MTNL Broadband - Painfully slow browsing in Windows XP

Shakensoul

Skilled
I am on MTNL broadband Delhi. I recently reinstalled Windows XP in my laptop from Windows 7. Since then internet browsing on the laptop has become extremely slow while torrents are working fine. On the same router, I have my desktop connected which in on Windows 7 and browsing is fine.

I am suing the same DNS Servers on both systems

Primary DNS - 59.179.243.70
Secondary DNS - 203.94.243.70

I have even tried Opens DNS and Google DNS, its still slow. What could be wrong?

Could it be that your freshly installed Win XP or other freshly installed software are silently downloading updates in the background.

That won't account for torrents, but then I really don't know how Windows allocates/prioritizes bandwidth.

how are u connected to the router? wifi or wired? Does the lappy have a firewall? if yes, does it have cookie management or cookie control or any features that monitors browsing, then u should turn that off.

What ISP plan do ya have.. ??

How much speed do you actually get ??

SpeedTest.net results ??

ISP provided Hardware details ??

hellfire said:
Could it be that your freshly installed Win XP or other freshly installed software are silently downloading updates in the background.

That won't account for torrents, but then I really don't know how Windows allocates/prioritizes bandwidth.

I have turned off automatic updates, no programs installed apart from office and a few other applications. I don't think there is any program downloading any updates in the background, the pages simply refuses to open.
vishalk said:
how are u connected to the router? wifi or wired? Does the lappy have a firewall? if yes, does it have cookie management or cookie control or any features that monitors browsing, then u should turn that off.

I have tried both wired and wireless, no difference. Primarily it connected directly to modem through cable. Checked with windows firewall on and off, still no difference. How do I check for cookie management ?
dexBG said:
What ISP plan do ya have.. ??

How much speed do you actually get ??

SpeedTest.net results ??

ISP provided Hardware details ??

MTNL Delhi 512 plan, pages are not opening with both Firefox and IE, I am not concerned about speed atm.

Reinstalled drivers for ethernet, cleared dns cache, still problem persists :mad:

Back