MTNL Mumbai settings on Cisco WAG120N

I purchased Cisco WAG120N wireless router for new MTNL broadband connection. But the MTNL guy was all confused doing the settings :S

Can anybody help me out with the settings? I called MTNL 1504 to ask whether the services were enabled to which she said yea. So I guess I just need to configure the modem.

Haven't used that router but these are the only places where you might get stuck..

1. Choose "RFC 2516 PPPoE" in the Encapsulation.
2. Set Multiplexing to" LLC"
3. VPI/VCI to 0 and 32
4. Set DSL Modulation to "Multimode"
5. And QoS Type to "UBR"
6. Your phone number is your username and CA Number is your password(by default).

Where are you stuck now and what do you need help with?

Is the wiring done properly?

Are you able to access the modem's admin page?

What do the LEDs display after about 5 mins of switching on?

I have a WAG120N and it worked on it's own. I had to just change the username/password.

I had to upgrade the firmware before it started working properly though.

Linksys by Cisco - WAG120N Support

If you have bought it now, it will most probably have the latest firmware. Check this anyway.

Follow what R@jesh said, just I'll like to add one thing. If you are connected to alcatel exchange then your username will be your tel no@a i.e if your tel no. is 25555555 the user name is 25555555@a. For Ericsson it is your tel no.

@R@jesh I have already done those settings. Need I do anything for the IP's and DNS servers and all? Will post the screenshot soon so that you will know what all is done

@pr0ing I can access the router without any issues on my computer as well as wirelessly through my ipod touch. So i guess the firmware issue is out of question.

@bigbyte Thanks :) The mtnl guy gave me my username and also confirmed the CA no. from the bill

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.jpg
    Screenshot_1.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 659
  • Screenshot_2.jpg
    Screenshot_2.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 547
Just to be clear you only need to do 2 things

1.run the modem in bridge mode

2.Change connection type to PPOE

The settings you've done are all that's required. Assuming you've got the correct VCI/VPI and multiplexing settings. Like pr0ing suggested, you should go ahead and upgrade the firmware on your device if it isn't already the latest. Some older revisions of the firmware for this particular model were known to be troublesome. So even though you may have the correct settings for your connection, it still wouldn't connect. After upgrading the firmware, reset the device by holding down the reset button for 30 seconds, and then reconfigure it. Everything should be fine. Oh, and don't leave the channel at auto. Set it to a fixed channel. Try different channels and stick to whichever gives you the best combination of speed and range.

@dinjo How can you set both bridged as well as pppoe? In the pop-down menu you gotta select one :/

@Edrill

The firmware is latest. Even then I will flash it and try again.

Edrill said:
Oh, and don't leave the channel at auto. Set it to a fixed channel. Try different channels and stick to whichever gives you the best combination of speed and range.

What do you mean by channnel? The DSL modulation type?

Sorry, the channel bit was for the wireless settings.

As far as the modulation goes, set it to MultiMode and reboot the device.

vinayakbendale said:
Can anyone post the screenshot of the router setting page if you are using Cisco modem router? Need the settings ASAP!

[attachment=8832:15343.attach]

Just use these settings!! I hav had the router for many yrs now!! Everything works gr88 for me!! I am on Linksys WAG54G2!

Attachments

• Capture_038.jpg
    Capture_038.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 567
  • Capture_039.jpg
    Capture_039.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 506
Back