Storage Solutions Makin' a VCD - help please...!!!

Vince

Boogie-Man
Skilled
Guys a bit of help please,

I have a movie (in DAT format) in three parts of 120,280,605 mb...the
total comes to about 1.0 gb...is there any way i can make it to fit
into a VCD?

Dr.Divx is useful to convert to avi format which doent run in a
conventional VCD player... so is there any way i can convert/ compress
and join the above files and retain the DAT/MPG format??

I cant do so with Dr.DivX, VirtualDub, WinDVD Creator or Ulead Studio...

Please help...
Thanks

Vince

If you compress the files then u will lose VCD compliance. So the standalone vcd players won't be able to play them. A vcd will only hold about 80 min of video. You can edit out the unimportant part of the video and make it fit. But its would be better if you put the videos on two cds rather than one. If playing on standalone player is not a problem then convert the files to .avi using xvid or divx codec.

Thanks for the reply Bladerunner....

But what i also wanted to ask was -> at least to decrease the size by reducing the quality perhaps?

Yes actually you can reduce the size by reducing the quality, i.e. you can use a lower bitrate. But non-standard bitrates may not work in all VCD-players.

Well normally when you copy the Dat file to HDD then some garbage amt is added to it to make the size bigger..so that it cannot b Burnt on CD again..this is a old Trick...Do this....install Neo ...click on Create VCD...select the dat file..and Nero will automatically remove the grabage values and make the VCD for u..else you can try a New Format called KVCD..

KVCD is a modification to the standard MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 GOP structure and Quantization Matrix. It enables you to create over 120 minutes of near DVD quality video, depending on your material, on a single 80 minute CD-R/CD-RW. We have published these specifications as KVCDx3, our official resolution, which produce 528x480 (NTSC) and 528x576 (PAL) MPEG-1 variable bit rate video, from 64Kbps to 3,000Kbps. Using a resolution of 352x240 (NTSC) or 352x288 (PAL), it's possible to encode video up to ~360 minutes of near VCD quality on a single 80 minute CD-R. The mpeg files created will play back in most modern standalone DVD players. You must burn the KVCD MPEG files as non-standard VCD or non-standard SVCD (depends on your player) with Nero or VCDEasy.

Using KVCD parameters to create DVDs (KDVD), will enable you to create 100% DVD compliant MPEG-2 streams, capable of playing on any standard DVD player. This will allow you to put up to about 6 hours Full D-1 720x480 on one DVD, or about 10 hours at Half D-1 352x480.

Get the KVCD templates for TMPGEnc Here

But even if the size is over a GB and the video below 80 mins the video can simply enter into the CD,u dnr need any software......no compression needed
Vince How many minutes is the video????

The movie happens to be kung fu hustle (love it) and ats i guess 1:46:00

Dude, i was bankin on that 'ashampoo' software to do the job, but not only is it a bit confusing....heres my prob..

With that software you cant burn to VCD coz it says it has a fixed quality....but i HAVE managed to convert that 1 gig to about 620 meg using the 'create file for pc' option...but again it doesnt write into a cd as a vcd (both with this software and nero...)

Hi Vince,

Do you mean you have three files of size 120,280,605 'Bytes'? If that is the case, all three files combined are smaller than smaller than a single VCD. where is the issue? Am I missing anything her?

Thanks.
-------------------------------------------

Vince said:
Guys a bit of help please,

I have a movie (in DAT format) in three parts of 120,280,605 mb...the
total comes to about 1.0 gb...is there any way i can make it to fit
into a VCD?

Dr.Divx is useful to convert to avi format which doent run in a
conventional VCD player... so is there any way i can convert/ compress
and join the above files and retain the DAT/MPG format??

I cant do so with Dr.DivX, VirtualDub, WinDVD Creator or Ulead Studio...

Please help...
Thanks

Vince

Back