LOGITECH G300 REVIEW

LOGITECH G300 REVIEW:
gaming-mouse-g300-red-glamour-image-lg.png

Gaming peripherals have carved a niche for themselves in today's competitive PC market and most gaming enthusiasts apart from just investing in the CPU [as a whole RAM + GPU + Processor] also make a sizeable investment in their peripherals, i.e., mouse + keyboards.
From the Cyborg R.A.T. line-up to the Gigabyte M6880 there are gaming mice catering to a wide audience and budget options, this is where Logitech steps in with a claim of being world #1 in mice and having a dedicated G-series line-up of gaming peripherals ranging from mice to gaming headsets, they spawned the venerable MX 518 which had held its own in the gamer circles for the past ~5 years against a constant wave of competitors like the Razer Death Adder to the more recent Cooler Master line of gaming mice. Due for a change of guard Logitech has released the G400 and G300 in the market.
The G400 is the reincarnation of the MX 518 with a updated sensor and improved body design [shell shape and feel is same as the MX 518], while the G300 is a smaller design with an ambidextrous layout heading into the Razer Abyssuss and Gigabyte M6880 budget segment of gaming mice.
FIRST IMPRESSIONS
Upon first gazing on the mouse I had a feeling it is small, I earlier had a Razer Salmosa on my RIG detail and true to that feeling the mouse is really a tiny bit smaller than the Salmosa though the shell feels a lot more robust to the touch as well as the overall build quality is much better than the Razer.
30u4cn5.jpg

jaciud.jpg

My old Salmosa dwarfs the G300 by a wee little bit.
The G300 comes in a box that is of the same layout as the other G-series mice [G 400, G500 et al], it is a Spartan package but effective all the same, no flash like Razer but details all the features of the mouse and comes with a warranty disclaimer, quick start guide and contact info. for Logitech East-Asia. No stickers or other such goodies are bundled. The mouse sports 3 basic profiles [locked] on its on-board memory and can be customised for another 6 profiles using LOGITECH Gaming software.
34h8cwi.jpg

That is the bundle a quick start guide and contact information on the back, I know environment friendly and all but Logitech could give a few stickers at-least!!
Being an ambidextrous layout the mouse has both its flanks sculpted as thumb rests with good texture rubber making slippery grip a thing of the past. Slightly above these rests there are LED strips that light up and are customisable for up to 8 different colours [different lighting for different profiles].
ERGONOMICS & BUILD
The mouse as mentioned earlier is small, but that has not posed as an insurmountable mountain in my path that impairs my functionality while using it. Instead my claw grip has adjusted into a pseudo-claw / finger grip and I find it easy to use. The only major gripe I found while using this mouse was that cycling between the G7 / G6 in rapid succession was cumbersome though once I clock enough hours on this mouse I will get used to it. Southpaws might feel the same issue with the G5 / G4 buttons initially.
1z2og2b.jpg

Beautiful sculpted top, southpaws rejoice .
The G300 eschews the customary side-buttons on most mice in favour of all top mounted buttons to keep the ambidextrous layout fully functional for all the gamers irrespective of which hand they use, also this allows the mouse to have a very unique sculpted symmetrical shape. The lack of side buttons also made space for the bling side LED strips which allow the user to track which profile they are on.
Disclaimer: This is my personal experience for some people this mouse might be unbearable to use but users of a mouse the size of the Razer Abyssuss / Salmosa can give this mouse a shot.
Moving on to build quality LOGITECH has not compromised on this aspect, the top and main buttons [left and right-click] are made of a matte grey plastic, held in place by a glossy black plastic surface which have rubber flanks as thumb rests. The extra buttons are crafted from a hard plastic with a matte black finish which gives them a sturdy footing on the mouse and aid in giving excellent tactile response. The Achilles heel of the mouse, its scroll wheel is constructed of a polymer plastic material and although the feel and construct is good the tactile response is missing and the scroll function is very free.
25kk65c.jpg

