as well, important when you're using it as a "lap"top. I do wish we had got the 7x40 line of Ryzen 7000 APUs (Zen 4, the 7x30 line is Zen 3. No idea what's going on at AMD's naming department) if only for the improved RDNA3 cores in those chips, but this is fine enough.

The open RAM slot and two SSD slots are also very VERY nice to have. I will be putting in an 8 or 16GB RAM and a second SSD in it in a few months, but the fact that I can do that is amazing. Pretty much no other 14in laptop offers any level of upgradeability at this price point.

Overall, I'm definitely looking forward to spending the next few years with this machine as my second primary. Obvious form-factor restrictions aside this is a very competent on-the-go replacement for my desktop.
You can add a few snaps and ask one of the Mods to move it to the Reviews section.

Hey, where did you get it from? I want to buy the same laptop, but can't find it for this price. Can you also tell me what kind of offers you got?

AFAIK, you can swap it in BIOS settings.
I purchased directly from Lenovo. They were running a Republic Day sale, and there's a coupon for another Rs. 5,000 off if you buy a customised model, which I did, plus 10% Cashback on credit card purchases. The sale is still running, and a laptop matching my spec is still at the exact price I purchased it for.

This is a good laptop. I wanted to get it too but ended up getting a MacBook Air M2 since my wife wanted to be part of the Apple ecosystem.

This is a good laptop. I wanted to get it too but ended up getting a MacBook Air M2 since my wife wanted to be part of the Apple ecosystem.
That's a fantastic choice. I wanted to get the basic M1 Air for 70K, but it was quite out of my budget and the only advantage for me would have been the neverending battery, which is not such a big deal now because this thing easily lasts a day even if I do some moderate gaming, so I decided it was not worth the extra financial hassle

That's a fantastic choice. I wanted to get the basic M1 Air for 70K, but it was quite out of my budget and the only advantage for me would have been the neverending battery, which is not such a big deal now because this thing easily lasts a day even if I do some moderate gaming, so I decided it was not worth the extra financial hassle
Long battery life is an advertising lie. It last's a bit longer but I would've preferred a windows laptop over this one any day. The only advantage is the small charger so I can use it both for my phone and the laptop and high resolution display. MacBooks are full of hype and not worth the money.

Back