Linux Linux n00b query

LaatSahab

Skilled
I recently installed OpenSUSE 10.3 on my systems and need answer to few questions:
  1. What is so special about Linux?
  2. What can I do in Linux that I can't do in XP?
  3. Will I need an Anti-Virus or Anti-Spyware in Linux?
  4. Where can I get apps for it? Namely Torrent,IM Clients and Media player?
:clap:

1.GNU/Linux gives you freedom.it allows modification of codes.it allows almost 100% freedom as in FOSS.Linux is the name of the kernel.this kernel is superior to windows's nt kernel as Linux kernel is almost a UNIX like implementation.today Linux servers runs for years without a restart hence serving the world all over.

2.Linux is another operating system and *NOT* a alternative to your windows operating system ,be it 2000 or XP or vista .

see here :

Linux is NOT Windows

3.Linux due to the superior system wide permission setup is almost immune to viruses.there are trojans and viruses which can only work if you login as root or administrator

see this: Linux.com :: Note to new Linux users: No antivirus needed

and :

But That's Just My Opinion. I Could Be Wrong.

(Sorry! I dont want to copy paste too much article :) )

4.unlike windows ,In Linux distros ,there are package management systems ,which when properly configured lists almost all the applications available.

For eg : in Debian based distros like ubuntu ,mepis etc.. the apt+dpkg (.deb) is used with nice gui's like synaptic manager or adept or CLI aptitude.

similarly for rpm distros like fedora ,suse YUM( a apt like implementation) is there to make it easy.

Only rarely do you ,need to search for apps in internet.

In rpm distros ,Mandriva leads :) .

and Welcome to FOSS and GNU/Linux !

^the link explains much better !

1. What is so special about Linux?
Nothing much. Its just another Operating System. Oh wait Did I mention its free and pretty much any software you need. WHy do you feel its special. Something obviously got your attention. SOwhy not give it a whirl ? Maybe a Live CD or something?
2. What can I do in Linux that I can't do in XP?
You make it sound as if someone is trying to market Linux to you or force you to use it. Linux should be used as a matter of choice or cause rather than someone shoving it down your throat. You can do pretty much everything you did XP in Linux with the exception of game sunless you don't mind playing native games for Linux and using apps like Wine , Cedega etc.

3. Will I need an Anti-Virus or Anti-Spyware in Linux?
Nope.
4. Where can I get apps for it? Namely Torrent,IM Clients and Media player?
You won't need any . By default most distros provide a good number of applications for use by default installed on your computer. but if you would like to change then you can install ti from the Repositories of the distro you use.

Cheers :hap2:

OK then , you are implying that in order to get those software I just need to pop in Open SUSE 10.3 DVD? I f I want to upgrade it to 11 then what should I do, a re-install or is there a Upgrade option?

Ryunosuke said:
OK then , you are implying that in order to get those software I just need to pop in Open SUSE 10.3 DVD? I f I want to upgrade it to 11 then what should I do, a re-install or is there a Upgrade option?

yep there is an upgrade option most of the time.

u can make a separate home partition but that is for later.

make urself comfortable with linux , now.

if u r totally noob , then u may also give ubuntu a try(though open suse is also good)

but one thing try ad have a look around in ubuntu forums.

they are probably the hugest and best forums on this planet.

do search for ur problems , practically all the problems u will run into have been answered there.

u can also try this

Ubuntu:Hardy -

Now Gentlemen. please don't start a Distro War here. :) BTW I'm learning Linux from CBT Nuggets ISOs covered in CompTIA part. Yes I was suckered into doing that course by my local NIIT people as they said they'll teach us CCNA too. That "Too" was in fine print. Nonetheless I 'm going to have Linux and Compiler Design as my subjects in my next sem so knowing Linux won't hurt either. When i try to update my Softwares in Linux I do get some error message, which I'll post in my next post. Forgive the pun, please. Apologize for the alliteration too. ;)

Back