Graphic Cards Multiple Gpu Problems. Need Help Asap !

R0@CH

Disciple
hey friends,

yesterday i bought a new gpu + psu to upgrade my old system. The specs are -

CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E5200 (2.5 GHz)

Mobo - Mercury PIG31T

RAM - 1 GB DDR2 (soon adding another 1GB)

Hard Disk -SeaGate 200 GB

GPU - Sapphire Radeon 6770*

PSU - Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 460W *

Monitor - AOC 731w (1280 x 720)

Cabinet - Intex OEM Cabinet (upgrading in 4 days to Zeb Reaper)

Problems :-

First of all no gaming performance - from the moment i started Modern Warfare 3, it took almost 8 minutes to load the first act, the cutscene played for about 15 seconds and boom - artifacts.

i got blue/black stripes all over my screen and it hung.Theoretically it should run on high settings fine at my resolution.

My catalyst control center is also showing the core clock 775 MHz, whereas the sapphire card comes oc'ed to 850 MHz. Firstly there were no GPU drivers already installed on the system

and i clean installed them twice (install/reboot, un-install/reboot again installed.)

Currently i am running my system on an open cabinet, so i don't think there's any heating problem.

i also tried BattleField Bad Company 2 and same thing happened again.

currently the GPU is connected to the monitor via VGA cable.

i can also get a corsair CX 500 instead of Cooler Master PSU (should i get it ?, is it worth it ?)

i need help ASAP so i can get the parts replaced/bought immediately.

Thanx in advance for only those who help.

^^ The Corsair CX 500 and the Cooler Master eXtreme series SMPS are both not recommended in these scenarios [being inferior in build and efficiency in comparison to FSP and other budget offerings], if possible get the Seasonic S12II 430W ~ 3000/- OR the S12II 520W ~ 3200/- [if you are in Bombay you can get these at cheaper rates from Prime ABGB OR TheITWares].

If you are on a tight budget, replace your current SMPS with this one --> Corsair CX V2 430W ~ 2200/-.

I think the graphics card may be the culprit here though, try to get that replaced at the shop OR RMA-ed through the right channels. You can tell Sapphire what all problems you are facing, but before this try updating yourself to the latest AMD Catalyst version 11.11 -- http://support.amd.com/us/Pages/AMDSupportHub.aspx

Also what OS are you using? Did you install the drivers from the disc OR downloaded the latest ones from the net.

Hope this helps, Sire. Cheers!!

It looks like a problem of the card to me , i used to max out everything on a 5770 on a 1400 by 900 resolution some time back , for games which were heavy it used to frame and fps used to drop but never gave me such issues. In between my SMPS then was Cooler Master Extreme Power 600 watts

As ALPHA17 said i also don't recommend CM eXtreme Plus Smps so i would recommend you upgrading...but first get your card checked. If possible replaced. Then if still the problem persists then upgrade your SMPS.

i cannot check this on another system currently

I'm currently using Catalyst drivers 11.9

also tried bad company 2 not even showing the main menu

using GPU-Z it's showing memory type gddr5, but memory size is 0MB (wtf??)

shader / pixel / rops / all are zero

i called my vendor, and he says that it's something to do with the BIOS {is it even possible???}

is the power supply not even capable of handling the system ??

i won't be adding any other peripherals or devices {final build}

nor i'm interested in overclocking.

I'm currently using Catalyst drivers 11.9

also tried bad company 2 not even showing the main menu

using GPU-Z it's showing memory type gddr5, but memory size is 0MB (wtf??)

i called my vendor, and he says that it's something to do with the BIOS {is it even possible???}

is the power supply not even capable of handling the system ??

nor i'm interested in overclocking.

Are you sure you are not going to add any other peripherals, like atleast a new hard drive down the line, if you can survive with just 200GB of space hats of to you Sire.

Even apart from that the Cooler Master eXtreme Power series has come under a lot of flak, FSP, Corsair and Seasonic have all introduced better SMPS at similar price points availability is the only issue.

Okay, if you cannot test this card in another system, why do not you talk to your dealer and ask for an immediate replacement as of now, can be a faulty BIOS, a bad card. You being a customer deserve better so get it replaced ASAP.

You have an Intel G31 based system, it should have an onboard IGP try to run the system on that [does your graphic card display the desktop fine OR it has artifacts there as well?].

Hope this helps, Sire. Cheers!!

You have to check the card on another system before you can conclude there is nothing wrong with it, there is no other way, your computer didnt have any problems before and isnt having any problems doing desktop stuff so only problem is in games check your graphics card.

