Linux Linux DVDs

Hi!
Know any place in Delhi to buy Linux DVDs (CentOS, Ubuntu, Debian...) at nominal cost? I once saw the site of a company in GK/Alaknanda, but never bookmarked it, and can't locate it now :-(

Thanks,
tsa

:eek: order it online, they will ship u free but it might take upto 20 days. I ordered one online (from official site) got it in 15-20 days free. it was couriered from The Netherlands. If u order online then it might reach much faster, i don;t know if they accept payment from India. Get the free versions. Or simply download the 700mb versions. DVD is full of bloatwae and language pakcs u will never need.

I've previously requested and received Ubuntu CDs but they've "blacklisted" me now :) Something on the lines of "give others a chance also!"

Need these for a project/platform I'm implementing/deploying for someone else, where the extra stuff on the DVD is necessary.

No problems in downloading 700megs (woh toh chalta rehta hai ;-), but DVDs take me too long :-(

the cheapest way to get data from internet is by buying a faster internet connection.

even a 256kbps line will get you a linux CD in less than 7hrs

you can download all the distros that are available online rather than waiting for them to arrive locally.

check out distrowatch.com

2ndly, alternative option is LinuxForYou magazine.. they do supply many distros per month...you cant choose what you want though

true :hap2:

madnav said:
the cheapest way to get data from internet is by buying a faster internet connection.

even a 256kbps line will get you a linux CD in less than 7hrs

you can download all the distros that are available online rather than waiting for them to arrive locally.

check out distrowatch.com

2ndly, alternative option is LinuxForYou magazine.. they do supply many distros per month...you cant choose what you want though

@Gaurish: Thanks for the Ebay pointer. A couple of sellers are offering nice deals there.

@Vishal: Zyxware looks great! There's a LinuxBazar.com (in Delhi, I think) but they've priced CentOS DVDs at 600rs :0 :-(

It's strange that ILUG-Delhi is quite inactive these days - or maybe that action has just shifted elsewhere. Off-topic, but are any of you going to be at TEDx-Gurgaon?

A better way is to ask help from your area LUG (Linux user group), not only they will send you the DVD/CD but will guide you through the requisites ;)

So just give LUG a try :)

ILUG-D is quite sedate - atleast, that's the impression I have from the website.

I managed to get my hands on the CentOS 5.4 DVD!! Loaded it via VirtualBox, but I'm getting the following error message while booting: "could not find kernel image: linux."

Preliminary googling says there's a problem in the syslinux.cfg/isolinux.cfg? Any ideas?

when you say you got the "DVD" is it a real DVD or an ISO/IMG file???

and i thot there is no such thing as 5.4 ? isnt 5.2 the latest? plzzz excuze mah ignoranceee

edit: nevermind, i just saw the centos.org page, 5.4 is fine... not sure what problem you face...

It's an ISO.

I've made a VM in VirtualBox with the following settings:

Type: Linux, Version: RedHat

Mem: 512mb (RAM), 64mb (Display)

Boot: CD/DVD, then HDD

Storage: Primary Master = CentOS.vdi (4gb)

Storage: 2ndary Master = CentOS.iso (chained using VBox's Virtual Media Manager)

Network: Bridged

When I start the VM and choose to boot from the secondary master, I see the following:

"ISOLinux 3.11 2005-09-02 etc etc"

"Could not find kernel image: linux"

"boot: "

The VM gives the "boot: " prompt, and waits for user input.

ok at boot: prompt what if you type "install" then press enter???

did you read online guides/faqs???

another thing to try is in virtualbox , move the cdrom/dvd drive to first position in the boot order...

Vishal, typing "install" at the "boot: " prompt gives an error ("could not find kernel image: install") to the default one.

After mounting the ISO (first in Windows, then inside an Ubuntu VM), I looked inside its "isolinux" directory. Despite being the same size (366 bytes), my ISO's isolinux.cfg file is empty. This file, seen on one of the mirrors, contains the following text:
default linux
prompt 1
timeout 600
display boot.msg
F1 boot.msg
F2 options.msg
F3 general.msg
F4 param.msg
F5 rescue.msg
label linux
kernel vmlinuz
append initrd=initrd.img
label text
kernel vmlinuz
append initrd=initrd.img text
label ks
kernel vmlinuz
append ks initrd=initrd.img
label local
localboot 1
label memtest86
kernel memtest
append -

Update: I typed "vmlinuz" (as the isolinux.cfg on the mirror suggested), and a kernel began initializing! Unfortunately, a kernel panic is reported after a few seconds: "unable to mount root fs on unknown block...."

ISO mili bhi toh gadbad! I'll try to replace the contents of /isolinux and then report back to you all.

Back