Budget 31-40k Lightweight laptop for a Doctor

Hi All,

Looking for a lightweight laptop for my cousin who is a doctor, it will be mostly used for official use(preparing ppts doing research etc.) and not for gaming or any heavy duty processing. Laptop must be lightweight to carry around, durable and quick to boot since they will be moving around a lot. Budget is up to 40-45k max. Any leads will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Krishna

Hi All,

Looking for a lightweight laptop for my cousin who is a doctor, it will be mostly used for official use(preparing ppts doing research etc.) and not for gaming or any heavy duty processing. Laptop must be lightweight to carry around, durable and quick to boot since they will be moving around a lot. Budget is up to 40-45k max. Any leads will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Krishna
My suggestion would be save and get a macbook air M1. don't buy any laptop as an ultra light thing in your current budget. it will be bulky. also windows ultra light is sold for around the same price of that Mackbook air is been sold in india. but Mackbook air will serve you 5 to 6 years with ease. good updates and quality too...

The only worthwhile laptop in this price range imo is the below:
Mi Notebook 14 - 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD, Core i5 10th Gen (4core8thread), doesn't come with MS Office, will have to use an external webcam (will have to add the same to cart, will be shipped for free with laptop), good battery backup, good build quality (for the price)
Would highly recommend this. Slightly over the budget but really worth it in my opinion. Has a nvme ssd, 300nits 99% sRGB display, type c charging, fairly large 53 Whr battery, an MS office license and optional fingerprint reader.
Is that i3 a dual core or a quad core? The dell website isn't clear on that

Last edited:
My suggestion would be save and get a macbook air M1. don't buy any laptop as an ultra light thing in your current budget. it will be bulky. also windows ultra light is sold for around the same price of that Mackbook air is been sold in india. but Mackbook air will serve you 5 to 6 years with ease. good updates and quality too...
What's the point of recommending a product which is priced at literally double the OP's budget?

For a light weight laptop, you need to look at 14" options. Most of them will be 1.3-1.6 kg.
For quick boot up times, you need to look at laptops with NVMe SSD. They are very fast to boot.

This is the closest I could find to your requirements:
MSI Modern 14 AMD Ryzen 5 4500U 14" FHD Laptop (8GB/256GB NVMe SSD/Windows 10 Home/Black/1.3Kg ) B4MW https://www.amazon.in/dp/B08DYGHLN3

I found a couple of Asus Vivobooks with Ryzen 5 (which is what I own myself), but unfortunately they are HDD based, so heavier and much slower boot times. You can, however, consider this :
ASUS VivoBook Flip 14 TM420IA-EC096TS 2020 14.0-inch Laptop (3rd Gen Ryzen 3 4300U/4GB/256GB SSD/Windows 10 Home (64bit)/Integrated Graphics), Bespoke Black https://www.amazon.in/dp/B08CL1GN91

Please note that the Mi Notebook recommended above comes with a SATA SSD, and not an NVMe SSD, a fact that Mi conveniently chooses to hide by only mentioning SSD, as if the type of SSD isn't responsible for 5x speed difference.

What's the point of recommending a product which is priced at literally double the OP's budget?

For a light weight laptop, you need to look at 14" options. Most of them will be 1.3-1.6 kg.
For quick boot up times, you need to look at laptops with NVMe SSD. They are very fast to boot.

MSI Modern 14 AMD Ryzen 5 4500U 14" FHD Laptop (8GB/256GB NVMe SSD/Windows 10 Home/Black/1.3Kg ) B4MW https://www.amazon.in/dp/B08DYGHLN3

I found a couple of Asus Vivobooks with Ryzen 5 (which is what I own myself), but unfortunately they are HDD based, so heavier and much slower boot times. You can, however, consider this :
ASUS VivoBook Flip 14 TM420IA-EC096TS 2020 14.0-inch Laptop (3rd Gen Ryzen 3 4300U/4GB/256GB SSD/Windows 10 Home (64bit)/Integrated Graphics), Bespoke Black https://www.amazon.in/dp/B08CL1GN91

Please note that the Mi Notebook recommended above comes with a SATA SSD, and not an NVMe SSD, a fact that Mi conveniently chooses to hide by only mentioning SSD, as if the type of SSD isn't responsible for 5x speed difference.
Hey you're right about the SATA vs Nvme ssd difference, but for the op's use case it wouldn't matter at all. The speed difference between a SSD and a Nvme ssd for daily use purposes is practically indistinguishable, including boot times. It's a 5-10% difference at best (and that's when comparing the best desktop SSDs, pretty sure the gap will be much lower for laptop OEM SSDs since they are often lower speeds, especially in budget models like these), and definitely nowhere near the 4-5x sequential speed difference. You can check out the video below with a blind speed test between sata, nvme gen3 and nvme gen4 SSDs. When even professional video editors couldn't tell the difference, I highly doubt OP would notice the difference:

