Meet Ouya, the $99 open Android Game Console

comp@ddict

Skilled
Apr 25, 2009
Manipal
about.me
1584die.jpg

OUYA, or should I say Oh Yeah! is a completely open game console based on the Android Operating System (which is open source, so to speak). When I say “open game console” I mean a 100% hackable one. Yep, Oh Yeah.. sorry OUYA is a completely hackable system open to you. No restrictions as such. This also means that you don’t void warranty by modifying the system or the OS. Yes, a dream come true for games and modders alike! And it comes with a mean configuration which seems in sync with the latest and greatest smartphones too. The OUYA game console connects to your TV, just like good ole days and gets you game on!

OUYA Game Console Specifications:

- nVidia Tegra 3 Quad-Core Processor
- 12 Core ULP GeForce GPU
- 1 GB RAM
- 8 GB internal storage
- Android 4.0
- 1080p HDMI TV Connector
- Connectivity: WiFi 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth 4.0, USB 2.0
- Wireless Controller (one unit bundled), dual-analog sticks
- Android 4.0 ICS Operating System

4rw9hl.jpg

Price Tag:
$99 (one controller bundled)

Launch Date:
March 2013

Complete Article Here

Params7

Skilled
Mar 18, 2005
Seriously. Why would you want to play mobile games on a tv? If you want emulators nothing better than a PC/laptop.

vantheman5211

Creator of fu*ktron
Skilled
Apr 29, 2010
the concept looks a bit dud.having used a couple of high end android tablets,they have hardly set any gaming alight in 10 inch screens for them to bake the same applications for a high end television.seemingly called a "gaming console" its main points being highlighted are that it is completely hackable and it is an open source.it also follows the wierd thought that developers will be all gaga over developing games for it just because it is "open source".the last thing you do want in games after being used to the awesomeness of the current generation is to take a step back and **** up the whole quality control aspect of it.anything gets called a "gaming console" this days.sigh!

comp@ddict

Skilled
Apr 25, 2009
Manipal
about.me
Well. I for one would actually love playing some of the games of Android on the TV. Especially with a controller and the game costing little over $3.

I won't really be looking for HD gaming there. The gameplay is what I seek.

---------- Post added at 10:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:38 AM ----------

^^ Last night when I wrote the article OUYA had $450,000 funded.

In the last 12 hours, OUYA has got $2 MILLION + funding.

I think I might just go ahead and order one too. $99 only!

hellgate

Adept
Feb 4, 2009
Bavdhan, Pune
It will sell only for the price point at which it is being offered $99.
Also the OS being Android you dont need to do any hardware hacking or dont need to buy extra hardware to run *ahem* games. Heck you dont even need to root it, just get hold of the apk and you are done. ;)

sharktale1212

Skilled
May 27, 2008
^If I remember correctly, Pebble watch is/was the most successful kickstarter project ever. Raised around $10mil on a requirement of $100k.

phoenix844884

The Analyst
Skilled
Apr 5, 2009
New Delhi/Chicago
Hardware that will be 1.5 years old by the time it releases, just to play games like Angry Birds, and maybe Shadowgun, that too AFTER March 2013? Nope, count me out. My 1 year old Xperia Play does a much better job at all that AND I can carry it with me wherever I go.
Just because some people are jumping onto the Android bandwagon now doesn't mean it's a good idea. All those people who pledges their money on this Kickstarter will repent later. Maybe, because it's Android after all, someone will hack it into running XBMC/HTPC software and this will be the cheap media streamer people have been waiting for. But even now there are cheaper products that do a much better job at that.

So, what is the point of an Android based 'console'?

EAGLE GANG

Disciple
Jul 12, 2012
Who the fck cares for a console when you have got Intel Core i7-3960X.I am really excited about it .Oh as for the console its just meh!

Metalspree

Skilled
Mar 1, 2006
Bangalore
IF i am not wrong these guys have raised $2 million is just 12 hours and do not know what to do with the money.

They were emailing all backers askin for ideas.

The best project i saw on kickstarter was pebble watch , which i missed .

comp@ddict

Skilled
Apr 25, 2009
Manipal
about.me
IF i am not wrong these guys have raised $2 million is just 12 hours and do not know what to do with the money.

They were emailing all backers askin for ideas.

The best project i saw on kickstarter was pebble watch , which i missed .

Give it a few days. They'll come up with something (what with soo many people giving suggestions. Somebody is bound to give a great one)

Params7

Skilled
Mar 18, 2005
Saturday Soapbox: The Trouble with Ouya • Opinions • PC • Eurogamer.net

Points I agree with -
-Android games are made for touchscreens, not controllers.
-Getting devs to make exclusive games when your system endorses homebrew/hacking.
-As of right now, they don't have a single exclusive.
- This survey - https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/ouyatop20 - Shows they are completely clueless or just scamming people.
Skyrim, CoD, BF3, League Of Legends on Oyea? Yeah how exactly? I don't think any major publishers will really give a crap about Ohyeah. There is no way in hell any of these games will be on it.

This platform is made just for mobile/android indie devs..but I don't see how even they will be that interested given that mobiles phones are outselling even current-gen consoles. By the time this will roll out, E3 for Ps4 and Xbox 3 will be hosted and then I don't think anybody will really care.

sudhanshu123

Adept
Mar 17, 2011
New Delhi
I feel almost violated after reading the "warm" welcome some guys have given to the idea of this console here at techenclave(pun intended),I for one am delighted by it.You guys have got it all wrong,by reading more articles about this console,it becomes clear that it is not only meant for playing the existing android games(which ,by the way,can't be played in their existing forms due to the res differences and the lack of knowledge regarding whether it will allow direct installation of apk's,it's dedicated game store is confirmed),but it is also meant for bringing indie games direct to our homes.It all depends on the dev support it gets,it seemingly has good indie support(majong and meteor),also if it really gets traction,then support from big studios is not far away.It has garnered so much dough on kickstarter,one should suppose that it will release.Also with so much money i read the CEO is looking into funding good first party games(i am excited,because i am sick of the rehash of the rehash games being released by the big studios currently,almost like they are petrified by the simple mentioning of "experimentation" or "Hard work").And also does any one have any idea about it playing games from any type of physical media?,i should only suppose so ,that with more complex games and big game sizes,the downloading of them will only be getting more tedious with the passage of time.When people should be spending less and less on the things they love due to better technologies,they are made to spend more and more for tedious 8-hour campaigns and purely lackluster multiplayer(sometimes even dysfunctional,and i am talking about the consoles).In this scenario i think it would be wise to embrace the ouya model,and make the whole process of development and publishing of games simpler and cheaper.

Reactions: 1 person

sudhanshu123

Adept
Mar 17, 2011
New Delhi
i also feel the same way about that survey param but i think the survey is only meant for the devs of the system to get an idea of what its audience actually wants,and yeah it is kind of ridiculous to include such games on that survey(ME3?really?)

Altair

Skilled
Nov 28, 2010
Chandigarh
That specs are in line with those found on a tablet. Most Android based tablets have an HDMI/MHL port anyway. Scrap the display, shove the hardware in a plastic box, bundle a cheap controller and you've the 'gaming console'.

And what of the titles? Angry Birds, Cut the Rope and the likes?

#notinterested
You really don't have any idea about android gaming or are you just saying/kidding/joking like that? :unsure: