MTNL woes..

m0h1t

drinks like a fish
Patron
Hey guys..

I'm quite bugged by my stupid mtnl connection.

I'm using opendns and dial on pc(pppoe)

These are the problems I'm facing.

*Frequent disconnections.. although the line isn't dropped but all internet services seize to work.

*At times (..right now for instance) some sites and services work such as skype, TE, cs.rin.ru, but others including google doesn't open

*After I'm done using torrents, none of the sites open. Disconnecting the session or disabling-enabling adapter doesn't help. I have to wait for atleast 10-15 mins before web pages start to open, Also the moment I restart the machine everything seems to work fine. (I'm not sure if this is related to the mtnl connection.)

I thought first I'll call up the customer support but then I realised it would be an utter waste of time.

Could these issues be caused by bad lines or what?

Are these issues being faced by anyone else in delhi(south) or elsewhere?

bro.. m using 256 unltd..

m too facing probs alot..

wenevr my nets on and if dere's a phone call on my landline (i do a phone call r if it comes ).. my net disconnects.. and den starts again..

at times dere are frequent disconnections and sm times my net doesnt evn connect.. really pissed off with mtnl..

i have complained.. but as usual no action taken!!

well.. I went down to my exchange today, they said there are some issues with the server, should be just fine in a day or so.

mr47 said:
well.. I went down to my exchange today, they said there are some issues with the server, should be just fine in a day or so.

This is the stuff that happens many a times with MTNL. Mostly it's because of line troubles/servers at local exchange. Not much you can do about it.

If you need a solid, no-nonsense connection get Airtel. Though, MTNL has better plans at very nice prices and quite good speed.

^totally agree with u but airtel plans are so expensive 2222+taxes for 1mbps UL

I'm thinking I'll find a guy in mtnl exchange, pay him a lil money to get an extra speed boost..!

Do u think this would be feasible?

looks like ur modem settings are not right

check ur tcp mtu and tcp mss values, should be 1492 and 1360 respectively

MTNL still runs on decade o'l infrasturcture. The fact is very evident from the slow running irctc hosted on mtnl.
mtnl sucks. They are enjoying their monopoly here. hope trai and govt. will soon make policies better for other major players

titana said:
looks like ur modem settings are not right

check ur tcp mtu and tcp mss values, should be 1492 and 1360 respectively

I have the beetel 220BX1, and its on bridge mode.
Couldn't find TCP MTU or MSS anywhr..

i called up mtnl.. dey say its fine from dere side.. it must be sm prob in ur area network?

servers are not down

i put in janakpuri.. and facing a lot of prob.. if u stay nearby.. den it cud b dat area network has prob but if not, den dere's prob from back..

i had being thinking to put it consumer court.. its been arr 2 months now!

guything said:
i called up mtnl.. dey say its fine from dere side.. it must be sm prob in ur area network?
servers are not down
i put in janakpuri.. and facing a lot of prob.. if u stay nearby.. den it cud b dat area network has prob but if not, den dere's prob from back..

i had being thinking to put it consumer court.. its been arr 2 months now!

The problem is not with my connection. My connection is working fine. I got my connection about 8 days back TriB Unlimited 256 kbps Plan. Got it mainly for gaming and my ping was about 170-230 on UK servers for 2-3 days. Now suddenly it has shot up to 290-350. Don't know why!!! Could this be because some server is down or something? I am desperate to get this problem fixed so that I can start playing again without getting kicked. Stupid MTNL!!! :mad:
And, I forgot to mention that I don't want to call their customer care because they don't even know what latency is...!

windhawk91 said:
The problem is not with my connection. My connection is working fine. I got my connection about 8 days back TriB Unlimited 256 kbps Plan. Got it mainly for gaming and my ping was about 170-230 on UK servers for 2-3 days. Now suddenly it has shot up to 290-350. Don't know why!!! Could this be because some server is down or something? I am desperate to get this problem fixed so that I can start playing again without getting kicked. Stupid MTNL!!! :mad:
And, I forgot to mention that I don't want to call their customer care because they don't even know what latency is...!

MTNL sux for gaming. get any cheapo Airtel plan if pings, stability and online gaming is your concern

Whoever told you that really doesn't know anything. MTNL is better than Airtel even with the higher pings lol. I have an Airtel connection and I get pings no less than 300 on any server :|

windhawk91 said:

Maybe bcoz Mtnl changed their routing or mtnl's isp changed their routing.

Mtnl does not care if you get a ping of 50 or 500, if you get the download speed you signed up for, end of story.

To the guy who opened this thread, can you post your SNR margin and attenuation numbers.

Beetel 220BX1

SNR Margin (dB) - 15.3 (Downstream) / 18.2 (Upstream)
Attenuation (dB) - 35.0 (Downstream) / 21.7 (Upstream)

downstream SNR Margin varies from 13-15 dB between restarts
All is fine I guess..?

mr47 said:
Beetel 220BX1

SNR Margin (dB) - 15.3 (Downstream) / 18.2 (Upstream)

Attenuation (dB) - 35.0 (Downstream) / 21.7 (Upstream)

downstream SNR Margin varies from 13-15 dB between restarts

All is fine I guess..?

seems pretty decent. Mine get worse at times.

@windhawk91: May be it's exception with you. But mostly I have seen very good pings with Airtel.

Back