The Red bottom -- aesthetic folks scream SACRILEGE!!
The bottom is composed of three Teflon (actually UPE) feet on a glossy red base [LOGITECH could have made it black all over in my opinion], the bottom has some specifications etched, the power drawn [via USB] and the conformance to environmental standards with the mandatory 'Made in China' stamp. Also the optic sensor is slightly offset to the left. Although not explicitly mentioned anywhere on the box OR accompanying documentation the sensor is always on.
The cable used for the mouse is standard rubber sheathed cable with a USB 2.0 port, Logitech claims to support a 1MHz poll rate and I'm inclined to believe them on this aspect. Lack of braided cable is not a great concern seeing its retail price, as I keep my cable tied up well I have not experienced any tangling issues and the rubber does not exhibit any problems of being excessively brittle [waiting for summers to see if the cable heats up and becomes slippery] the wire does not react to any humidity / temperature changes. The USB-port housing used is well made and thinner in comparison to my Salmosa's housing which being wider used to encroach upon the space of other ports around itself.
243p7jb.jpg

Little monster
The mouse can take a lot hammering, something that its size belays. The only issue I feel in the construct is the jarring red base which clashes violently with the piano black and matte grey top. The scroll wheel is another aspect that needs to be looked into, the graded clicks do not feel apt and it is the only major issue I found in an overall well-constructed and well thought out piece that is the G300.
4hta46.jpg

33jsrjq.jpg

6rhb88.jpg

This is how I use my mice, the first two are Claw-grip whilst the last is an example of Fingertip-grip.
PLUG & PLAY
The G300 is truly plug and play supportive; it comes with three default profiles in the following order “ MMORPG, FPS and Productivity. As mentioned earlier these are on-board locked profiles till you download the LOGITECH Gaming software and customise them to liking. They do their job but you will need to refer to the Quick Start guide to see which button is liaised to what function.
v79udt.jpg

Simple to the eyes, even simpler to configure.
Once the custom software is in your hands the mouse really comes into its own, you can liaise profiles to individual games / software [the profile will kick in for a particular game OR software] and if you have a good broadband connection the software will auto update the latest supported games and their preset profiles. LOGITECH has not bundled the custom software in the box and you have to download it from here -- http://www.logitech.com/en-in/support/mice/gaming-mouse-g300?section=downloads&bit=&osid=14#section=downloads.
Definitely the G300 aces out the entire competition in its price-band by offering so much customisability and it is not as if the software is very difficult to adjust to it is very intuitive and simple to use, to liaise a particular button to any function [keystroke / custom combo / game combo / hotkey / shortcut et al] is as simple as drag and drop the function onto a button OR using a drop-down list.
As I do not have an active internet connection, I prefer using the on-board profiles for which I have downloaded the custom software and used the following games to test the mouse --
RTS: World in Conflict: Soviet Assault [2007]: had to create a custom profile to liaise commands onto the hotkeys.
qywft5.jpg

Set-up for WiC control scheme, no frantic search for hotkeys / keystrokes in the midst of a battle.
FPS: Crysis [2007], S.T.A.L.K.E.R. CoP [2010]: in both these titles I could go into the game options itself and liaise / change keystrokes et al onto the mouse from their keyboard counterparts.
107rzgn.jpg

Default -- CUSTOM.
RPG:TESV: Skyrim [2011]: for this game I could again go into the game itself and carry out the necessary changes, though I was used to the keyboard so much that I returned to defaults.
FINAL WORDS: MORE MOUSE PER MOUSE
Coming to the end of this review, I have lifted the tag line from an old Tata Indica advert, just as a pun because the LOGITECH G300 is great for what is on offer and at the price it has been retailing.
I had bought this mouse after it came to my attention in the PC Peripherals section of the forum when #touzeen Sire posted a requirement for a cheap mouse for claw-grip to replace his own Salmosa.
FOR
Excellent build quality [minus the scroll wheel], plenty of features, very well structured and intuitive custom software, ambidextrous layout and a very palatable price.
AGAINST
Ambidextrous design and small size not for everyone [lack of side-buttons], mouse is on the lighter scale of things and substantial lift-off distance [~5mm].
The overall tally for the LOGITECH G300 in my views is --
2whk1me.png

and my first review to get the vaunted --
29kxlhu.png

After speaking to a few senior members I have added a few more details to the review along with the newly incepted TE badges.
I would like to thank all who read this review as well as the members who proof-read it and told me how to improve it further. Also thanks to Logitech for releasing this mouse and truly reiterating their claim as The world #1 in mice.
In Dead Space 2 the controls need to be configured completely in gaming software [CUSTOM PROFILE], in game control scheme doesn't recognize extra buttons.
mouse was purchased for Rs.1340/- from Jainex Computers, Bangalore. Prices will vary from city-to-city.

