Budget 10-15K May have to upgrade both my android and iphone... Any insights guys??

JMak

Yeah.. I am at it ;)
Adept
Right so as the sales will be coming soon at amzn and flipkart I thought of picking your brains about the upgrades....

I have been using an iPhone 7 256gb from past 2 years (or may be 3)..(it received its last ans final update just a few days back)

It has been serving me well as a work phone, no nonsense... But as its battery health is at 80 and the camera is acting a bit weired I think It's time to upgrade....
I don't need any fancy stuff in my iphone just solid battery if possible (not necessary as u use my phone for a few calls and to stream Spotify to my amp via BT), decent camera and all...
I don't wish to spend much tbh, which iphone should i go for which can last for another 3 years may be in terms of longevity and updates... Cheapest possible please...

Android :
So LG g8x thinq is my personal phone and I love the device...
Although its serving me well but I just night upgrade it with something similar.. A 1 or 2 year old flagship, used or new below 15k no matter what....

Thanks in advance.

For iPhone - look into which iPhone fits your budget, not like there are many options. The iPhone 13 is considered good as 14 is almost the same phone with very minor changes.

Android - Moto G73 is a good phone around 15k but it's not an upgrade over G8X hardware-wise. See how much Nothing Phone 1 & Moto Edge 40 will go for in the upcoming sale, can consider either but will be 25k at least.

For used phones, avoid any Exynos or S888/888+ or 8 Gen 1 phone (8 Gen 1+ is good but you will likely not find a used phone with that SoC under 20k). These are inefficient chips & people might be trying to sell off because of battery life of heating issues or both depending on phone model.

For iPhone - look into which iPhone fits your budget, not like there are many options. The iPhone 13 is considered good as 14 is almost the same phone with very minor changes.

Android - Moto G73 is a good phone around 15k but it's not an upgrade over G8X hardware-wise. See how much Nothing Phone 1 & Moto Edge 40 will go for in the upcoming sale, can consider either but will be 25k at least.

For used phones, avoid any Exynos or S888/888+ or 8 Gen 1 phone (8 Gen 1+ is good but you will likely not find a used phone with that SoC under 20k). These are inefficient chips & people might be trying to sell off because of battery life of heating issues or both depending on phone model.
Thanks for the suggestion mate
Ip13 is a good option but then again i dont wish to shell out that much amount at all as the usage is minimal just a few phone calls...
How about the 11, or may be 12 for that matter.

Thanks for the suggestion mate
Ip13 is a good option but then again i dont wish to shell out that much amount at all as the usage is minimal just a few phone calls...
I researched a bit on iPhones when a friend of mine was buying it, don't remember all the details but 13 was noticeably better and/or 11/12 were not cheap enough to be considered. Looking at specs, 11 has LCD & 64GB storage whereas 12 has 64GB storage as major cons. A fool will pay 50k+ for iPhone 12 64GB when iPhone 13 is 55k or lower on sales these days, one starting this weekend. My friend got iPhone 13 for 50k last Diwali, don't think it was again that cheap.

Anyways take you call on iPhone side, I'm not the right person for Apple side.

I researched a bit on iPhones when a friend of mine was buying it, don't remember all the details but 13 was noticeably better and/or 11/12 were not cheap enough to be considered. Looking at specs, 11 has LCD & 64GB storage whereas 12 has 64GB storage as major cons. A fool will pay 50k+ for iPhone 12 64GB when iPhone 13 is 55k or lower on sales these days, one starting this weekend. My friend got iPhone 13 for 50k last Diwali, don't think it was again that cheap.

Anyways take you call on iPhone side, I'm not the right person for Apple side.
Your research is on point. @OP I think there is Amazon Prime Sale coming, see if iPhone 13 has a price drop. For Android, I am buying Samsung M34 5G for a family member. A solid phone with solid overall specs, I think it will launch at 19k, and with a credit card discount it is coming to 17K. And every time I see the message "Pre-Book this phone to get a free charger", I just wanna burn the entire Apple HQ for bringing this trend of chargerless phones, but yeah you can get a free charger too (**** apple again for triggering my rage)

Your research is on point. @OP I think there is Amazon Prime Sale coming, see if iPhone 13 has a price drop. For Android, I am buying Samsung M34 5G for a family member. A solid phone with solid overall specs, I think it will launch at 19k, and with a credit card discount it is coming to 17K. And every time I see the message "Pre-Book this phone to get a free charger", I just wanna burn the entire Apple HQ for bringing this trend of chargerless phones, but yeah you can get a free charger too (**** apple again for triggering my rage)
Apple is responsible for a lot more damage than just removing chargers (3.5mm jack, higher prices, anti right to repair, etc)

Yes, eSIM might be the next annoying thing. Nano SIMs are fine now IMO.
Yeah I mean you can get your normal sim cut to nano, so it's just cosmetic at that point but e-sim.....I understand that technology changes and evolves but no one is shoving DDR5 or Gen 4/5 SSDs. It should have been gradual (and added as an extra option, and when 80% of the population was on esim, gradually remove one sim slot and then the other, by then physical sims would have been obsolete anyway) like other tech evolutions in the industry. And the privilege Apple has in directing the tech scene.

