Motorola modem compatibility issue.

Fakepunk

Disciple
Well I've got a generic softmodem with motorola sm56 chipset and a A8N SLI Dx mobo and although the modem gets installed I still can't go online using it as it starts making strange sounds as soon as dial up is initiated.
What I'm particularly interested in knowing is, whether any other A8N users are using the modem succesfully.

Another one of my old Motorola Mcgenerics had taken out the PCI ports and the Marvell LAN on my previous A8N SLI, it was apparently passing current or something like that. So it must have fried some chip on the mobo.

I have already downloaded the latest drivers and tried it on different windows installation. Nothing works.

I need helpage, India.

1.The Motorola sM56 has been associated to not work optimally with the following hardware:
AMD K6, 233 MHz, 256K L2 cache
· Cyrix MII, 266MHz, 256K L2 cache
· Cyrix MediaGX
· Cyrix MediaGXM
· Cyrix 6x86

2.while looking for drivers,its not the chip that you shoud be looking at its the writing on the side of the card ,find the numbers and letters that go down the side or bottom or the acual cercuit board it self that should give you the board number, then search google for that name, from the search results, find the associated driver.

3.Typically, there are two methods for interfacing the SM56 Data/Fax/TAM/Speakerphone modem to a sound card:
· Internal speaker/microphone TAPI connector/header
· Microphone and Speaker jacks mounted on the modem board
if ur going for the first option,make sure to consult your sound card documentation for pin-signal details.Different sound card connector pinouts may be different, in which case the audio cable will need to have cross-over wires to match the pin signals. source (PS:I suggest ,you go thru this manual asap.it even has a section for lots of common troubleshooting ,assocaited with your modem.)
4.Regarding the noise...heres what the Motorola sM56 -Quick Start User's Guidehad to say
You hear feedback (noise) from the PC sound system
1. Position the speakers at least three feet (1 M) away from the microphone.
2. Ensure that the speakers are facing away from the microphone
3. Turn down the speaker volume
4. Speak into the microphone at a distance of at least 12 inches (30 cm) from your mouth.Minimize background noise
5.5. If there is still feedback, turn off the microphone boost, under the volume control panel

5.It seems the sm56 once installed,cannot be upgraded,and that u need to install the 2in 2k driver on xp.also try the following:
Go to control panel > system > device manager
> view devices by type > system devices
under that you should find "pci bus", double click on it, go to settings and choose
"use bios"
then go to irq steering and make sure to set it all like this:

(checked) use irq steering
(unchecked) get irq table using acpi bios
(checked) get irq table using ms specification table
(unchecked) get irq table from protected mode pcibios 2.1 call
(checked) get irq table from real mode pcibios 2.1 call

do the same in device manager > view devices by connection > system devices > pci busthen click ok and restart your pc. sourcehttp://www.modemsite.com/56k/sm56.asp

Very thorough, very technical. Thanks nonetheless good Sir.

This particular modem doesn't have any audio jacks in it. And it gets detected either as a Data fax modem or a Speakerphone modem depending upon the drivers used. I've tried using a multitude of drivers using each after a complete uninstallation of the previous ones. Nothing works. the modem does get installed but creates severe stability issues while trying to connect.

The only thing I haven't tried is the irq thingy. Guess if it still doesn't work then I'll have to live with shifting comps everyday.

Thanks once again.

Back