PC Peripherals Logitech G400 Cable Replacement

robotsmani

Disciple
Hi,
I have the Logitech G400 Gaming mouse. It used by 10months now. Currently there is cut in the center of the cable. Called service center as they told it is not possible to replace the cable and it is a waste now.

Is anybody suggest any alternative for the cable.

Thanks,
Mani

How did the cut happen?

It is physical damage and might not be covered by RMA, but go to their service centre and apply for RMA, if they accept; wait for a week (be a little patient) and get a brand new piece. Be happy, Cheerio!

The cut is because of another Mouse(with four legged one) :(. Is the RMA cover for this? Any other suggestion to replace the cable with another normal logitech mouse.

AFAIK all logitech mice use the same PCB connector. Buy a cheap (400ish) logitech USB mouse, and swap the cables :p

alternately, the quick and dirty fix - just strip the wire ends, the wires are colour coded. twist the similar colour wire ends together, cover it up with insulation tape. tie them together in a knot to prevent stresses from damaging the joint.

If you'd rather get a new mouse, i can take it off your hands at a nominal price
If you are in chennai, I can do it for you. I have a flat rate billing: 1 cheese burst pizza:p

@robotsmani I think you should go with @greenhorn's offer (if you are based off Chennai).

DIY is the best option, new mice have a startling lack of build quality. My LOGITECH G300 is showing symptoms of double-clicks random click registration but this is limited to online gaming so I am not sure whether it is a one off thanks to the LAG induced by internet OR a genuine issue.

I tried DIY on my Clip+ needed to fix the volume switch, managed to screw the complete volume controls thanks to excess drama with the solder iron (heat radiation).

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey..thank you guys...
I have already planned for the diy fix as i am a electronic/robotics hobbyist. If i open the mouse my warranty will go. So want to confirm with you guys.
Let me try to buy a old mouse from sunday market and get the cable. I was searching for the opened pic of G400 but i didn't get.

Are you guys sure the other mouse cable will work with G400?

Thanks greenhorn for the offer and sorry i am in bangalore :)

robotsmani, I've opened up around 30 gaming mice of various companies and price points, and except for the cheaper mice (iball, intex etc), where the wire is directly soldered to the PCB, all of them use the same 4 pin connector. If they use any strain relief, then you'll have to chip that away using a blade.

the G400 seems to use the same setup as the MX518
http://www.likenews.us/?i715960_8#

greenhorn
MX-518 mouse wheel was so delicate , i had opened one to remove the cable which had the disconnection issue , i went to ocllege then mom went to keep mouse up in shelf and the mouse wheel came in her hand :D Then i got a MX-518 as my b'day gift from Mom :p :p

I know I'm like 4 years too late for this reply to be relevant to the OP, but I've had a problem with the USB cord as well and I solved it in two different ways. This is basically for anyone who tries to find any information on it online (there is very little to no info on it).

1. This option:
- is time-consuming
- will teach you a little bit about soldering
- is cheap

Cut the damaged part of the cable out and solder it back together. Soldering is quite easy (succeeded on my first try) though the cables inside the USB cable (cablecaption, I know) are very thin, so you need to be extra careful. As this part of the cable will inevitably be weaker, I suggest buying cable jackets/tubes (don't know exactly how it's called in English, the cable jackets in question shrink when the heat is applied, so that they wrap the cables tightly after soldering) and insulating the soldered part. Fun fact: buying the soldering kit (together with cable jackets) is still much cheaper than buying a new G400 (go figure).

2. This option:
- is even cheaper
- is super fast and easy

Buy the cheapest logitech mouse out there (I bought logitech B100, which should be about 7-8 $ or cheaper). Replace your damaged cable with the brand new one from your cheap logitech mouse. That's it (yes, it fits).

Back