LG KG920 - Awesome!

Vince

Boogie-Man
Skilled
LG KG920
Expected Summer 2006
21st June 2006

Originally announced back in February, the LG KG920 handset has had a second outing at this week's Communicasia exhibition in Singapore.

The unique feature of the KG920 is the camera - it's a 5 megapixel camera phone, which would make it the highest resolution camera phone when it is launched in Germany in the summer.

It's an impressive looking device, even if it's just because of the seemingly random way that the buttons are arranged on the front. The camera is mounted on the back of the LG KG920's keypad, and the whole assembly swivels around in a really quite impressive way. The KG920 certainly isn't a pretty phone - and it's also quite heavy at 138 grams. At the risk of being a little sexist, the LG KG920 is a man's phone.

As you can see, the KG920 looks exactly like a digital camera from the back.. from the front it does look a little strange, but all the usual buttons are there.. somewhere. The 5 megapixel camera has autofocus and a strobe flash, but no optical zoom. It can take VGA quality video clips though (at 30 fps), and save everything onto miniSD cards, although internal memory is a pretty decent 128Mb,

It's not a huge device, measuring 108x50x18mm, but at 138 grams it's fairly heavy.. and the KG920 isn't even a 3G phone. There is a large 240x320 pixel display, and the LG KG920 also packs an MP3 player, web browser and email client.

We haven't seen the KG920's camera in action, but megapixels aren't everything. A lot depends on the quality of the lens, but the initial reports of the KG920's camera indicate that the camera is pretty good but perhaps not as sharp as a dedicate digital camera.

The LG KG920 will be released in Germany and some other European countries in the Summer of 2006.

LG KG920 at a glance
Available:
Q3 2006
Network:
GSM 900/1800/1900
Data:
GPRS
Screen:
240x320 pixels, 256k colours
Camera:
5 megapixels
Size:
Large candy bar
108x50x18mm / 138 grams
Bluetooth:
Yes
Memory card:
miniSD
Infra-red:
No
Polyphonic:
Yes
Java:
Yes
Battery life:
Not specified
lg-kg920-front.jpg

lg-kg920-camera.jpg

Taken from
http://www.mobilegazette.com/lg-kg920-06x06x21.htm

Ok.. maybe not SO awesome.. :p but i hope SE can bring out a cam with better MP and cam quality soon!

Nice phone.....but it is an LG :p ..... I prefer not buying Korean stuff unless they are exceptionally good and way better than the rest of the stuff......

oops.... am reading this on my SAMSUNG monitor :p......

who knows maybe 50k for it :p,if it nears anywhere round the 30k range all the other mobilees will have 2 sell for peanuts

i hope SE can bring out a cam with better MP and cam quality soon!
I dont mind even the existing 3.2mp from SE as long as they improve on the video resolution from the current Qcif.

Extract From Mobile Review:
" Over the already mentioned delay, one should add 2-3 second more, depending on the scene, which will be required for focusing, whereupon a user can trigger off the camera. On the whole in order to take a picture using the maximum resolution, you will need from 8 to 10 seconds and after this the camera will be ready for the next one."

Well that take cares of the competition :p

abhishek vij said:
Extract From Mobile Review:
" Over the already mentioned delay, one should add 2-3 second more, depending on the scene, which will be required for focusing, whereupon a user can trigger off the camera. On the whole in order to take a picture using the maximum resolution, you will need from 8 to 10 seconds and after this the camera will be ready for the next one."

Well that take cares of the competition :p

hmmm that means that the HW sensor itself aint 5MP...

reminds me of Photoacute which uses multiple VGA shots into a sing 1.3MP pic

Back