** Le Average Android Manufacturer** Hey look people are buying Apple iPhones without chargers, well let's cut back the charger. Oh, people are ok with the headphone jack gone, and we thought every one of them was an audiophile and needed a headphone jack, cut that too.

And then there is that one Apple fanboy claiming...see everyone copies Apple, no you paperweight, it's just Android Manufactures because you opened to Apple.

At least Andy Dufresne (Shawshank Redemption) was out of prison after 10 years of digging the tunnel and shoveling through shit. For us in the mobile tech scene, it's a lot of tunneling through shit with no redemption.

And to those people who stand in line for hours (unless it's your job description like a reviewer or something) to get an iPhone or any phone for that matter, please revisit your life choices.

The only dim and let me emphasize a very dim light at the end of this tunnel is you guys. You guys who drive the actual tech demand and force manufacturers to still make phones with a headphone jack or 6000Mah battery etc etc. You guys buying reasonable phones for parents, uncles, and aunts. Salute to each one of you for keeping the balance in the force.

Enough Rant for today, over and out.

Edit: My comment was moderated and is now PG13, so no longer funny but still relevant though

Last edited:
No matter how much me or you hate Apple, I don't think anything will change. Tech enthusiasts are a minority & most people are stupid. People buy iPhones on EMI in India to show off. If you can't purchase such a luxury item with your savings outright, maybe you shouldn't splurge on it. Even if it's a no cost EMI, you can get some card discounts on full payment.

Once Apple does something anti-consumer & gets away with it, others will copy it to increase their profits.

No matter how much me or you hate Apple, I don't think anything will change. Tech enthusiasts are a minority & most people are stupid. People buy iPhones on EMI in India to show off. If you can't purchase such a luxury item with your savings outright, maybe you shouldn't splurge on it. Even if it's a no cost EMI, you can get some card discounts on full payment.

Once Apple does something anti-consumer & gets away with it, others will copy it to increase their profits.
Well, I don't think most people are stupid, just misled, I count myself as most people it's just I have gained some information and made informed choices. Anti-Trust laws, that is what we need. No matter what you say about China, those guys almost despise the West, no foreign business would ever win a case in a Chinese court. I am not saying we need that level of illegal Anti Trust, just plain old honest Anti-Trust laws. EU is fighting really hard against these guys, to the point that it deserves a 24-hour standing ovation. But now I am just being speculative; until such times let's just hope that the DIY scene lives and breaths.

The guys at Faiphone have really been doing a great Job. I hope they launch in India soon.

12 is fine, currently it's 10k cheaper than 13 on official apple site, in iPhones don't worry about specs too much, it's the seamless experience for which (non-geek) people usually/should buy them, and it's the basically the same in all the models, or as other said you can wait for diwali sale for some discount.

One thing I'd like to mention, if the budget permits just buy from the official apple site, although you do get better discount on flipkart/amazon, but I wouldn't trust them in this case.

12 is fine, currently it's 10k cheaper than 13 on official apple site, in iPhones don't worry about specs too much, it's the seamless experience for which (non-geek) people usually/should buy them, and it's the basically the same in all the models, or as other said you can wait for diwali sale for some discount.

One thing I'd like to mention, if the budget permits just buy from the official apple site, although you do get better discount on flipkart/amazon, but I wouldn't trust them in this case.
Amazon has good customer support. Flipkart is doing open box deliveries these days, so when the delivery guy opens the package in front of you & it is missing or if the device is damaged, don't accept it & don't provide the OTP, that's all.

The iPhone 13 was 50k on the last Diwali sale at FK, don't think it went that low again anywhere, even on FK afterwards. So better save money when you can. Phones are the biggest sellers on FK in terms of revenue, they will not botch it unlike PC CPUs.

The non-geek part is too stereotypical now. If one is discerning about SoC processing power, camera (esp. video quality), software support, app permissions, Watch/Mac integration or even power use through use of Shortcuts and Widgets, then iOS offers a lot more than most Android skins. So it actually has quite a lot to offer to geeks as against most Android phones which have been commoditized.

iOS offers a lot more
It does.

So it actually has quite a lot to offer to geeks as against most Android phones which have been commoditized.
To understand this deep reality, one has to use both platforms extensively, which majority of the regular geeks have not done.

Anyways, by non geek I meant it is a must for them and for the geeks it can be 50-50. (in my opinion it's iOS what they need, they just don't know it yet.... ssshhhhh !!!!!)

The non-geek part is too stereotypical now. If one is discerning about SoC processing power, camera (esp. video quality), software support, app permissions, Watch/Mac integration or even power use through use of Shortcuts and Widgets, then iOS offers a lot more than most Android skins. So it actually has quite a lot to offer to geeks as against most Android phones which have been commoditized.
I agree. Android used to appeal more to the inner "geek" a decade ago.

Gone are the novelty of these days:

Back