Also I would really recommend against going for a MSI laptop: they are known for being the worst customer service experience in India. Granted that others are not much better, but to date I'm yet to find a positive experience listed online, unlike for other brands where there's at least 1 or 2 positive reviews on forums and subreddits compared to the many more negative ones.
The MSI is 8k over ops budget, and tbh the only reason for it is the ryzen processor - the modern series are known for flimsy build quality so op take your gamble.
Edit: just saw that the msi one has only a 256gb ssd, which might get filled quickly.., a 512gb sata ssd would be better for op's use case than a more powerful processor but with a smaller nvme ssd - 4 core 8 thread is still plenty for basic office work (though dual core become limiting for multitasking). Would not recommend at all for the price rn, maybe under 50k it'd be a better buy.

Last edited:

answer is simple. quality product with good support. its fast and portable as well as can handle mostly all the task OP might do. and its going to perform the same down the line in few years. as I said minimum 5 to 6 years and also free OS update.

free OS update.
My 10year old laptop is still getting windows 10 updates, so that's a moot point when comparing Macbooks to windows. There are also cases when people just don't want to spend such a huge (relative for different people) amount on a laptop. For eg, if you want to gift a teen their first laptop, you could gift them a 40k laptop or a Macbook Pro. Ofc the Macbook is better, but does it fit the use case? I suspect there's something similar going on in ops case as well. However great the Macbook is, the fact remains that it's literally twice the ops budget, and maybe consider the fact that op may not want to spend as much in the first place?

The only worthwhile laptop in this price range imo is the below:
Mi Notebook 14 - 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD, Core i5 10th Gen (4core8thread), doesn't come with MS Office, will have to use an external webcam (will have to add the same to cart, will be shipped for free with laptop), good battery backup, good build quality (for the price)

Is that i3 a dual core or a quad core? The dell website isn't clear on that
It's a 2 core 4 thread processor. It's based on a much newer willow cove core with far higher single core perf than a 10th gen comet lake i5 and still very close in multi threaded workloads. But for a large number of use cases (and certainly the use case that OP described), the i3 will be anywhere between good enough to faster, and iGPU is probably faster too. There's other pros to the laptop too which I already laid out in the first post.

Haha useless suggestion. It is like customer care copy pasting standard response without understanding the op query or requirements

My 10year old laptop is still getting windows 10 updates, so that's a moot point when comparing Macbooks to windows. There are also cases when people just don't want to spend such a huge (relative for different people) amount on a laptop. For eg, if you want to gift a teen their first laptop, you could gift them a 40k laptop or a Macbook Pro. Ofc the Macbook is better, but does it fit the use case? I suspect there's something similar going on in ops case as well. However great the Macbook is, the fact remains that it's literally twice the ops budget, and maybe consider the fact that op may not want to spend as much in the first place?
Couldn't agree more. Some fans on this forum close their senses and keep repeating the same thing

answer is simple. quality product with good support. its fast and portable as well as can handle mostly all the task OP might do. and its going to perform the same down the line in few years. as I said minimum 5 to 6 years and also free OS update.
Yeah, but what's the point when the OP cannot afford it? Just because something is higher quality, I can't spend twice the money that I have.

Yeah, but what's the point when the OP cannot afford it? Just because something is higher quality, I can't spend twice the money that I have.
That's why I said "My suggestion would be to save" as the starting phrase. Its an suggestion which mostly people will not give as the max amount as been given by OP. but if given a prespective with an birds eye while keeping long term in mind, that's a more affordable solution. anyways its up to OP now :)

Having personally used the Mi 14 E-learning edition (in other words, the i3 version), I can definitely recommend the same. It is light, and definitely fast. My wife uses it everyday for her powerpoint presentations and basic word processing stuff in addition to browsing. Suits her requirements perfectly.

you could buy any of the intel old generation even 7 & 8 gen laptops with NVME SSD and good amount of ram 16gb would give solid performance and logetivity long term cost would be replacement of battery or faulty keyboard don't buy fancy laptops ,spares become difficult to source

I just came across this, fits the requirements very well, do consider this as well.

I just came across this, fits the requirements very well, do consider this as well.
Nice find. Makes a lot of sense if 14" form factor is required.

The Intel 11th Gen i3 Version is even cheaper. It has all the goodies - FHD screen, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD and 1.5kg weight.

The Intel 11th Gen i3 Version is even cheaper. It has all the goodies - FHD screen, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD and 1.5kg weight.

It is cheaper but it also has half the storage capacity and a weaker processor. Fair trade offs for the price reduction

Back