Less than 10K Moto E 2nd Gen LTE Vs Redmi 2 Prime

iPwnz

Brutally Honest
Skilled
Hey guys i need some personal user experiences on this matter.
I was looking to buy the Redmi 2 Prime aka 2GB RAM variant mainly because of the VFM specs on paper like 2GB RAM, good display, 720p res, affordable price though i prefer stock android.
But thanks to @Sobirvs (I think?) who told me about the Moto E 2nd Gen Dual SIM variant i'm now even more confused than ever! >.< I actually wanted the Moto E but thought that it didn't come with a dualsim variant. Google result always threw out the single sim model page on GSM nor did i bother to confirm about the existence of the dualsim, that was the only reason why i tried to go for the Redmi 2. I'm not a fan of MIUI/Xiaomi.
What i need (priority order):
1. First and foremost a dual-sim
2. Battery life
3. RAM memory
4. Graphics
5. Camera quality be damned though it would be good to have. Duh!
6. Accessories and their availability.
Now i'm not someone who simply judge a phone based on the marketed specs alone. Level of marketing gimmicks is too high when it comes to tech products. Real world performance/usage tend to be different. I've also read tons of reviews of both the phones but they didn't give me the answer which i was looking for.
Anyway, the Moto E with 2390mah seem to have a longer battery life than the Redmi 2 Prime.
My next concern is about the memory. We all know that we dont get the exact numbers with our phones. 1GB RAM phones usually come with only 800-900MB RAM out of which barely 40-60% is free for the user. The first thing which i do when i hold a smartphone is check the actual memory available for use. Whats the actual RAM available for use on the Moto E and Redmi 2 Prime? How does the 1GB RAM handle the Moto E? How much would running multiple apps affect the performance on both the phones?
Next graphics, i mostly play old ROMs using emulators. But i also want to try out Asphalt 7/8 (i've always wanted to) and similar games though i wont play them much.
I like good photography but can do with decent quality camera. Old Moto E which my sister have is also good enough for me.
GOOD QUALITY accessories are also important. I dont want flimsy things.
I didn't mention the after-sales services because both Moto and Xiaomi seem to have similar below-average service quality (based on my research online).

Do not suggest any other phone. This will be my temporary phone (reason for looking a used Redmi 2 Prime in the WTB section) till i can get the Moto X Play Dual. Thank gawd i didn't buy the S4/1+1. I'm a sucker for Krait!

Last edited:
Got it today.. Redmi Prime is bulky when i compare it to my previous android A6000. There is nothing much to boast about.. except for the lag free MIUI.
I regret badly for losing my lenovo phone.
Great. how is the battery and is the heating problem there?
After weeks and weeks of debating with my other inner-self I've decided to go for the Moto E 4G and praying for Marshmallow update T_T
At one point i was like- screw this imma buy a 20k phone. XD

After weeks and weeks of debating with my other inner-self I've decided to go for the Moto E 4G and praying for Marshmallow update T_T
No heating problem. Could see temperature hitting 37D at use for even 3 continuous hours.

Currently facing this issue: http://en.miui.com/thread-162466-1-1.html
Started noticing from 1st day itself. Don't have patience to visit Service centers. I'll change my recommendation.. Better buy off Lenovo A6000+, Its better from my experience.

Always check out OTA update reviews on Lenovo forums, Incase you buy this brand.
I also use iOS8 apart from android, felt i was using the same using this Apple Clone company. Most intriguing thing about Mi phones are its still running 4.4.4 on MiUi7 :facepalm:

Yeah many enthusiast users are also complaining about that and asking why Xiaomi is still using kitkat. Kind of weird tbh. We are now in M. At the very least Lolipop should've been implemented on Miui 7.
And oh thanks for the reply. I'm not now confirmed for the Moto E 4G. Will immediately get it WHEN I CAN. Have the money in hand but something or the other with placing the order (while on offer) is messing up my plans.

edit: typo. damn t9.

Last edited:

IIRC, none of Moto E are going to get Android M.

Check out moto E 2nd gen on geb.for 4k at&t, which can be unlocked on at&t portal.
hmm...thanks but:
1. Refurb
2. 3G Model. I'm looking for the 4G variant
3. I'll need the warranty
4. Geb once sold me a scratched/cracked Pantech Burst when the originally claimed condition was "brand new, unused", it was usable. When a complaint was registered they offered to give 2k discount. Lol. Told them "no thanks" and promptly returned it back.

During the last great e-com sale one could get this phone for as low as 4600rs free shipping. I should've bought it when I had the chance. Arrgh! Waited for a sale on other phones which never came! Lol.

@iPwnz. to be frank with you, i never had issues with imported phones, from 5k to 50k, so why so hung up on warranty part ? And worst case scenario for a sub 4k phone. send i back to US via Worldnet express ( 500/-)
oh just paranoid is all. And i really hate return-shipping stuff. Especially when i'm impatient with using it. I hate waiting.
any chance for it to come back for sale again? IF its a guaranteed SEALED product then i'll be alright.
which can be unlocked on at&t portal.
and what about the unlocking part? I have no experience with this.
Wait is it the single-sim or dual-sim model? I need dual-sim.
http://geb.ebay.in/g/ImportHubViewItem?itemid=201417594844

warranty of just 1 yr can be neglected IMO. its not like companies are giving 3-5 yrs which would really matter.

Little OT, i fixed my sister's moto g 2nd gen on my own. Both authorised serviced center in Pune and 3rd party repair fellow had said it needs mobo replacement and warranty was denied claiming its physical damage.
It was bootloader issue actually which i found out after fixing.

So that shows what warranty is worth really!!

Btw make sure, usa phone will work on india's 4G frequencies and bands before buying.

Last edited:
warranty of just 1 yr can be neglected IMO. its not like companies are giving 3-5 yrs which would really matter.

Little OT, i fixed my sister's moto g 2nd gen on my own. Both authorised serviced center in Pune and 3rd party repair fellow had said it needs mobo replacement and warranty was denied claiming its physical damage.
It was bootloader issue actually which i found out after fixing.

So that shows what warranty is worth really!!

Btw make sure, usa phone will work on india's 4G frequencies and bands before buying.
Thanks for the warning. I've heard of how horrible Moto after-sales service is. Its true that these companies dont give a damn about it as long as they make money from sales.
And I probably am not going to use the 4G. I only wanted the version because of its upgraded chipset. :D
@iPwnz , you do know that the phone has mic issues right? Voices not being audible at the other end
No, i've never heard of this. But it sounds like an isolated incident to me. Else no one would be buying it/product wouldn't get so many positive reviews online. :S

Back