MAFIA II ~Discussion Thread~

Bluffmaster

Skilled
Mafia II

Mafia was and still is one of my favorite games of all time. What I loved about that game was the atmosphere it created and the way it incorporated the cutscenes with the gameplay, it was like playing a movie. I never got the same satisfaction from the Grand theft Auto series. GTA although being super fun always fell short on the realism factor. With even mediocre games getting a sequel these days, I used to wonder when my favorite game would get a sequel. After almost 7 years my prayers have been answered.

mafia2logo.png

Synopsis

Mafia 2 is a gritty drama which chronicles the rise of Vito Scaletta, the son of Sicilian immigrants. As the game progresses, Vito will join a crime family and become "a made man." The game will include multiple situations where the player can decide the outcome and their choice will lead to one of several different endings.

The story begins with the player character Vito returning home on leave from World War II. Vito had joined the U.S. military as a way of avoiding jail time for a botched robbery. Vito reunites with his old friend, Joe Barbaro, and the two quickly embark upon a life of crime. Their criminal ascension starts with Mikey, a car mechanic who gets in a conflict with Joe. Mikey also needs a certain type of car to chop for parts, and will pay $400 for one that the police are not tailing. Soon enough, Vito, Joe, and Henry Tomasino (already a made man) find themselves battling with, for, against, and around three crime factions: the Falconi, Vinci and Clemente families. You will later on be introduced to Eddie Scarpa (a capo in one of the three crime families)[9]

The game will contain two hours of in-game cutscenes. The original game, Mafia: The City of Lost Heaven, had a screenplay of 400 pages, opposed to the 700 pages of the sequel. Daniel Vávra, the writer and director of the original and the sequel, discussed the new angle of the game stating: "The old game was a tribute to gangster movies, a romantic vision. Mafia 2 is grittier, real, a darker world, and the effects are based in reality." The Official Playstation Magazine states: "A high body count is still promised in this tale set in a fictional city 'inspired by' New York of the 1940s and '50s, but those casualties will come the hard way -- through small-scale operations rather than mass firefights."

Gameplay

The player can learn about recent news between 1945 and the early 1950s. The game will feature a completely open-ended game map of 10 square miles. No restrictions are included from the start of the game.

The fictional Empire City is based on both New York City and San Francisco. Many small arms from the previous game will make a return, for example the Thompson M1928, the Colt 1911 and a pump action shotgun. As seen in screenshots, new WWII-era weapons like the MP40 and the M3 Grease Gun will make an appearance in the game as well as the MG42.

Interacting with objects in the environment involves two action buttons- a standard action and a "violent" action, used in context-sensitive situations. A map will be included as in the original Mafia game. The checkpoint system has been completely overhauled.

It has been made clear by 2K Czech that the cutscenes are done in the game world and in real time, rather than pre-rendered cutscenes.

Trailers

[YOUTUBE]H7opm1B272k[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]B4jUKtiY1bk&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]BtTCw_-83Io&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

:hap2:​

Re: Mafia II

^It was easy after applying the official patch. :p Mafia 2 is expected to release later this year. I am already blown away by the awesome graphics, I hope it gives GTA 4 a run for its money.

Another similar game "The Godfather II" is releasing soon, but then that is not even in the league of Mafia or GTA although its prequel "The Godfather" was a decent game.

I am just praying, praying for it not to fail as expectations are already high. Also there were rumours of Mafia II 3-4 yrs back but it didn't materialise. Anyways now that the game is FINAL, anticipation are gonna run wild.

Btw played Mafia I for the first time last month. Finished it in few days but every bit of it was exciting. The story was sublime, infact to exaggerate - it was even better than gameplay.

Also I hope they don't make the game which is just a resource hungry bloatware. It would be waste to play such a game with low FPS..

The storyline in Mafia was amazing and those cutscenes look gorgeous even today.
Gameplay was somewhat irritating because of the checkpoint saving system; hopefully they have a save anywhere system in Mafia 2.

saumilsingh said:
The storyline in Mafia was amazing and those cutscenes look gorgeous even today.
Gameplay was somewhat irritating because of the checkpoint saving system; hopefully they have a save anywhere system in Mafia 2.

So true i was just seeing the mafia ending the other day and it still looks good. Although some people may not find it very eye candy like the current games, but mafia is all about story, audio, and dialogues

I would have been just happy if they had released a year or two back using the same engine. And the new engine better be optimized and they better not screw up the PC version unlike some of the games out there

Mafia is one of the greats, I remember the theme music of brooklyn...Nice.

Its great that they are coming up with Mafia II.

saumilsingh said:

i can live with checkpoints as long as they never repeat that mother****ing car race from the original game. oh my god that sucked so much. other than that, it was awesome beyond compare (i even consider it better than vice city, which was it's direct competition at the time.)

spindoctor said:
i can live with checkpoints as long as they never repeat that mother****ing car race from the original game. oh my god that sucked so much. other than that, it was awesome beyond compare (i even consider it better than vice city, which was it's direct competition at the time.)

The race as very very annoying :mad: after several tries had to get saves and then continue

But this was fixed in a patch. After getting the patch it was easier.

spindoctor said:

:ashamed: Even i still am stuck in thta car-race :ashamed:

don't compare The Godfather-the game with Mafia and GTA.GTA is over the top but still good fun. Mafia is an experience. The Car Race mission was nightmare and I was not aware of the patch and finally cheated that mission.

Back