Car & Bike Looking for a helmet at around 1K range.. Online??

Guys tomorrow i need to go and buy a new helmet. which do you suggest. This helmet is for keeping in Mumbai. Apart from this as someone above suggested, do i really need to change my ninja helmet, if yes then to what and why should i change it?

I think my above post may be confusing...so here i am clearing it

I have a bike in Pune as well as one in Mumbai and at this point in Pune i have one Studds Ninja helmet and one in Mumbai as well. But it seems that major opinions are against this helmet so i have questions

1. Do i actually need to change these helmets ??? If yes then why ??

2. If yes then which should i buy for the rider ??

3. In case i buy new ones, I plan to keep the studds ninja for pillion rider. Is it ok ??

big.bAd.boi! said:
Hey, anyone tried Vega - Boolean?

Right side of the helme, on one position is giving terrible head pain.

I have a Boolean. It's quite comfortable for me. Regarding the terrible pain,I suppose your helmet is new so the padding will take some time to adjust.

Good helmets are designed with padding that is tight fitted around your head.:)

Hi guys, any helmet manufacturer in india having a size 2XL(64cm) helmet ?
my size is 2XL and i cant find one in local stores here
TIA :)

I am using this (in red and white) since last 2 years. Fits well and is quite comfortable. Haven't had a fall on my head thankfully to let you know of its protection ability, but feels sturdy which can take a fall.

Heard issues about noise in the helmet at high speed.

Never felt it to that extent that it bothered me. But then again I have stopped driving too fast (not that the Pune traffic allows me).
Also, this is the first and only helmet I've used, so I might not be the best person to review the noise.

I used LS2 and GPR helmets and crashed few times on them. so I highly suggest them. but they are not at 1k range.

@AMG - get the Studds scorpion or the Studds shifter - both are very good quality at the 2K mark.
Other good helmets are from MT/Kranos http://spartanprogear.com/ (imported by Spartan), the Kranos range starts from 3K while the MT starts from 4K onwards, but they're DOT and ECE certified.
Get a helmet that fits snugly (not loose), that is a very important aspect of choosing a helmet. Also ensure the chin strap is fastened (and tight) while riding. I see many riders who wear helmets but forget the chin strap, there's no point in wearing the helmet then!

@AMG - get the 1: Studds scorpion or the 2: Studds shifter - both are very good quality at the 2K mark.
3: Other good helmets are from MT/Kranos http://spartanprogear.com/ (imported by Spartan), the Kranos range starts from 3K while the MT starts from 4K onwards, but they're DOT and ECE certified.
4: Get a helmet that fits snugly (not loose), that is a very important aspect of choosing a helmet.
5: Also ensure the chin strap is fastened (and tight) while riding. I see many riders who wear helmets but forget the chin strap, there's no point in wearing the helmet then!

1: The scorpion is for 1.5K.
2: If I extend for the shifter, it will have to be the florescent green or florescent orange.
3: Too much of an stretch for them.
4: Will be buying online. No shops in Amritsar.
5: Needless to say.

I'm also slightly interested in the Steelbird Adonis. They tend to be around 1k.

For point #4 - measure your head with a measure tape and select the size based on that. AFAIK, Studds only makes M/L/XL sizes (the one size fits all mentality). L would be about 57-58 cms. So remember this while buying online.

Don't compromise on the helmet, it's your head after all. If you can stretch your budget by a bit, please do so. The florescent ones are good, they are conspicuous while riding. I have a yellow Sparx myself.

20150426_074706_RES.jpg

If you want something really light, get steelbird rox, I think it's 500g in weight and costs ~750 bucks. The good thing about it is that the noise reduction it offered was superior to the highest end models of studs and vega. Get this if you drive at city speeds of 50max. If you drive above these speeds then get agv, ls2, or a carbon fiber model if you can afford one. Features to look for if you are increasing your budget are changeable visor, removable lining.

