CPU/Mobo Lian Li Galahad 240mm Performance

vaibhavyagnik

youtube.com/vaibhavyagnik
Adept
I am running a 10700K on an Asus Z490-P motherboard. The cooler is a Lian Li Galahad 240mm whose radiator is top mounted with the fans pushing air inside the cabinet. I am running a modest overclock with a few cores are 5.1 Ghz, some at 4.9 Ghz and some at stock 3.8 Ghz clock. It is basically the automatic overclock that Asus does. Vcore is set to auto. My problem is that I am hitting 91 Deg C in cinebench R15, R23 and I am getting less than average scores (1904 and 9330 respectively). Even in game, I am hitting 91 Deg C and I can see that the CPU is just pulling 60-70 W and running at 3.8 - 4 Ghz. AIDA 64 CPU stress test detects throttling within 30 seconds of starting the test. CPU Idles at 42 Deg C
The portion of the radiator where the inlet goes in is getting hot but after a couple of inches, the whole radiator is basically cold.
What do you guys think, is this normal for a 240 MM AIO?
I am also attaching my game play video so that you can have a look at the temps and the clocks.

Last edited:
If your radiator is top mounted, it should ideally be an exhaust with the fan pushing air out of the cabin. (Front should be inlet while rear should also be exhaust). Try these and see if this helps?
Also, see if cooler is seated correctly on the CPU and thermal paste applied correctly. If all this does not help might need to get the cooler RMAd.

Last edited:
If your radiator is top mounted, it should ideally be an exhaust with the fan pushing air out of the cabin. (Front should be inlet while rear should also be exhaust). Try these and see if this helps?
Also, see if cooler is seated correctly on the CPU and thermal paste applied correctly. If all this does not help might need to get the cooler RMAd.

you should have the fans pushing out of cabinet. You will see a lot of changes in heat after that!
The Cabinet is CM690 III. The top has a cloth filter. Since it is filtered, it would have hindered the outflow, so I installed the fan as intakes. Currently my config is 2 120 front as intakes, 2 at the top which are intakes via radiator and 1 fan as exhaust at the back.
Do you think I should install the top fans as exhaust?

The Cabinet is CM690 III. The top has a cloth filter. Since it is filtered, it would have hindered the outflow, so I installed the fan as intakes. Currently my config is 2 120 front as intakes, 2 at the top which are intakes via radiator and 1 fan as exhaust at the back.
Definitely switch to exhausting hot air out the top, I feel that should help a lot. If you want to test things, try removing the side panel and stress testing and check temps then. I believe the hot air in your cabinet has nowhere to go (one exhaust is not enough) hence the high temperature.

This is not seem normal. If your radiator is cold, then either the pump is not working properly or there is a blockage somewhere. Check the pump cables and header settings in BIOS. Also, try changing the radiator orientation (Can try tilting the case also). Sometimes this fixes it (At least temporarily).

Certain batches of Galahad 240/360 AIO coolers suffered from a defect which caused them to clog up after a year or so. The cooling performance starts to degrade and the reduced flow can also result in premature pump failure. This issue well documented on Reddit and other forums. Do check if your unit is also affected and needs RMA.

Lian-Li: Regarding issues with our Galahad AIO affecting CPU-temperatures

Last edited:
I have no experience with liquid coolers, so below may be incorrect.

Generally we have intakes from front and bottom and exhaust from top and back top. Hot air rises up.
Also better to have more intake so that dust flows through intakes and can be managed with filters.
You can try to feel the case by hand and check if its becoming a hot box. If not, then its possible that issue is in getting heat out from cpu itself.

Update: I changed the fans of the radiator from intake to exhaust. But in doing so, the IDLE temperature is reaching 76 Deg C!. I suspect that the AIO is affected by the problem shared by @StygianClaw and whatever debris was inside has now disloged and completely chocked the cold plate. I have ordered myself a deepcool AG620. I hope it is able to tame the i7 10700K. I contacted acro on facebook for RMA, but still no reply from them

Last edited:
I contacted acro on facebook for RMA, but still no reply from them
You can file a ticket directly at acrorma.com. They will reach out to you.

Alternatively you can contact Lian-Li directly using this form and they will loop in Acro if necessary. I had to RMA a riser cable that was included with a case. I had also requested some extra countersunk screws which I could not source locally. The Lian-Li person handling my case shipped all the stuff that I needed directly from Taiwan via priority international shipping.

Update: Installed Deepcool AG620 cooler and put a modest overclock on 10700K. The processor now idles at + 7 Deg C Delta T and maxes at out around 88 Deg C under heavy load like cinebench. In PUBG, the processor now remains at 4.9 GHz and running at 65 Deg C.

Back