Looking for safe area to stay in Gurugram

calvin1719

Mostly harmless.
Adept
Jun 21, 2020
Jumping in here with a question since I think it'll help OP as well - does anyone have recommendations for a winter quilt that is appropriate for Delhi winters? All I see on amazon is "comforters" that are meant for cold ac rooms, nothing for 0-1 C weather that we get.

I used to use the old school rajais stuffed with cotton or something that were really warm. But that's worn out now and I need replacements, can't find anything like that or anything similarly warm online.

rockyo27

Adept
May 24, 2020
Jumping in here with a question since I think it'll help OP as well - does anyone have recommendations for a winter quilt that is appropriate for Delhi winters? All I see on amazon is "comforters" that are meant for cold ac rooms, nothing for 0-1 C weather that we get.

I used to use the old school rajais stuffed with cotton or something that were really warm. But that's worn out now and I need replacements, can't find anything like that or anything similarly warm online.
U won't find them online....better get to a local shop and get from there

letmein

Skilled
Oct 11, 2009
Delhi
Now I am anticipating the winter here. I have been told winter is too harsh here and my flatmates were telling similar stories too. What do you guys suggest on getting prepared for winter?
Pls keep in mind I have stayed in Bangalore all my life and near Mangalore for 4 years for my college. I can tell you that I was always in shorts and t shirts. Also sleeping with Chaddar only and no heavy blankets or rugs. How should I get prepared for the winter here in Gurgaon??

Bare minimum: Get thermals and jackets from Decathalon or Uniqlo depending on your budget. Layering is key. Thermal + Shirt + Sweater should be enough for home/office/car/cab. Put on a jacket/windbreaker when going out during peak winters on a bike or auto.
Good to have: Woolen socks, woolen hat, room heater.
Hope you have a geyser installed in your bathroom. You will need it.

Quilts: In Gurgaon - Sadar Bazaar
In Delhi: Karol Bagh or Chandi Chowk

Reactions: calvin1719

booo

BA BA BA BABANANA
Skilled
Mar 4, 2008
Colodaro
nothing for 0-1 C weather that we get.
0-1C is T-Shirt and shorts weather :p

I dont know what is the quality of winter gear in India but just buy anything with down fill. coldest weathers need something like 850 down but for 0C you could get away with 650 down fill too.
My best jacket is Arcteryx which I bought some 5 years ago. it kept me warm in -15C or even colder. This is the latest version: https://arcteryx.com/us/en/shop/mens/alpha-parka
Then for regular day to day I love Eddie Bauer, I wore this for couple of years and in -10C couple of times. https://www.eddiebauer.com/p/38832403/men's-microtherm(r)-2.0-down-hooded-jacket?sp=1&color=Storm
My current jacket is Himali, it is pretty good and also the lightest of all. https://www.himali.com/products/mens-peak-7-down-jacket

My best recommendation for indian cold weather is eddie bauer. just because they are relatively well made and cheap compared to other top tier alpinist brands.

JMak

Yeah.. I am at it ;)
Adept
Oct 11, 2019
New Delhi
Winters will be harsh in Gurgaon in comparison to Delhi..
Buy 2 pairs of thermal pairs (top and bottom)
Buy winter lowers to wear at home and some sweat shirts and home wearable track suits or pullovers.
Buy warm socks to wear at home, they are a must
Indoors will be way too colder than outside all the time.
A good jacket and some pullovers for office..
A couple of warm caps/ a wind sheeter type jacket for bike commute.
Get a couple cheapo blanket with 3 or 400 to put on your bed so it feels warm in the winter

Buy proper feather filled light weight quilts to sleep.(they are suoervwarm) .. Or some good signature or Picasso double layered blankets to sleep in peak winter..
An electric kettle will a blessing to have warm water with the flick of a swiych.
If you haven't experienced winters then you are in for a surprise.. The 1 month odd of the winter in here(especially in Gurgaon, as it remains 2 to 4 degrees colder than main delhi) just makes you wish for the warmth of peak summers...