low range with router

Adept
Hi..
I am having linksys wrt54g2 router with dd wrt custom firmware.. but it is giving me very less range .. even a floor exactly below my house, i am unable to catch its signal.. :(.. what to do?

I struggle to get signals three rooms away with the same router. I'm on the regular firmware. I don't think the WRT54G2 likes walls, I've heard quite a few people complain about its range/signal.

I'll be watching this thread for a solution ...... if there's any :)

What channel are you running on? If the channel is set to auto, change it to either 1, 6 or 11. Experiment with all three and see which gives you a better range/speed.

Also, make sure that there's no cordless phone base-station close to the router. Heavy interference.

use aluminium foil to double the signals :eek:hyeah::rockon::batman:

i used al. foil and the signals jumped from 2~3/5 to 5/5 :)

try different position of router n foil so that it reflect the signals in appropriate directions ....

you can get more range with your linksys if you change the same to a central room location, also you can use antenna extenders from trendnet or tp link so that the power can be boosted upto 30%.you can opt for uni or bi directional antennas as per ur requirement !!!

lilboy said:
made the foil like in the shape of a half dish. not much of a change. whatz the rt way to do it

don't make an anteena out of the foil as u wont get any boost ,just put some foil behind the router in an inclined manner to reflect back the signals that otherwise goes to the back of the router( reflect accordingly( where u want)) .....

test with different position.....

i even got a huge signal boost from 1/5 to 5/5 with certain position but now i dont remember tat position but on a n avg .u will get boost with the foil technique of at least 15% if u do it correctly...;)

otherwise if u wnt to increase range, buy an 802.11n router.:p

Back