Max length of CAT5 wire?

Seed

Adept
I need to run a wire from outside my room to a computer in my room.. it's about 15 feet.. I'm guessing this is a pretty small distance, so there won't be any performance loss right?

See, that's what i would say too, but i've heard ppl say if you have a recent NIC then a cross-cable isn't required.

Hey, I noticed something in pairing while crimpping. And found there is difference i notice is;
in one case it works only in 10 mbps is length increased.
in other case it works fine @100 mbps.

Please light on this matter.
Shortly i will update both the cases with diagram.

andrew327 said:
100 m or 328 ft is the max limit........

lol, no.

have you personally tried going above the max limit???

The length of the cable between me and my friend is 121m to be exact and it works.

Its a cat5e cable.

Hacker said:
lol, no.

have you personally tried going above the max limit???

The length of the cable between me and my friend is 121m to be exact and it works.

Its a cat5e cable.
Dude he is asking CAT5 & u r talking bout CAT5e wiring. CAT5e is used for gigabit connectivity. Tho the cable is same but the standard wiring is different than the CAT5 one.......

andrew327 said:
Dude he is asking CAT5 & u r talking bout CAT5e wiring. CAT5e is used for gigabit connectivity. Tho the cable is same but the standard wiring is different than the CAT5 one.......

Dude no one uses cat5 cables anymore. All those international bodies which make networking standards dropped support for cat5 cables longback even if you go to lamington road and ask for for cat5, ethernet, lan cable, you will get cat5e cables.

The reason he is askin for cat5 cables is bcoz the name is famous.

If you see the specification of cat5e the max distance is 100m but as i said it also works even if you cross the 100m limit.

zhopudey for gigabit lan you can use cat5e cables (they are cheaper compared to cat6) but if the cable is going to run through areas where there is heavy electric interference go for cat6.

andrew327 ill tell you a secret, there are 8 wires inside cat5e cable but you just need 4 wires working properly for your network.

The 121m cable we have has 2 wires broken in the middle but still we can use it without any problems.

Hacker said:
andrew327 ill tell you a secret, there are 8 wires inside cat5e cable but you just need 4 wires working properly for your network.

The 121m cable we have has 2 wires broken in the middle but still we can use it without any problems.

Oh my god i didn't knewed that thanks for sharing the secret i wonder how i was able to cable my 2 phone lines around my house while networking my 2 Pcs, one lappy and Xbox together and having a 2 phone jacks at every end on the very same cable :rofl: .

andrew327 said:
Oh my god i didn't knewed that thanks for sharing the secret i wonder how i was able to cable my 2 phone lines around my house while networking my 2 Pcs, one lappy and Xbox together and having a 2 phone jacks at every end on the very same cable :rofl: .

And still u were following the textbook definition of cat5 cables. Weird :eek:hyeah:

:rofl:
Hacker said:
And still u were following the textbook definition of cat5 cables. Weird :eek:hyeah:

The thing is Cat5e is standard and even if u go to computer shop and ask CAT5e cable they will be like, ah! u want cat5 cable right :rofl:

Personally, I have seen Cat5e working at 183m-185m and I was shocked... I couldn't believe it was working and this was connected from one building to another...hanging through mid-air and crows kept dancing over it!!

Back