Another thing you can do is get more ram and try again. You need atleast 2 gb using 2 1gb sticks to play those games less ram explains your long loads and failure to load stuff. Now that i think about it there is a good chance your problems are due to less ram but it doesnt explain graphic artifacts.

1. add another stick of ram and check (this will solve load problems little but really you need 4gb but then again best to save for a cpu mb overhaul)

2. test gpu in another system.(I think you got unlucky ..... bad card artifacts are 99% due to bad gpu, not sure but most of the times its fried gpu mem and you seem to have noticed an issue there as well)

Whatever it might be, if the GPU is healthy, then gpuz will show the exact clocks, memory size, type etc. else the GPU might be kaput

#alpha17 : that was precisely the reason i wrote my PSU then was , if i thought it would be capable of handling 600 watt wld not have gone for 550 watt corsair vx for my 560 ti
<
. What i meant was the problem occuring right now is probably cause of the card not because of the power supply.

okay guys, tried the latest GPU-Z , now it's showing everything right (atleast for now)

just installed the latest catalyst drivers 11.12

still cannot play modern warfare 3, it even drops frame rates on main menu with lowest settings.

installed a fresh win 7 format and installed resident evil 5, not even starting.

i know the RAM is a bit low, but atleast the cut-scenes should play right (it is'nt in mw3)

@Alpha17 No i won't be adding anything later on, and how is CX500 not better than CX430 v2 ???

The desktop runs fine on 1280x720 WITHOUT a single flickering.

I will go to the vendor this evening to get it replaced, suggest a good power supply for the card under 3k please.

i can get cx500 by returning the CM X460 and adding a couple of bucks.

^^ Seasonic S12II 430W ~ 2600/- OR Corsair CX V2 430W ~ 2400/-.

The Corsair CX series SMPS -- Builder series is rated for 80+ efficiency @30 degrees Centigrade, so they are general crap and definitely not recommended for powering a RIG with a half decent mid-range graphics card.

The CX 400 [old EoL SMPS] and the CX V2 430W are the only CX series SMPS models that are worth their price + since the advent of Seasonic in the Indian market [Seasonic designs are OEM for most Corsair SMPS] these [CX series] SMPS are even less attractive, the Seasonic S12II 430W [80+ Bronze efficiency, 5 year warranty] compared to CX V2 430W [80+ efficiency, 3 year warranty]. Make sense, here are some links for back-up -- http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=239 / http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Corsair-CX400W-Power-Supply-Review/750.

Corsair CX 400 vs. older CX 430 and above [CX 500W, 600W] good read -- http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=61215

Where are you making this purchase from again? [which city are you based in?].

Hope this helps and clears the air, Sire.

unfortunately i live in raipur (C.G.)

and i'm making my purchases from M.D. computers

it was the only one with new graphic cards, everyone else had fossils......
<

</p>

<div>^^ Seasonic S12II 430W ~ 2600/- OR Corsair CX V2 430W ~ 2400/-.</div>

<div> </div>

<div>The Corsair CX series SMPS -- Builder series is rated for 80+ efficiency @30 degrees Centigrade, so they are general crap and definitely not recommended for powering a RIG with a half decent mid-range graphics card. </div>

<div> </div>

<div>The CX 400 [old EoL SMPS] and the CX V2 430W are the only CX series SMPS models that are worth their price + since the advent of Seasonic in the Indian market [Seasonic designs are OEM for most Corsair SMPS] these [CX series] SMPS are even less attractive, the Seasonic S12II 430W [80+ Bronze efficiency, 5 year warranty] compared to CX V2 430W [80+ efficiency, 3 year warranty]. Make sense, here are some links for back-up -- http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&amp;op=Story&amp;reid=239 / http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Corsair-CX400W-Power-Supply-Review/750.</div>

<div> </div>

<div>Corsair CX 400 vs. older CX 430 and above [CX 500W, 600W] good read -- http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&amp;t=61215</div>

<div> </div>

<div>Where are you making this purchase from again? [which city are you based in?].</div>

<div> </div>

<div>Hope this helps and clears the air, Sire.</div>

Re-read my earlier post, I'm facing a few technical issues. I've put in a few link which should answer your questions better.

If you are getting a CX 500W better stick to your Cooler Master eXtreme Power supply, later get a SMPS from Bombay through ITWares OR PrimeABGB. Cheers!!

just back from the vendor, seems that the power supply is the real deal.

he cross checked from other two vendors and seems it cannot handle the graphic card.

i ordered a FSP saga II 500 and Corsair CX430 v2.

<finger's crossed> let's hope one of them can run my system fine.

i'm bending more towards fsp, because of 500w keeping my case modding in mind in near future.

thanks for everyone's help.

i will post as soon as possible to confirm my full working rig in next three days.

Back