Don't ever go for a open-faced /semi-open-faced helmet. I had studs ninja, it weighed 1.5 kg and was too clunky. It offers very bad protection as the chances of the helmet opening are very high.

Btw I've tried all the models mentioned in this thread, and they weigh a lot, I drive 70kms daily so I needed something light and well made, settled on ROX after a lot of demos.

Fastrack are also good - made with Italian collaboration. Steelbird suggested above also have collaboration. Reason for emphasizing collaboration is that for reasons not surprising, Indian companies have rarely bothered about testing/compliance. BS* mark is probably the most easily purchased [sic]certification.
---------------------------------------------------

Proper fit is very very important to ensure safety.

Helmets are size specific - try them out before buying. One can confirm the size and then order online, if choice is not available offline.

Color: buy light colored helmets - they are proven to be safer.

Last edited:
1: If you want something really light, get steelbird rox, I think it's 500g in weight and costs ~750 bucks.
2: The good thing about it is that the noise reduction it offered was superior to the highest end models of studs and vega.
3:Get this if you drive at city speeds of 50max. If you drive above these speeds then get agv, ls2, or a carbon fiber model if you can afford one. Features to look for if you are increasing your budget are changeable visor, removable lining.

4: Don't ever go for a open-faced /semi-open-faced helmet. I had studs ninja, it weighed 1.5 kg and was too clunky. It offers very bad protection as the chances of the helmet opening are very high.

Btw I've tried all the models mentioned in this thread, and they weigh a lot, I drive 70kms daily so I needed something light and well made, settled on ROX after a lot of demos.

1: Wow
2: More wow
3: My sole purpose of buying the bike is recreation. I am unemployed, and will be for atleast another year. So I am buying a used bike, to while away the time, and to do all the touring I can, because life may not give another chance. So extensive highway usage. Speeds: Probably 80+. Maybe 100+.

4: Thats the reason I have not shortlisted the Flip up model.
Only proper full face helmets for me.

The current list stands as:
Studds Chrome Decor (If budget is an issue)
Studds Scorpion (Combined first choice)
Steelbird Rox (Combined first choice)
Studds Shifter
Vega are being considered too, but iDunno.

1: For point #4 - measure your head with a measure tape and select the size based on that. AFAIK, Studds only makes M/L/XL sizes (the one size fits all mentality). L would be about 57-58 cms. So remember this while buying online.

2: Don't compromise on the helmet, it's your head after all. If you can stretch your budget by a bit, please do so. The florescent ones are good, they are conspicuous while riding. I have a yellow Sparx myself.

1: I just measured my head, and it is exactly 58cm. But I'm unsure as to what size to order, because i wear specs, and i am apprehensive that with specs, the L size might be a little to small.(L = 580 mm = 58cm)
The XL is 600 mm = 60 cm

1: I just measured my head, and it is exactly 58cm. But I'm unsure as to what size to order, because i wear specs, and i am apprehensive that with specs, the L size might be a little to small.(L = 580 mm = 58cm)
The XL is 600 mm = 60 cm

Suggest you go through this thread http://www.xbhp.com/talkies/universal-threads/4790-helmets.html
and also the one on LS2 http://www.xbhp.com/talkies/general-biking-discussion/29030-ls2-helmets-india-genuine-fake.html

Do not go a size larger else the helmet will be too big and that won't serve the purpose you're getting it for. There should be room for your glasses around the temple area.

Suggest you go through this thread http://www.xbhp.com/talkies/universal-threads/4790-helmets.html
and also the one on LS2 http://www.xbhp.com/talkies/general-biking-discussion/29030-ls2-helmets-india-genuine-fake.html

Do not go a size larger else the helmet will be too big and that won't serve the purpose you're getting it for. There should be room for your glasses around the temple area.

a) I have no ide how you expect me to go through the 1398 pages of that thread.
b) I don't have the budget for an LS2

Back