Laptops Macbook Air...some queries...

anish_sha

Skilled
Hi guys, Planning to get a Macbook air basically to use while travelling and i hope its the lightest yet powerful laptop i can get.. But have 3 queries regarding the same...

1.Can i install Windows Xp along with Mac OS, as sometimes may require Windows applications to run, Also will there be any driver issue

2.Where to get it at a cheaper cost? Mumbai Grey Market or USA /UK/Aus....

3.Battery backup and also whether they will replace the battery under warranty if im not getting the backup after using some days...

AFAIK, the ultrabooks are more powerful, but are more costly.

You can install "genuine" windows along side your mac using boot camp.

Cheapest cost will be in the US of A/also maybe HK.

in macbook air the battery is non user replaceable, and they should definitely replace it if not working!

vivek.krishnan said:
Cheapest cost will be in the US of A/also maybe HK.

in macbook air the battery is non user replaceable, and they should definitely replace it if not working!

How much it will cost in US/HK, any idea? the 13.3 inch one

also the battery is included in the warrantee?

1.Can i install Windows Xp along with Mac OS, as sometimes may require Windows applications to run, Also will there be any driver issue
Yes you can using parallels.
2.Where to get it at a cheaper cost? Mumbai Grey Market or USA /UK/Aus....
Cheapest is USA /Singapore after GST return and Hongkong.AUD has appreciated a lot so no point getting it from there
3.Battery backup and also whether they will replace the battery under warranty if im not getting the backup after using some days...
No replaceable but Apple will replace it for you incase the battery doesnt hold charge any more. The best thing to do is purchase Apple Care along with the laptop you will be set for 2 years.Do not buy Apple care off ebay.

Metalspree said:
Yes you can using parallels. Cheapest is USA /Singapore after GST return and Hongkong.AUD has appreciated a lot so no point getting it from there No replaceable but Apple will replace it for you incase the battery doesnt hold charge any more. The best thing to do is purchase Apple Care along with the laptop you will be set for 2 years.Do not buy Apple care off ebay.

the battery also will be covered under apple care? coz i have taken HP total care and when i went to replace battery, they told me battery and charger not covered under it...

I am planning to buy a Macbook Air (13 inches, 128 GB) from NCR or online. Can anybody suggest a good seller and a good deal?

The Air is class. I bought one last month from Maple Bandra at 65K for the base 13" model. Student discount. More or less same price in US/UK. HK is cheapest. India with Student Discount works out more or less the same(2-3K) as worldwide.

nitant said:
The Air is class. I bought one last month from Maple Bandra at 65K for the base 13" model. Student discount. More or less same price in US/UK. HK is cheapest. India with Student Discount works out more or less the same(2-3K) as worldwide.
I think you got 12% as student discount. It is now 6% only. I will wait for a better deal until this week, or else I'll get it at 6% discount.

confused b/w the Air n the Pro now.. :-( , its my first mac.... in love with Air's sleekness and Pro's power.... pls help me out...

12% at Maple. 6% at croma. My Air can do the following flawlessly. Run VMWare, with XP on it. At the same time also have photoshop and safari open. No hiccups at all. It can play Portal 2 at MAX(or close to) Details. It can play Red Alert 2 at 1440x900 on Win XP running on VMWare.

So the Air is by no regards a slow machine. Infact the Air can easily out perform the last years Pros in CPU benchmarks.

What exactly do you want to do on your Air??

nitant said:
12% at Maple. 6% at croma. My Air can do the following flawlessly. Run VMWare, with XP on it. At the same time also have photoshop and safari open. No hiccups at all. It can play Portal 2 at MAX(or close to) Details. It can play Red Alert 2 at 1440x900 on Win XP running on VMWare.

So the Air is by no regards a slow machine. Infact the Air can easily out perform the last years Pros in CPU benchmarks.

What's/Where's Maple?

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Edit: Got it. It this store in Mumbai: Mac Laptops | Maple Digital Technology International Pvt. Ltd.

anish_sha said:
confused b/w the Air n the Pro now.. :-( , its my first mac.... in love with Air's sleekness and Pro's power.... pls help me out...

if you are going for portablity than take the macbook air.you can never go wrong with the air or the pro.

nitant said:
It can play Red Alert 2 at 1440x900 on Win XP running on VMWare.

Running RA2? Can it play Yuri's Revenge also :p

To OP, as to regards whether you need the Air or the Pro, think whether you need a sexy slim not so powerful beast or a not as sexy as Air but very powerful beast.

There you have it.

the thing about the mac is.unless you are not doing something very very intensive say for eg editing a professional movie or doing some equally strainful work the difference wont show at all.i will give you a fine eg of this, my friend has a 2007 or 2008 mac mini and recently he decided to get a imac and when we did a comparison with both running lion we did not find much difference in normal tasks.the software is so fantastically optimized that it runs smooth without taking much hardware.this is the key difference you will see when you get a mac in comparison to windows or anyother o.s.remember when going for a portable especially a mac do not for a minute think about the specs[unless as i said you are doing something prof].for daily tasks the mbair and mbpro you will not find any difference at all.

you will have to take the call whether you want a mbair which imho is equally powerful as the mbpro based on aspects such as portabilty and screen size.both set the standards in their respective category's.i personally prefer the macbook air at this moment even though i own a pro.the reason is simply that its just too damn good.

I am trying hard to source a Macbook Air 13inches, i5, 128 GB for the past few days. I am located in Punjab; My brother who is helping me in the purchase is located in NCR. None of the dealers I or my brother spoke to have this model in stock. I found a dealer on ebay but he is NOT offering any Student discount. Please suggest how to source it.

@vivek, I have already called most of nearby dealers listed in Apple's resource locator, including the one you mentioned. None of the dealers have it in stock.

Metalspree said:
The best thing to do is purchase Apple Care along with the laptop you will be set for 2 years.

1. When is the best time to buy Apple care - immediately after buying the Mac or as the original warranty is expiring ?
2. Is the original 1 year warranty as comprehensive as Apple care ?

Back