Modem + Router for Fivenet (South Mumbai)

dinu_dr

Disciple
I just moved to Parel, and have subscribed to fivenet. They have provided me with a LAN cable which I plug into the laptop, and dial to connect to the net. I wanted a wifi router for this and they said I should buy a DSL router + modem. I surfed the net and found that they both basically mean the same and bought the iball baton, but it has an RJ 11 for input (phone line wire), and I cannot put in the cable.
I called them again, and they said I should buy DSL and not ADSL router..suggested Belkin (no model number, but said it would cost around 2k). I cannot find any such modem router on Flipkart with a RJ45 input (I think this is needed for LAN cable?). Please help.

You do not need a modem, just a router, you can go for basic belkin N150 router, costing between 1k to 1.2k or you can research on google.

Since you are using Fivenet, advice to go for the cheapest Gigabit router if and only if you will use DC++ regularly. Else, go for ASUS N10 router. Belkin is not bad, but has range issues with several models.

hi
I want to get a fivenet connection with dc++. the fivenet guy told me to get a dsl modem, not adsl. I won't be using WiFi, so suggest me the cheapest one

hi
I want to get a fivenet connection with dc++. the fivenet guy told me to get a dsl modem, not adsl. I won't be using WiFi, so suggest me the cheapest one

They provide LAN cable which you can directly plug into the laptop / PC & Fivenet guy will help you with the DC++ too, just learn the settings for future use.

And the cable for internet and dc++ are same? Or they use 2 cables, one for dc++ and other for internet?

They must have thought you wanted wi-fi or something, anyways you need not buy anything and there is nothing separate for DC++

All you need is to share 10GB of data to enter DC & share 100GB to download.

@fivenet users,
just out of curiosity, what additional charges are they applying for dc++? here in navi mumbai, last i heard, its an extra 100/150 per month.​

@fivenet users,
just out of curiosity, what additional charges are they applying for dc++? here in navi mumbai, last i heard, its an extra 100/150 per month.​

They have divided the connection into two
1. Fivenet (They claim to have 1k DC++ users)
2. i-On (With 100 DC++ users)

Charges:
1. Fivenet (Rs 800 for 1 Mbps unlimited for 30 days)
2. i-On (Rs 600 for 1 Mbps unlimited for 30 days)

I am on i-On 1 Mbps unlimited plan and DC++ users are good in numbers. I don't need to download anything using torrents now. All is available at 1 -10 Mbps speed via DC++.

So they are actually charging Rs 200 more for Fivenet DC++ users, rest all is same.

I do not understand why they are charging extra, people go for fivenet because of DC++ (this is what fivenet guy told me) now why extra, I only download 10% from DC & rest from Private Paid sites & torrents.

Its like taking a bus or train for travelling & paying extra for getting seat, believe me, this will also happen in India, one day people have to pay tax for breathing too.

They have divided the connection into two
1. Fivenet (They claim to have 1k DC++ users)
2. i-On (With 100 DC++ users)

Charges:
1. Fivenet (Rs 800 for 1 Mbps unlimited for 30 days)
2. i-On (Rs 600 for 1 Mbps unlimited for 30 days)

I am on i-On 1 Mbps unlimited plan and DC++ users are good in numbers. I don't need to download anything using torrents now. All is available at 1 -10 Mbps speed via DC++.

So they are actually charging Rs 200 more for Fivenet DC++ users, rest all is same.

so people who dont want to use fivenet DC++ will be on i-On and will still get to share their stuff on LAN with the 100 users? correct me if im wrong.

Back