Linux Moving to linux : Need Help

LifezGooD

Adept
Hi Guys ,

My Windows RC is about to expire and I plan to move to Linux next week. I have few queries before i make a plunge. I have never tried linux, never ever .. its was a bit scary and I kinda still have a phobia about that.
I Mainly use my PC for surfing, torrent, movies, gaming, MS office stuff, and C# and Asp.net programming. I know that we can use windows applications using WINE iirc. I would like to know which distribution would be best for me and what other information do I need to know and I should learn before I make the move.
1 have a 320 GB hardrive with 2 partitions 50 (os partition ) and 270 GB (data dump).I have my utorrent, mozilla settings, game settings, save data and preferences in document and settings. Is there a way to use them again with WINE or any other package. I'll be getting a new drive soon to mess around but keep my data safe.
Another concern is to find the latest drivers for all the harware that i have namely my graphics card and onboard sound.
So if possible can you guys please help me ?

I would recommend Ubuntu , it has the largest user base among Linux distros and you are likely to get help on your queries quickly .

Heres a Ubuntu pocket guide that gives you a brush up of all the basics you need to know before you start.Simple explanation and beautifully written ,in pdf format .

For installation guides there are numerous guides and blogs for each version of Ubuntu .

Download Link

LifezGooD said:
Hi Guys ,

My Windows RC is about to expire and I plan to move to Linux next week. I have few queries before i make a plunge. I have never tried linux, never ever .. its was a bit scary and I kinda still have a phobia about that.

Linux is completely different from windows, you might have some trouble getting used to 'new ways of doing old things'. once you get used to it, it would be best os for you:hap2:

I Mainly use my PC for surfing, torrent, movies, gaming, MS office stuff, and C# and Asp.net programming. I know that we can use windows applications using WINE iirc. I would like to know which distribution would be best for me and what other information do I need to know and I should learn before I make the move.

1) from mentioned tasks, you can do torrents & movies without any problems.

2) In Linux there has a free alternative called OpenOffice, which has all the functions of commercial MS office. I would recommend you to switch to that. you can also run MS office in wine but the experience is not that great.

3) C# & ASP.net are microsoft products hence are only available for windows platform. however there is Mono Project which promises to port these into Linux.

Perhaps a better idea would running WindowsXP inside Linux using Virtualization(hint:virtualbox)

4) Lastly, For Gaming you should stick to windows. Linux is not for Gaming:p

For Distro, Try

Distro Chooser

I personnally would suggest Linux Mint - main edition or OpenSuse KDE edition. any one of them

1 have a 320 GB hardrive with 2 partitions 50 (os partition ) and 270 GB (data dump).I have my utorrent, mozilla settings, game settings, save data and preferences in document and settings. Is there a way to use them again with WINE or any other package. I'll be getting a new drive soon to mess around but keep my data safe.

1) Yes, its possible but only if with the program is cross-platform like firefox. which is available for Windows and as well as Linux.

2) all for data Photos,Videos,Documents can be migrated and read under Linux without any problems.

Another concern is to find the latest drivers for all the harware that i have namely my graphics card and onboard sound.

It would be good idea if you can list your hardware configuration so that we can tell you if your hardware is supported on linux or not.

So if possible can you guys please help me ?

Linux is all about Community support. Learn and Share:eek:hyeah:

Hope it helps

Helpfull Links:

OpenSuse - How to migrate from Windows

Hardware

Linux Core Concepts

Gaurish said:
4) Lastly, For Gaming you should stick to windows. Linux is not for Gaming:p
Gaurish, What I meant is , I have saved games and related data with me. Is it posibble to use them with WINE or similer app.
If this query can be resolved them its worth trying else i'll have to get a netbook to begin with my linux fixation

why not dual boot ?
The new grub boot menu is great you even get to wallpaper it .
My windows installation takes a solid 10-15 minutes to boot up while my Linux with all the eye candy just takes 2-3 minutes .Vanilla version used to boot in 20 seconds flat. So i have migrated 90% of my tasks to linux .
And whats more in case your windows decides to crash you can recover all your files including those in your windows desktop from your Linux.

LifezGooD said:
Gaurish, What I meant is , I have saved games and related data with me. Is it posibble to use them with WINE or similer app.
If this query can be resolved them its worth trying else i'll have to get a netbook to begin with my linux fixation

not all applications and games run on Wine. all the performance is not good. So If you want to run windows apps, better run them on windows.

this site tracks which application runs on wine and how well

WineHQ - Wine Application Database

^Thanks for the help guys !! I'm waiting for a new HD. will try the versions on virtual box and see where it goes from there.

