Multi gigabit switch

psoonee

Patron
Hi, has anyone used multi gigabit switch for connecting APs / wired backhaul of mesh?

Wondering if 2.5G is worth it and if there is any real world impact.

Have it but not got around to getting it done due to having to change wiring. Only base switch is 10GbE.

Only useful if you have multiple gigabit lines/higher than 1GbE speeds on WAN or you have higher speed requirements from LAN. If you dont satisfy these requirements, its not for you.

Hi,
Not going to be worth it, if you are just considering it for APs/ Wired backhaul of the mesh devices because they are 1Gig ports, I've not yet seen any Mesh routers/APs that have 2.5G ports.
As for upgrading to 2.5Gig, yes definitely worth it, but only if you have other devices on your network that are also 2.5Gig and you need to transfer data between them on a regular basis e.g, backups or NAS or media server.

Got it, thanks folks. yes, the key requirement was to actually be able to use gigabit on wireless everywhere and speed up nightly backups.

Any recommendations for cheap 2.5GbE / 10GbE switches?

Seeing gigabit ones for sub 5K and 2.5GbE ones for >12-15K.

Hi,
Not going to be worth it, if you are just considering it for APs/ Wired backhaul of the mesh devices because they are 1Gig ports, I've not yet seen any Mesh routers/APs that have 2.5G ports.
As for upgrading to 2.5Gig, yes definitely worth it, but only if you have other devices on your network that are also 2.5Gig and you need to transfer data between them on a regular basis e.g, backups or NAS or media server.

Some do have. I just setup mine yesterday and the other will setup when wiring is changed - currently stuck at 100M
Got it, thanks folks. yes, the key requirement was to actually be able to use gigabit on wireless everywhere and speed up nightly backups.

Any recommendations for cheap 2.5GbE / 10GbE switches?

Seeing gigabit ones for sub 5K and 2.5GbE ones for >12-15K.

Most are gigabit ready already. Take your choice of WiFi 5/6 devices. If you want a cheap mesh AP that is cheap and good, look at the Deco M5 - it has come down to 7K for a pair of 3 during sales on flipkart. but Wifi5

For the cheap 2.5Gbe switch, there are zyxel switches around 10K. but makes no sense. I am using an HP enterprise switch.

If you are doing backups from wireless to wired, no point wasting money on 2.5Gbe, most devices wont be able to saturate the links on both sides. Test and then take.
Got it. thanks.

Not mass market ones but many do. I currently use a mesh of Asus XT8s with wired backhaul. they have 2.5G ports.

Ah. somehow missed this. Go ahead with 2.5Gbe but doubtful if you can saturate the links.

Last edited:
Back