Laptops Looking for a good Lappy

Boot_Comp

Adept
Dec 8, 2007
I was initially planning to get a Desktop but a few factors put me in favor of a Laptop for now,

Room is quite Dusty and cleaned only once a week so a Laptop would be better.

Would be easier to move around from room to room (staying with friends now) and also easier when I shift to a new house on my own soon (hopefully). I will definitely get a Desktop then :).

So please let me know a good Laptop with the following considerations,

Usage: Programming, Reading, Web surfing, Movies, Casual gaming

Budget: 40 to 50K

Screen Size: Would like 17" (if its in the budget) but if the weight is going to be more that 4Kgs may have to rethink this. So 15" recommendations would also be great. Widescreen preferable.

Voltage fluctuations are a problem in my area (do I need a UPS or is a stabilizer enough?).

Do glossy screens have a "glare problem"? What is the advantage of Matte screen?

Don't detest any brand in particular but after seeing Hrithik singing for Acer have decided against it (Never trust a tech product that needs someone totally alien to the filed to promote it :)).

avvs_2099

Disciple
Sep 13, 2005
HP DV-9710ax.
17 incher, vista premium. 1gb ram but upgradable, c2d proc, nvidia8400
i think about 43k or so is price

Boot_Comp

Adept
Dec 8, 2007
I am getting the laptop as a desktop replacement for now. I may get the desktop after quite some time (maybe 6 months to a year after) but would rather not count on it :(

I'd forgotten to ask earlier, but is AMD a better option for laptop CPU's or is Intel better for the usage I have mentioned?

200mph

Skilled
Dec 20, 2006
intel's . stick to a 15 incher. wont be very . u will enjoy the movie and wont be huge either. in the sense u can carry it around for work also if needed in future.

Boot_Comp

Adept
Dec 8, 2007
AFAIK workplace's don't allow personal laptops. So the movement will be pretty much inside the house and very rarely on journeys (train/bus) when I travel to my hometown on vacations (once in a few months).

If the weight difference isn't much then I would prefer the 17" one, but if it is more than a kg or so in diff may stick to 15".

Also from what I've been reading Intel seems to be on top at the moment. So maybe that would be better than AMD?

gee

Disciple
Dec 9, 2007
Intel or AMD would make difference.. I would say go with AMD if you want to save a few bucks and if you really don't care you could go with Intel

techie_007

Skilled
Jun 2, 2007
www.techiesdomain.com
Howz this for a 17"?

Should be <45k :p

Compaq Presario A933TU

♣ Intel Core 2 Duo Mobile Processor T5550 (1.83 GHz) ♣ 17.0" WideScreen (WXGA) with BrightView

(Intel 965GM Express Chipset / 2MB L2 Cache / 667 Mhz FSB) ♣ Windows Vista Home Basic (32 bit)

♣ 2 GB PC2-5300 DDR2 (667 MHz) ♣ Wireless LAN / Integrated WebCam & Microphone

♣ 160 GB SATA - 8X Double Layer DVD +R/+RW Writer ♣ Carry Case

starting from Rs. 40,990 Taxes & levies extra

If you want to play it safe I would suggest a basic UPS. a 1.7-1.8k investment on a 40k or more laptop sounds sensible ;)

Boot_Comp

Adept
Dec 8, 2007
Actually after some re-thinking don't think a 17" would be a very good idea.
Even though I do not intend for it to be moved around much, if I ever want to take it around it might look awkward I guess :).

Boot_Comp

Adept
Dec 8, 2007
Hi,

What would be the minimum required VA for the laptop UPS?

Also would be great to know how do we calculate the required VA for electrical appliances in general?

techie_007

Skilled
Jun 2, 2007
www.techiesdomain.com
Boot_Comp said:
Hi,

What would be the minimum required VA for the laptop UPS?

Also would be great to know how do we calculate the required VA for electrical appliances in general?

Any basic UPS should be able to handle a lappy easy :) Dont think laptop power requirements are much :p