Thanks for the link Gaurish

Since gaurish has already answered all of your question but still if you have few doubts go through this http://www.techenclave.com/guides-and-tutorials/things-to-know-before-using-linux-117029.html , if you need some customization guide go through the old customization guide I wrote, even though its pretty old the basics remains the same with many new things to lay your hands on http://www.techenclave.com/guides-and-tutorials/ubuntu-customization-guide-v2-101601.html

For any queries feel free to ask here :)

Collect some money spend and get yourself a legitimate copy of windows. If you can spend large sums on getting the best hardware spend some more so that you could use the hardware to the full potential.

PS :I am not bashing Linux users I myself have Linux Mint installed. But, Linux is far from being a primary OS.

So your telling me your totally satisfied with Linux ? As in you do what every you want and not once have you ever wished only if I was on Windows I could have that app if so you are lucky.

Also as you can see the OP wants to game what is the point of running Linux then use Virtual Box to run a copy of Windows. Just buy a copy of Windows. Windows 7 will stick around for the next 3 Years, atleast. So for 3 years you will be covered.

Not to hurt anybody's sentiments but Windows Applications have much more finesse over their Linux counterparts. Then again this is my observation.

[quote name='H2O']Collect some money spend and get yourself a legitimate copy of windows. If you can spend large sums on getting the best hardware spend some more so that you could use the hardware to the full potential.

QUOTE]

Its not the matter of spending money. Since I've been spending on legit games for the past 3 years I can get a legit OS. MY main aim was to check if things can be done the linux way as that alongwith the OC are two things on which i haven't tried my hands yet.

^^Don't worry about him or others blabbering about windows. There are always people who suggest you what is not right but it is who you decide what is right and wrong. For instance a smoker tires to quit smoking, he try to hard for it, his family do support him but when he hangs along with his friends (enemy should say) they will force him to have a smoke or 2, so its only the will power that pushes you.

Windows no doubt is easy since we are way to much adept with it from the beginning thanks to the bloated education system and what not ! But when it comes to linux there is so much to learn and discover, you will find a new in you once you lay a hand on linux. The best part is the ability to discovery and fix things :D

Whatever said and done if someone if trying to do please do not interfere until and unless its is fairly wrong :p

Dark Star said:
^^Don't worry about him or others blabbering about windows. There are always people who suggest you what is not right but it is who you decide what is right and wrong. For instance a smoker tires to quit smoking, he try to hard for it, his family do support him but when he hangs along with his friends (enemy should say) they will force him to have a smoke or 2, so its only the will power that pushes you.

Windows no doubt is easy since we are way to much adept with it from the beginning thanks to the bloated education system and what not ! But when it comes to linux there is so much to learn and discover, you will find a new in you once you lay a hand on linux. The best part is the ability to discovery and fix things :D

Whatever said and done if someone if trying to do please do not interfere until and unless its is fairly wrong :p

Woah...This is kind of offending...

First things first I am not blabbering away, many TE gurus would agree with me over here for saying that Linux has not evolved enough to be used as a primary OS. Just because you have the time to figure out everything it doesn't mean everybody does.

H2O said:

First things first I am not blabbering away, many TE gurus would agree with me over here for saying that Linux has not evolved enough to be used as a primary OS. Just because you have the time to figure out everything it doesn't mean everybody does.

you are mistaken my friend,

I am have been Linux as my primary OS from past 2years. I have noted the following benefits

* A secure system where viruses and spyware are not a problem. you can do financial transactions without any tension of something stealing your credit card info:p

* A very stable system - I run my PC 24x7. even after running for weeks, it does not feel sluggish. also it does not have to be rebooted after applying updates. a rock solid system.

* Has 3D desktop effects and other bling-bling which is not present in other OS.Evecandy

* Development is fast. You don't have to wait 5-6 years for a new version. New versions are released every 6-8 months.

* Its all free, no need to spend on OS License + Office Suite License + Antivirus/Security Software licenses

however, if you are into Desktop Publishing or Gaming. it may not be a great option for you butt your statement linux is not evolved as primary os is very wrong and pure FUD.

PS: I don't have any intention of participating in a flame war, hence please don't

H2O said:

I had no intention to start a war nor to offend you. Sorry if I did. But the thing that is not acceptable is unnecessary interference, if the OP has set his mind to make a shift then let him whats cribbing you ? He can sure make the transition back to Windows if he is unsatisfied isn't it ? No one is forcing him to stick to Linux or Mac, it was his decision to choose. So if he has chosen to opt/give linux a try then let it be. Don't just jump to any thread with your windows suggestions.Just respect what OP is trying to do if you don't like it the be it, but don't force your recommendation to someones throat. Even I use windows for my college projects and many application, does that mean I don't use Windows or hate it ? Its just that I use Linux more than windows.

If you can not be a part of the solution then just see it getting solved.

Edit : I am member first and then a Mod here, so I would have said the same if I were a member, sorry again if I had hurt your feeling.

Back