MSG makes things taste different

6pack

ex-Mod
I don't know how many of you people watch Uncle Roger on youtube but he's a big fan of MSG and regularly puts around a spoon full of it into his mouth directly. I bought an original pricy packet of Ajinomoto MSG from Amazon to see if it really Makes Shit Good!
So apparently it's made from sugarcane juice and tapioca powder. 100% vegetarian. Each crystal looks like some chemical salt and I took a pinch of it directly into my mouth. It tastes like very light sugar and salt combined in one crystal. You still need to use salt in food because this is not salty. It seems to sort of replace some overpowering tastes and brings it down.

Does it really make food taste better or enhance flavour? Here I find the claim subjective wrt Indian food. I tried it in Dal, on green chilli pickles, on raw tamarind fruit (imli), and raw finely chopped onion with red chilli and salt as spice and every time the result is different.
Dal tastes sweet. Not overpowering sweet but like a little bit of sugar was added to it.
Green chilli pickles tastes like the chilli heat was removed a lot and you can smell the green chilli.
raw imli (the dark brown one) tastes like all the sourness was removed from it. It tastes like something sweet and salty.
Raw onion and red chilli and salt - no red chilli taste. Raw onions taste got watered down. Couldn't taste the salt.

I'll try it on a lot more food and spices directly. But this is just my opinion. I don't think this msg has much use in Indian cooking since it alters the taste of food so drastically. Maybe my taste buds are dead and I'm getting wrong taste.
So just take this post as is - with a grain of salt. I think everyone should get a small packet of this substance and try it at home. You know, just for the heck of it. Maybe it is useful in some scenario where kids complain about too much spice in food and adults complain about too less spice in food and you could add a little msg in kids food so they cant taste the spice. :D

I can taste MSG even if a pinch is added, and I loved it. I always put a pinch on my fried egg. It makes everything tasty, from fried fish, potatoes, meat, cabbage, and so on. It is also included a lot in KFC especially in the Chicken popcorn.

I can taste MSG even if a pinch is added, and I loved it. I always put a pinch on my fried egg. It makes everything tasty, from fried fish, potatoes, meat, cabbage, and so on. It is also included a lot in KFC especially in the Chicken popcorn.
Thing is I cant taste it properly. I can only think of it like nuking the food with a subtle sugar flavour. How does is taste for you? Like salty or sugary or something else? There must be some taste profile of it to make you know it's been added to food, right?

How does is taste for you?
I understand how it can be considered salty and sugary when eaten alone and it is, but the actual dish when adding msg does not have that taste (since it is put in a very low amount). It is hard to describe, we have it in our language the name of the taste, it is the same way on how we describe beef soup, pork soup or prawns when they are boiled raw with salt. "More - flavoury" is the best way on how I can describe on what msg does, the flavour of the dish lingers in the mouth.

I understand how it can be considered salty and sugary when eaten alone and it is, but the actual dish when adding msg does not have that taste (since it is put in a very low amount). It is hard to describe, we have it in our language the name of the taste, it is the same way on how we describe beef soup, pork soup or prawns when they are boiled raw with salt. "More - flavoury" is the best way on how I can describe on what msg does, the flavour of the dish lingers in the mouth.
How much did you add, maybe he is adding too much.

How much did you add, maybe he is adding too much.
Just a pinch when making eggs. Which will be a tad less than salt.
So @6pack why dont you try with eggs? Fry one with salt only first, then another one with salt + mgs. Msg amount will be generally less than that of the salt, but it depends on your taste and you can add more.

More - flavoury = it's the umami flavour profile you're describing. It's a whole new profile like we describe sweet. Salty, bitter etc. But then again, if asked to describe, even I would be at a loss for words. A magic dust to create magic on an otherwise normal dish.

I saw a documentary long ago that msg ill effects are fake news, mostly.

If you're a vegetarian eat mushroom dishes with less spices they have natural MSG and have the umami taste.

It is for Chinese food. Not Indian. It used to be extensively used in Chinese cuisine, then a smear campaign halted usage. Now it is seeing a resurgence. It is like the "haldi" (sans color) of Chinese food. Add it everywhere. Primary reason why a chowmein tastes wow in a hotel vs bland at home. Indian traditional spices will overshadow MSG, so no use adding it. Noodles and rice are complimented well with MSG.

Indian way is to use heeng. I can't imagine pickles without it.
Green chilli pickles tastes like the chilli heat was removed a lot and you can smell the green chilli.
Maybe it is useful in some scenario where kids complain about too much spice in food and adults complain about too less spice in food and you could add a little msg in kids food so they cant taste the spice. :D
I'm with the kids. Just amazed it can take away the hot taste. I don't mind hot but I find it's frequently overdone or I'm just not able to handle the average level of heat here.

Don't suppose it can be sprinkled on after cooking? That would be killer

Last edited:
Don't suppose it can be sprinkled on after cooking? That would be killer
yup, i tried on green chilli pickles and it neutralized the hotness instantly. I think it coats the tongue a bit and everything you eat seems flat in taste. I tried it on fried moong dal (Haldirams) and it removed the saltiness a lot. Really weird crystal imo.
6pack, seems to be addicted to MSG but I would say in a +ve way.
Ha ha. I found it fascinating that it can change taste. Just trying it on everything. I like to do such research if i get something new in my hands.

But then why everyone says, it's bad and no msg. I will wonder if this is reason for change in taste of Maggi masala.

Maggi was tasty before that ban and all the fiasco.

Back