Good review man, especially the language is class
<
I had to turn on the dictionary several times
<

Thanks #JuGGa.

Nice review.

I am on a lookout for a mice too, as my MX518 is dying. I have average size hands, so I hope I can get used to the smaller size. I had the legendary MX 310 earlier, and absolutely loved that mouse (it was smaller compared to MX 518 too).

I think I will choose the G300 over G400.

Thanks just a word of caution, if possible audition the following mice before coming on the final consensus about which mouse you want to buy --

Logitech G300 --> at 1300/- it is the cheapest mouse that can run circles around established players like the Razer Death Adder and MX-518, due to the plethora of features it offers and the fact that it is compact adds to this [although it might deter palm grip habituated players].

Logitech G400 --> changing something that has a cult around it has always been a daunting process, especially so in the hardware market the MX-518's successor is not so different outside as it is within, an updated sensor, improved looks and finish make the new G400 old wine in a new bottle [nothing about that is bad], although it still lacks a few features that are carried by its younger sibling the G300, retails ~1700/-.

Corsair Vengeance M60 --> wriggling a space for yourself in a market dominated by some industry stalwarts is something that will put of most companies to diversify their product portfolio, but Corsair going from strength to strength has never backed out from a fight and the same can be said about their outing in the PC peripheral section. The M60 is a specialized FPS grunt with some really slick specifications, all this comes a little steep but let me conclude by saying you get what you pay for ~2800/- -- 3200/-.

Hope this helps, Cheers!!

^^Congrats for your new mice...
<
Is G300 better than Razer DA as i recently got my first gaming mice.I don't know much about techs of but i used the logitech mk250 wirelees combo in the past and found the pawn grip of my new Deathadder very good..especially when playing Battlefield3.I am using 900dpi in my default setting.

Is G300 better than Razer DA as i recently got my first gaming mice.I don't know much about techs of but i used the logitech mk250 wirelees combo in the past and found the pawn grip of my new Deathadder very good..especially when playing Battlefield3.I am using 900dpi in my default setting.

I cannot give a definitive answer to that, depends on which grip you use [as you said you enjoy the palm grip, it can be a little hard to adjust to the much smaller G300], from a purely functional and feature load out point of view, I would say that the G300 is a better mouse on all counts, the sensor dpi is good [not the best in class] but due to its light weight manoeuvring it on a good pad makes it as good as top class mice.

Also Logitech Warranty is for ~3 years while Razer has a 1 year + 1 year direct contact warranty.

As you keep getting used to the DA, please keep increasing the sensitivity in increments otherwise there was no point of buying the DA.

Hope this helped answer your query, Cheers!!

I just got the G300 delivered to me today. Till now I've used it for my office work (productivity profile) only. It's definitely an upgrade from the OEM mouse that came with the lappy and it feels nicer. I initially thought that this would be as small as a laptop mouse but it's actually almost same size as my Dell mouse (office mouse)., just slightly smaller. G7/G6 buttons are pain to use as of now but I hope to get used to them after some use. Would've liked to have thumb buttons but still G4/G5 is not so difficult to use. Scroll is again not the talking point of this mouse, had I have enough dough I should've gone for a mouse with that free wheeling scroller of logitech. Cable feels bit stiff at this point of time. I still haven't downloaded the software to customize different profiles, gotta do it soon.

Thanks Alpha for the review, it was crisp and precise.

I just got the G300 delivered to me today. Till now I've used it for my office work (productivity profile) only. It's definitely an upgrade from the OEM mouse that came with the lappy and it feels nicer. I initially thought that this would be as small as a laptop mouse but it's actually almost same size as my Dell mouse (office mouse)., just slightly smaller. G7/G6 buttons are pain to use as of now but I hope to get used to them after some use. Would've liked to have thumb buttons but still G4/G5 is not so difficult to use. Scroll is again not the talking point of this mouse, had I have enough dough I should've gone for a mouse with that free wheeling scroller of logitech. Cable feels bit stiff at this point of time. I still haven't downloaded the software to customize different profiles, gotta do it soon.

Thanks Alpha for the review, it was crisp and precise.

Thanks for writing in KonfuSed, I have mentioned in my review that the side buttons take some adjusting to but once you are into the mouse, they work like a charm.

May the mouse serve you well.

Back