Monitor Resolution for Screen Recording.

EHH

Disciple
AMD and NVIDIA GPUs comes with recording software/utility/facility.

Do they record the desktop screen itself or the signal/data which is being sent to the monitor (in which case monitor resolution doesn't matter) ?

If I want to record in 2K resolution, do I need a 2K monitor ?

If yes, what size ?

2K 32 inch pixel density = FHD 24 inch pixel density, so screen recording on 2K 32 inch will give results similar to FHD 24 inch.

How to record true 2k or for that matter 4k ?

Do they record the desktop screen itself or the signal/data which is being sent to the monitor (in which case monitor resolution doesn't matter) ?

If yes, what size ?

2K 32 inch pixel density = FHD 24 inch pixel density, so screen recording on 2K 32 inch will give results similar to FHD 24 inch.

do it via obs. if you want to have a clip then AMD is the best in that case. I do it on both and I know it via hands on experience. for long recording, nothing better than obs.

I've tried OBS Studio with an Nvidia GPU and it captures the signal/data.

Not necessarily. If you want to properly see what you're recording, the desktop resolution would need to be at least 2K, but that resolution can also be displayed windowed or fullscreen on a 4K monitor, or even on a FHD/other monitor, if it supports adding relevant custom resolutions (for example, 2560x1440 or 3840x2160 etc. may be possible to add as a custom desktop resolution via the Nvidia Control Panel). Depending upon the type of content, the non-native output may look good or bad on the monitor, but the recorded footage wouldn't be adversely affected.

If yes, what size ?

Physical size and pixel density are not relevant at all. As long as whatever you're capturing is rendering at exactly 2K or 4K, and your capture settings are set to the same, the recording will be true 2K or 4K. Beyond resolution, your quality settings in the capture software (codec, bit rate, etc.) will determine the overall quality and file size.

Back