Camera Mid Range DSLR Camera under 50k

shadow2get

Recruit
I am posting this behalf of my friend.

My friend is planning to get a DSLR camera from US through a friend coming shortly to India. Following are his requirements, queries and any information you need.

1. He has a budget of 40k - 50k. He's interested in a mid-range DSLR camera.
2. He's has been using a Point & Click camera for around 3-4 years now & is planning to go to the next level.
3. He's into photography of Flowers mainly and nature. Apart from this the usual snaps of family, friends and functions and trips.
4. He's planning to join photography classes shortly wrt better operation of the DSLR camera & photography in general. Do anyone know of the photography classes in Bangalore? Or are there any websites / links from which he can refer to?
5. What kind of Lenses would you recommend for his style of photography?
6. For the budget he has, which DSLR camera would you recommend? Also, will the accessories be part of the budget or it is additional expenses?

He was planning to get this from US: Nikon D5100DX. What do you think?
Buy.com - Nikon D5100 DX-format Digital SLR Body w/ 18-55mm VR Lens and 55-200mm VR Lens

Any feedback is welcome.

If he is into nikon then 5100 is the way to go but I prefer T3i or 600D over this, marginally better I would say coz of the canon lens advantage alone.

I would recommend Canon 550D with good lens kit like a 1.8f 50mm prime, canon 50-250 IS and the stock 18-55 IS, all this for around 45~48k inr. Should be cheaper in US.

Nikon has better flash system and the low light performance. things to consider. nikon shots are cleaner in high iso(even in lower iso's its slightly sharper)

canon is better in videos.

u can get a electronic extension tube from any of the good companies. but there are also inexpensive ones too :D and they work quiet well sans the electronic parts.

the best lens u can get as a starting would be 17-50mm f2.8

Sorry for the delay in replying. Was caught up in some personal work.

@m.khurana
Thanks for the link to Bangalore Photography Club. Will let my friend know about this workshop - "Basics of Photography Workshop - Bangalore" conducted by Toehold Travel & Photography to be held Nov 12 - 13, 2011.

Well it seems that most of you are recommending Nikon over Canon due to the advantages it gives:
* better flash system and the low light performance
* shots are cleaner in high iso(even in lower iso's its slightly sharper)

Just to get an overall picture of the suggestions you have made:

Cameras Suggestes (no specific order)
* Nikon 5100DX (2011 model)
* Nikon D90 (2008 model)
* Canon EOS 550D (2010 model)
* Canon EOS 600D (or Rebel T3i) (2011 model)

Lenses Suggested (appropriate for respective camera model)
* 17-50mm f2.8
* 50-250mm
* 18-55mm
* 18-105mm

Accessories that aid in Macro Photography
* Extension Tube - Cheaper
* Electronic Extension Tube - Costlier

This is a noobie question: What do the Lower & Higher focal values mean in the lenses?

Not to divert the thread, but for my knowledge: Why did you buy a DSLR? Which was your 1st (and your current one)? Why did you choose it? Any specific accessories you bought?

Get a cheap Canon body with a 18-200mm lens. If he has moved from a P&S, i am pretty sure he would not prefer to change lens for every 2nd photo.

If he's buying from the US, I'd recommend he take a look at the Pentax K-r +18-55 and 55-300 kit. Should be ~710$ from B&H. In body image stabilisation for all lenses, and class-leading 6fps shooting, and awesome high ISO performance.

Tons of cheap Pentax manual lenses available in India as well.

Back