Mobile Phone for 12k-14k

Hi Fellas,

Looking to gift my dad a new phone, Currently he is using Nokia E-5. Been almost 2 years & he has no complains with the same, However, i would like to upgrade his handset. He has been using Nokia for 8 years now and has never used a touchscreen. So, by the way it looks he is not comfortable with touch (thinks its very difficult to operate while driving and most of the times required use of both hands.).

However, my thought process says once he starts using touch, he will get used to it.

Questions:-
1. Q: Budget?
A: 12k-14k

2. Q: Preferred Form Factor(flip, bar, slider)?
A: Bar

3. Q: Preferred display type?
A: Any

4. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.

5. Q: Preferred input method (Touchscreen, QWERTY, etc.)?
A: Touchscreen / QWERTY

6. Q: Camera required or not? If required, please specify type like front camera/flash/etc.
A: Required a 5MP camera. Flash. Camera quality is a major deciding factor

7. Q: Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).

8. Q: Preferred connectivity options? (3G, Wifi, Edge etc).
A: 3G.

9. Q: What is your intended use for this phone(internet, camera, multimedia, mails, etc)?
A: Camera, mails and internet.

10. Q: Any other requirements?
A: Don't require dual sim/require dual sim/etc.

11. Q: If you have already considered a phone then please mention the model.
None as of now

P.S. - Major use will be for Email, Taking photographs & business activities etc.

Try an imported gsm unlocked phone.. You can get a good camera and great feature phone.. The only problem will be warranty..

You obviously missed this --
Unlocking Your Phone Is Illegal Starting Tomorrow / Copyright Law Strikes Again: Unlocking Your Cell Phone Now Illegal in US / Petition: Starting 1/26/2013 Unlocking Your Phone Will Be Illegal - xda-developers.

Unless OP gets the handset from some other non-US source he won't be able to get an unlocked piece, except if he takes express permission from the carrier. Which again can deny permission at its own discretion.

You could see if a Dell Venue Pro is available. Although WP7.5-->7.8, it should ensure that there is both touch and type if ever needed.

Frankly, get a rugged phone like the Defy. Unless your dad is super careful with his nokia, a rugged phone would be better.

Thanks for the inputs.

1. Nokia 620 can be considered. One question, how is Andriod versus WP phones. I have used none (on BB currently). He likes to use apps.

2. Xperia always gave me a feel of music & looks. Never a business phone look / feature/ Please correct me if i am wrong

3. How about Micromax canvas HD. ?

4. Dell Venue Pro looks promising, but it is almost 2.5 years old now. How much will i get this for ?

Thanks for the inputs.

1. Nokia 620 can be considered. One question, how is Andriod versus WP phones. I have used none (on BB currently). He likes to use apps.

2. Xperia always gave me a feel of music & looks. Never a business phone look / feature/ Please correct me if i am wrong

3. How about Micromax canvas HD. ?

4. Dell Venue Pro looks promising, but it is almost 2.5 years old now. How much will i get this for ?

Your answers in the same order --
  • I feel that as an end user who will foray the first time into touch Windows Phone offers the best balance between intuitiveness and feature rich experience.
  • The SONY XPERIA series of phones are going through a reorganisation as SONY bought out Ericsson's shares and is shaping up the phones independently. Currently the all the phones offered by SONY in your price range lack certain overheads. The Sola will not get a bump to Jelly Bean, the go is definitely not a looker and the U lacks storage space.
  • Avoid the MicroMax and other Chinese knock-off's because you will officially end up regretting it. Also the SoC used in archaic Cortex A7, most hTC, SONY, SAMSUNG and NOKIA handsets utilize dual-core Cortex A9 SoC based solutions which are more power efficient and will last longer.
  • No idea where you can get the DeLL Venue Pro but I would say avoid it, Windows Phone 8 is out and as we go forward the keypad is going to be replaced completely by some form of touch best to start learning now.

Frankly, get a rugged phone like the Defy. Unless your dad is super careful with his nokia, a rugged phone would be better.

I think the Lumia's are consistently better in build quality than most Android handsets and I don't mean just the low-end. Even the top-end devices from NOKIA and hTC (Windows Phone based) can give a good account against SAMSUNG, LG and SONY's Android offerings.

@ALPHA17 i dont think A7 is archaic and AFAIK A7 are more efficient than A9.

Ummm... Nishu, the Mediatek SoC's that are at the heart of the cheaper handsets in the market are based on the 45nm fabrication node, while the NOKIA and hTC Windows Phone based handsets have the newer Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Krait's which are based on the 28nm fabrication node.

So unless the A7 design is not shrunk and implemented the performance-efficiency factor stands moot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Avoid Micromax and all of them, the build quality is pathetic.

Apps, Apple>Android>>>>>>WP/BB

Wait for 620, but if time is not in your favour, rugged phone is a must. Or a phone with a good cover --> eg. Pantech Burst with Incipio case.

I would recommend you to go for Samsung Galaxy S Duos S7562, it has got really nice features within your budget:
Check out for best buy of Samsung Galaxy S Duos S7562 within Rs. 12,900/-

I owned the S7562 and over time it became extremely laggy and slow (I am guessing it's mainly because of the single core processor and the Samsung interface software). So much so that I dumped it and picked up a Micromax A110 which is a good buy if you don't mind it being a tad large for the hands.

I would recommend you to go for Samsung Galaxy S Duos S7562, it has got really nice features within your budget:

Android v4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) OS
5 MP Primary Camera
0.3 MP Secondary Camera
Dual SIM (GSM + GSM)
4-inch TFT Capacitive Touchscreen
1 GHz Cortex-A5 Processor
FM Radio
Wi-Fi Enabled
Expandable Storage Capacity of 32 GB

Check out for best buy of Samsung Galaxy S Duos S7562 within Rs. 12,900/-

Hi,
I am very confused in buying a mobile but this post gives me a clear idea..I think this mobile would satisfy my expectation and it holds excellent specs and features. But i have a doubt that how many hours would the battery hold charge?? Is there any need to charge often??

Hi,
I am very confused in buying a mobile but this post gives me a clear idea..I think this mobile would satisfy my expectation and it holds excellent specs and features. But i have a doubt that how many hours would the battery hold charge?? Is there any need to charge often??
It depends on your usage. you could expect a day's worth of standby with 3 hours of screen-on time. That is pretty decent. ALPHA17 has mentioned another phone which I, somehow contradicting him(with all due respect to him), think you should take into consideration. You can get the Xperia Sola ~13.5k(with Sony India Warranty). It fulfills most of your requirements. It has ample processing power, decent display and camera and simply beats the Galaxy S Duos in day to day tasks and thus the end user experience will definitely be more pleasant. Since your dad is the end user, I doubt that he'd be concerned about his phone running the latest version of Android. I would, therefore, suggest you a Sony Xperia Sola over the Samsung Galaxy S Duos.
Just my $0.02

Avoid Micromax and all of them, the build quality is pathetic.

Apps, Apple>Android>>>>>>WP/BB

Wait for 620, but if time is not in your favour, rugged phone is a must. Or a phone with a good cover --> eg. Pantech Burst with Incipio case.
I don't agree. Lately, Micromax has been jutting out phone with pretty decent build quality. I find absolutely no creaking with a MMX A89 which is a ~6k phone. So, a phone like the A110 or newly released A116 should have at least equivalent, if not better, build quality

Back