Microsoft Communicator 2007

I have MS Communicator installed on my office system. Is there anyway I can chat with people outside my network? Poeple who dont have MOC on their systems.

devilinearth said:
I have MS Communicator installed on my office system. Is there anyway I can chat with people outside my network? Poeple who dont have MOC on their systems.

I don't think that is possible. I too use Microsoft Communicator on my office PC.

Is it like you want to chat with people on gtalk etc ?

You can use Communicator Web Access (Browser based - Allow Popus) if you don't have Communicator installed on a machine.

Both parties need to have MS Communicator accounts and should be on the same domain IIMNM.
https://im."domain".com (Domain - office domain).

Use pidgin, a multiprotocol client and configure your office OC, and then add all outside guys through yahoo,gtalk, etc.

You need to have Federation done with Yahoo, MSN and so on... GTalk is not supported I guess.. If federation is done you can chat with MSN and Yahoo friends.

However there is a per user license for federation.

it is very much possible. its not depend on how is your client look like or option it has....but mainly how is your OCS server infrastructure is designed. you need to have Edge server with Federation enabled for third party IM operators to communicate. you can not only chat with other IM but share data over encrypted channel, share desktop, make PC - PC - PSTN - VOIP calls. there is lot many things Office communicator can do. please do little google :)

avi_avadhut said:
it is very much possible. its not depend on how is your client look like or option it has....but mainly how is your OCS server infrastructure is designed. you need to have Edge server with Federation enabled for third party IM operators to communicate. you can not only chat with other IM but share data over encrypted channel, share desktop, make PC - PC - PSTN - VOIP calls. there is lot many things Office communicator can do. please do little google :)

I don't think he's looking for what communicator can do in general, but for his specific situation.

Thank you for the replies guys! Actually I can add people from other companies like HP etc and chat with them, as they are also having communicator on their systems. I was looking for an option using which I can chat with people who don't have MOC.

I know about Pidgin and all those softwares, but installing them will be info-sec violation. Anyways, Thank you all for the replies! :)

I finally found a solution for this. I can chat with people outside my office network who are having a Windows Live ID. This is awesome!

I will be using my company id and will be logged in using Microsoft Lync and the other person will be using a Windows Live ID and logged in using windows messenger.

Good find. Microsoft Lync is a new product & may not be configured well on server.

Enjoy till your admins discover this
<

Back